Premier league predictions thread 2023-24

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
6) Chelsea award for team that manages to be worse than shite, despite having a solid CL squad Spurs
Solid CL squad :ROFLMAO: we have one good player and about 3 OK players, Spurs are miles away from having a solid CL squad!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think Liverpools defence was fine, any defence is going to struggle when the opposition just walk through the midfield. Hopefully your right though @edd_jedi 😂

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I see where you are coming from. Half of the problem With the defence last yr was the lack of cover from the midfield. That will obviously be solved by not buying a holding midfielder. Teaching TAA how to play RB would also help.
Pool's summer overhaul has been massively underwhelming. They will either be there or thereabouts in the non City chase for the title (ie the race for second place) or they will be scrapping for a EL/EC spot. I can see them being a Keegan type side, a lot of high scoring games

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well it was genuis of Daniel Levy (again) to sell Harry Kane the day after the season starts, so there's no opportunity to actually spend the money or give the new manager a chance to bed any new players into the team :rolleyes: How is this fool in charge of a football club?

As for Kane leaving, I'm obviously sad but that ship sailed five years ago. As good as he still is, he's got a few years left at best, and you can't build a new team around a 30 year old (see Man United a couple of seasons ago with Ronaldo.) So in one sense it's exciting times, starting afresh, however I now have zero expectations for this season. Hopefully we can do an Arsenal and go from zero to hero in a couple of years.

lejackal

Grand Master
Hopefully we can do an Arsenal and go from zero to hero in a couple of years.
Not with your current set up you're not, unless I'm missing something you've not ripped apart and rebuilt the whole scouting and recruiting team? I could be wrong but you've got a lot of work to do - Arsenal didn't just appoint Arteta and then hey presto, title challenge.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It will be interesting to see how much of the money Ange gets and how he spends it. He was good at buying random rough diamonds at Celtic.
When Bale left Spurs wasted huge chunks of the money, they can't afford to do that this time.

The Caicedo saga drags on. I have no idea what's happening. But I don't remember ever seeing anything as cocked up as this. How Chelsea meet FFP I will never know.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Not with your current set up you're not, unless I'm missing something you've not ripped apart and rebuilt the whole scouting and recruiting team? I could be wrong but you've got a lot of work to do - Arsenal didn't just appoint Arteta and then hey presto, title challenge.
No but you were in a pretty sorry state when Arteta took over a few years ago right? Kane left today and Ange hasn't managed his first competitive game yet, very early days in the rebuild process (literally the first :ROFLMAO:)

lejackal

Grand Master
No but you were in a pretty sorry state when Arteta took over a few years ago right? Kane left today and Ange hasn't managed his first competitive game yet, very early days in the rebuild process (literally the first :ROFLMAO:)
Absolutely, but it wasn't just the manager, it was the whole behind the scenes structure.

lejackal

Grand Master
It will be interesting to see how much of the money Ange gets and how he spends it. He was good at buying random rough diamonds at Celtic.
When Bale left Spurs wasted huge chunks of the money, they can't afford to do that this time.

The Caicedo saga drags on. I have no idea what's happening. But I don't remember ever seeing anything as cocked up as this. How Chelsea meet FFP I will never know.
Caicedo transfer to be resolved today at the bridge, there'll be a tug of war between Klopp and Poch using a half and half scarf, winner takes all.

At this point though the managers must surely be questioning the guys commitment? Not to mention having to deal with the dickhead agent in future contract talks (or more likely his move to Saudi next year)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed on his agent. The fact he seems to be ****ing about would make me walk away, but given how few decent DCM's are about and that the season has started, I suspect both clubs are holding their nose and hoping they can persuade Caicedo to fire him after the deal is signed.
Yer man must be getting himself the kinda of reputation that even an agent doesn't want. Good agents are leeches, he is as far from a 'good agent' as you get.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I wasn't looking forward to the Spurs game yesterday for obvious reasons, but while a draw isn't a great result, the performance was very encouraging. Ange made some brave decisions dropping the likes of Lloris, Dier and Hojberg, it was great to see Bissouma finally involved, and Van der Ven seemed like a decent defenfer. Maddison seems like the long lost Eriksen replacement we've been needing. It was a shame Romero went off injured, I think we might have won if he'd stayed on. No real impact from Kulsevski, Richarlison or Son, but to draw a game with none of your forwards performing is pretty good going!

lejackal

Grand Master
Couldn't ****ing help myself, could I?

16) The Divock Origi award for the signing of the summer Timber
83AFFC4F-27DC-4493-89FB-22AB3CF5BECD.jpeg

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
On the subject of dodgy penalties. HOW THE **** did VAR NOT think that was a clear and obvious error last night.
Onana gets nowhere near the ball and cleans out the Wolves boy. If that isn't a foul, WTF is!?

Chalk one very lucky decision up for Utd, and one very unlucky one up for Wolves (who seem to get more than their fair share of **** calls, remember the City penalty where it hits their defenders side and armpit).

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I thought it was a pen for sure last night and was pissing myself when he didn't give it. If a player does that to a keeper it's a foul every time. Still a good jammy win for Utd. 3 points better off already than last season after one game.😂

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
So far the ONLY people I have heard or seen who don't think it was a penalty, bar the ref (who may not have seen it) and the VAR retard (who ****ing did) are ETH and Onana.

Surely if you are ETH, you have to be honest and admit you got away with one? Not like the ref is gonna go back and change his mind cos you admit it should have been a penalty, and the world and his dog can see it's a pen and you're talking shite. Even half hedge your bets and say "I've seen them given." But to deny it's a pen is just dumb

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't know pretty much every manager ever always does the same. You don't want to admit you've been given something by the officials. Anyway we had a penalty shout in the first half for hand ball! 😂

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
1) Which Man City will win the league? Man City
2) Team who finishes second behind Man City? Newcastle Utd
3) The other two CL qualifiers, in order. Liverpool, Arsenal
4) The three sides relegated from the PL. Luton, Sheff Utd, Everton
5) Team that massively exceeds expectations.
6) Chelsea award for team that manages to be worse than shite, despite having a solid CL squad: Man Utd
7) Top scorer in PL: Haaland
8) Top assister in PL: Maddison
9) First manager sacked: Moyes
10) FAC winner: Man City
11) Worthless Cup winner: Brighton
12) CL winner: Man City
13) CL runner up: Real Madrid
14) EL winner: Liverpool
15) UEFA Conference winner: Aston Villa
16) The Divock Origi award for the signing of the summer: Edson Alvarez
17) The Richarlison award for biggest waste of money of the summer: Havertz
18) Random predictions.