Premier League 23/24 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I missed that bit. I did think the tackle before the one on Benrahma, and the tackle on him, were both fouls. I can see why he got annoyed, but they weren't ridiculous. I dare say if I watched any game I would see tackles like that not given.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
We weren't great today vs Sheff Utd, but we were completely robbed by the referee and VAR. Firstly, their pen is normally a free kick for the keeper. Areola makes a bit of a hash of it coming out, but McBurnie's arm is right across him and he got absolutely smashed in the face.

Then (way worse imho) the ref bottled giving us a blatant last minute pen and VAR apparently didn't even check it.">January 21, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, that's a penalty. Like the one at the start of the season where Onana punched the Wolves boy. Stonewall pen. You can, MAYBE, understand the ref not giving either as both were home teams in the last few minutes but ehh VAR is 200 miles away and has the benefit of replays. It's pretty much the definition of what it was brought in to do.

On the note of daft decisions. I give you this….

One is a red card. The other, isn't even a booking.……

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
No, no, no. You're making the same mistake I made, and thinking identical fouls should get identical punishments. According to the referees AND VAR the first one is fine. Doesn't even warrant a booking. The second is a shocker and warrants a red and a three game ban.

Now, Curtis Jones's red was harsh, and the 3 game ban was compulsory. But it is the inconsistency that pisses me off. Those two tackles ARE identical, but how the Kluivert one wasn't even a yellow I will never know. Arguably the precedent had been set with Jones' one being a red, I think there have been a few similar to his that got reds too.

Cue PGMOL coming out during the week and saying it should have been a red, in true captain hindsight fashion.

lejackal

Grand Master
IMG_1690.jpeg

Just to change things a bit - we all love European competition and the fantastic groups/seeding/draws - especially @weasel

This is part of the last 16 round from the champions cup. All four teams came from the same group. Leicester played Leinster yesterday in the last group game.

In the whole round there is one new fixture, all the rest are group buddies.

Talk about making a competition boring - at least with UEFA you generally get the "ooh, not played them before/for a while" factor.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I bet your happy @weasel Ireland Hockey team qualifying for the Olympic Games! Fantastic achievement.
Aye, I heard that the other day. I've totally lost track of hockey since I stopped playing, and TBH never really felt any affinity to the Ireland team. Had I been any good it's theoretically who I would have played for, but in a non sectarian way, it isnt my country. I'm from Northern Ireland. We don't play international hockey like Wales/Scotland and England do. It's no biggie. I just don't feel any more attachment to the Ireland team than you guys would to the Wales team. Nice to see them do well, but ambivalent if they lose. The joys of living in this part of the world lol.

View attachment 187033

Just to change things a bit - we all love European competition and the fantastic groups/seeding/draws - especially @weasel

This is part of the last 16 round from the champions cup. All four teams came from the same group. Leicester played Leinster yesterday in the last group game.

In the whole round there is one new fixture, all the rest are group buddies.

Talk about making a competition boring - at least with UEFA you generally get the "ooh, not played them before/for a while" factor.
That is a truly dire draw. The fact UEFA keep teams apart who have already played is about the only thing they get right. I assume whoever runs the eggchasing cup will now bring that rule in too

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Can't believe he's been there 9 years! Where's that time gone? Alonso in I reckon. That or he'll do a u-turn and he signs a new 6 year contract.

lejackal

Grand Master
IMG_1789.jpeg

If they're dumb enough to appoint Gerrard in anything other than an ambassadorial role they deserve relegation

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
****.ING.GUTTED

Agreed on Gerrard getting nowhere near it. I HOPE there are enough ppl at Liverpool who saw his time at Villa and realise he is far far from ready. Plus ex player managers have hardly had a good record recently, him, Wazza, Fat Frank etc. all terrible.

Alonso is the stand out candidate and it sounds like Leverkusen wont stand in his way. The only worry is he has only a single year of managerial experience. But I guess Pep and Zidane did fine (albeit in a 2 team league). Alonso has taken a mid table German side, who were in the drop zone, and has them sitting top of the league ahead of Bayern. He was only denied a European trophy by Jose/Roma doing what Jose does best and setting up shop, diving, time wasting, cheating, and getting ridiculously lucky (look the match stats from that game, it should have been 4/5-0) the omens are good with Alonso, and the style of play is broadly similar. He also has a bit of an aura about him.
If he doesn't fancy it, or ends up at Bayern/Real…..hhmmmm. I think we can disregard Ange cos Levy will want 2 billion quid and Pool wont pay that. Nagelsmann I'm not sure on. DeZerbi I would have no objections to, but the issue there may be the step up in level/pressure.

It's a massive call for the Pool Board though. **** this one up and we have all seen what happens, Moyesy, Ole, Ragnick, Emery at Arsenal, any one of a dozen Chelsea managers, Tim Sherwood, Jose (at Utd, Chelsea the second time AND Spurs) etc.

Still gutted though. I knew it would end eventually but I thought he had another year or 3 in him yet, especially with the team playing so well this year.

lejackal

Grand Master
Emery was the wrong club at the wrong time - the Arsenal issue was the rest of the football management, not Emery. He's astute, tactically aware etc - maybe a bit "we'll score one more" (apparently he had his first 0-0 in England the other day)

lejackal

Grand Master
Oh, and on the ex player manager front (from a podcast earlier) the best appear to be ex number 6s/holding midfielders….Pep, Arteta, Alonso, Carsley

Something to think about, Jorghino at Arsenal looks to be being groomed that way

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I agree on Emery. I thought he was a good appointment at the time and was surprised how badly that went. I mentioned him more cos his time at Arsenal was, not a 'disaster' but hardly a success. I do rate him as a manager. I wasn't implying he's ****, just his stint at Arsenal was pish.

Interesting on the number 6's. I guess the counter argument is Zidane and Luis Enrique. Neither of whom were number 6's and both won a few things, but with the caveat of being in the glorified SPL that is La Liga.

It is going to be interesting to see who Pool appoint. It's a proper sliding doors moment. Get it right and the club continues from where it is, **** it up and we all know what happens. Years of progress can be destroyed in 6-18months.

I'm obviously biased, but I think Klopp goes down as one of the five best managers the PL has seen. Along with (in chronological order) Fergy, Wenger, Jose and Pep. You can probably make arguments why each should and shouldn't be in there, albeit the 'shouldn't' argument is fairly weak and more from bitterness. But for me those five are head and shoulders above the rest.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Emery wasn't backed or given a chance like Artetta IMO. Klopp is a massive loss for the PL in general. Without him over the last 9 years Man City would be going for there 7th league title in a row this season. Imagine how boring football would have been without him!

I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp made a return to Liverpool at some point. One things for sure he's leaving Liverpool in great shape. Not many managers leave on there own terms these days.

I agree completely with you @weasel Klopp is in the same bracket as all those managers and apart from Wenger has probably had the least resources to achieve what he has. Imagine if he had the same backing as Pep, he plays football that is infinitely more entertaining than Pep. Perhaps that would be my only criticism that if he hadn't always played rock and role football he may have had one or two more UCL in the bag.

Thank god he hasn't! 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom