Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
So can anyone explain this new loophole where you get a defender to back into the goalkeeper when the ball is kicked from a corner? Didn't that used to be called obstruction, or even just a foul? Apparently this is the "genius" of Arsenal's set piece coach, it just looks like cheating to me
View attachment 188521
No different to every other player in the box pushing, pulling etc

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
No different to every other player in the box pushing, pulling etc
Yes it is, because if you disable the goalkeeper during a corner, you have an open goal to score. There's no secret why these cheating ****s have scored the most corners this season.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
On the plus side, while jammy Arsenal got the result, Spurs were by far the better team and if not for an own goal, and yet another toenail VAR disallowed goal, we would have won.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I only saw it during the game (including replays), so would need to look again, but at the time I was hoping common sense would prevail. Despite Taylor being the ref, I think they got it right.

Watched MOTD and the Areola incident was ridiculous. Taylor made a gaff and was completely covering his arse. It was a little like the non-penalty in the Arse vs Bayern match, with a massive oversight from the officials. Gakpo was within his right to go for it and Taylor should've let play continue. Fortunately for us, he blew before Gakpo had the opportunity! Who'd have thought we'd ever get a dodgy decision in our favour against Liverpool?!

Re: MOTD- 5 minutes of Liverpool analysis, zero mention of WHU. Utter bullshit.

With the kids, I haven't seen MOTD in years but it has been going down hill badly for years. You used to get proper analysis from Hansen etc. now the most in-depth analysis you get comes from Alan Shearer, who has all the insight of a retarded pub bore.
I saw him defending Mo Salah cos Salah has done so much for Pool. Ehhh, so that justifies a hissy fit when you don't start…..cos you have been **** recently!? I haven't seen a single Liverpool fan say Salah was in the right or should have started.
And your point about them concentrating on "big" sides when they play/win/draw/lose is very valid.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I liked the ref missing Rice volleying Davies while stood six feet away. Not like the ref was look straight at it either. Shocking.

lejackal

Grand Master
They still got the penalty though, VAR did what it should. As for obstruction on the keeper Arsenal cannot be doing anything illegal under the rules of the game as they've done it all season, ergo it's not cheating.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Oh aye, VAR did its job. I just don't get how the ref missed it.it was literally right in front of him.

"Nah lads, he got the ball"

Attachments

• 20240429_071758.jpeg
    20240429_071758.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I watched a bit of Chelsea Spuds last night. Not a great game. Chelsea with 14 players injured.....my heart bleeds....and Spurs woefully out of form.
TBF to Spurs I thought they actually played ok. They are just a side in woeful form. You could see players runs and passes just weren't quite timed right and little things just weren't clicking. Kulesevski gave a few a few daft free kicks, including the one for the second goal. But we all know Spurs will click on Sunday at Anfield. I'll call it now, Liverpool will dominate possession, created 27 chances, have 3 shots on target, all straight at Vicario, and Spurs will get 3 chances on the break, score them all (probably that hateful diving donkey Richarlison and Kulesevki will have the game of his life after I slagged him for giving away daft frees) and some random who hasn't scored for 30 years will produce a thunder bastard into the top corner as Spurs 'cruise' to a 0-4 win.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Nah as I said a few pages ago, I knew we wouldn't win any of these "big" games. We might scrape a win past Burnley and Sheffield United to finish on 66 points, but even though we've been better than Chelsea for 5 years we always find a way to lose against them for some reason. What will be interesting to see is what happens in the Spurs City game, I hazard a guess most fans will be supporting City as we can't finish fourth now anyway (and no doubt Arsenal fans will be supporting Spurs)

lejackal

Grand Master
Not a fan of the penalty, but everyone else does it, so when in Rome.

Not a foul on Raya (especially how we play corners every week)

Lucky to a degree but we battered them in the first half.

Last edited:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
But we all know Spurs will click on Sunday at Anfield. I'll call it now, Liverpool will dominate possession, created 27 chances, have 3 shots on target, all straight at Vicario, and Spurs will get 3 chances on the break, score them all (probably that hateful diving donkey Richarlison and Kulesevki will have the game of his life after I slagged him for giving away daft frees) and some random who hasn't scored for 30 years will produce a thunder bastard into the top corner as Spurs 'cruise' to a 0-4 win.
Well you got that bang on Weasel! You forgot this is Spurs you're talking about, the team nobody in the history of football has ever had an off-day against. On the contrary, teams play their best against us, doesn't matter whether its Fulham or Liverpool. I'm supporting somebody else next season, might give Ipswich a go.

And where have this Chelsea team come from? Again, could they not have had their **** patch (which has been 75% of the season) somewhere around a Spurs fixture!?

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Thought I'd post from a Luton point of view.

Not looking good, and will be playing championship football again next season by the looks of it. Well, at least we finally reached the PL after 32 years of trying and climbing back up from NL the way we did will live in the memory always. The PO final last year is a day I will never forget aswell.

It's been good seeing some of the world's best, but in all honesty the PL has completely fxcked English football the way it was. The double standards when it comes to FFP etc really doesn't sit right and until the likes of City, Chelsea etc are punished then let the. Ig 6 piss off to a super league and get real football back. Its just full or primadonna's, spoilt little brats and worse of all VAR.

I'm actually quite happy to be going down, because this season itself has just about paid for our new home and has put us back on the map. Had a lot of visiting fans tell me this year that we are a team with a lot of fight and spirit, and we even ran some of the big boys close for points.

Lastly, I thank God that Tom Lockyer is well again. That to me cap's off a great and unforgettable season in the PL.

Lee

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Well you got that bang on Weasel! You forgot this is Spurs you're talking about, the team nobody in the history of football has ever had an off-day against. On the contrary, teams play their best against us, doesn't matter whether its Fulham or Liverpool. I'm supporting somebody else next season, might give Ipswich a go.

And where have this Chelsea team come from? Again, could they not have had their **** patch (which has been 75% of the season) somewhere around a Spurs fixture!?
I got bits of it. Pool did create nearly 27 chances. Nunez not being on the pitch did help the conversion rate slightly. I got Richarlison scoring too. He's like Calvert Lewin, does FA all season (ok Richarlison got a good few earlier in the year) then scores every time he plays Liverpool.

That Gomez boot at head height could easily have been given as a pen. Still not sure if he got eh ball first or not, but then, does that even matter these days? It's probably one of those if the ref gives it VAR doesnt over turn it.

I did see Palace absolutely ****ing Utd last night. It was a proper beating from what I saw (3 mins before the second goal onwards). I have seen people describe Casemiro's 90's as "among the worst ever performances in the history of the PL." As first I laughed and thought it was a stupid exaggeration. Then I thought about it. They have a point. He truly was appalling. I also thought Onana could have done better for a few of the goals. They weren't "soft" as such but I think a good keeper, like Alison, or a good shot stopper, like DDG, gets to at least one of them. Maybe I am being harsh though. No Utd player can hold their head ip after that game.
ETH to get the boot now?

I'd take Eze and Olise at Liverpool. Palace will do well to keep of them both this summer. Rumour a few weeks ago was they would consider offers of 60m plus. That's probably had a few million added on to it now.

Ohh and fair ****s to Luton @_Lee_ they have been a breath of fresh air in the PL. I'd like to see them stay up, especially at the expense of some of the yoyo clubs that offer nothing but stink the place out for a year or two at a time. Luton have shown you can have a go, on a budget, and not be an embarrassment. Far from it. They are a credit. Here's hoping @edd_jedi Ipswich are the same next year, but that they stay up. And Utd go down lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom