Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
Living in Coventry we wanted them to go up, good for the city etc but yes, well done Luton

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I can't believe it. Just got back. Can hardly speak but am still on the booze so that will soothe that. Just makes me so proud, I was there during rhe NL days and remember getting beaten by amateur teams but now we are back.

I just hope Tommy Lockyer gets sorted out. It was very worrying when he fell over today but his dad just said he is fine and talking.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, fair ****s to Luton.

Commiserations to Coventry, there wasn't much between the sides and that is a horrible way to lose. Hopefully whoever missed the pen doesn't get dogs abuse over it. When you are number 7 to take a pen you can't really expect it to into the bottom corner every time (though on target would be a start).

lejackal

Grand Master
The new season fixtures have been released this morning.

Forum interest for the opening weekend has Arsenal starting at home to Forest, Man U welcoming Wolves, Luton have a date on the coast with Brighton, Liverpool & Spurs go to west London to face Chelsea & Brentford respectively and West Ham kick off away to Bournemouth.

Apologies if I've missed your team, but I think I've remembered everyone that normally posts!

So who's happy with the fixtures and who thinks the PL has conspired against them?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Pool away to Chelsea the first week then away to Newcastle in the 3rd week. Not sure many clubs will have a harder start.

Then a lovely run around xmas, Utd (H) Dec 16th, Arsenal (H) Dec 23rd, Burnley (A) Dec 26th and then Newcastle (H) Dec 30th.

Three home games but feck me, Utd, Arsenal and Newcastle.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wolves home, spurs away, Forest home and Arsenal away. Probably 6 points from first 4 games for Man Utd.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Every season I look at the fixture list and think it looks unfair, but I guess you have to play everyone eventually! Serious point though, momentum and confidence are huge so starting with an away game always puts you on the back foot, it would be interesting to see stats over time on how teams that start with an away match do over the course of a season. An obvious example was Arsenal being bottom of the table with 0 points after 3 games, I think the season before last?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Some teams, Pool and Luton, have asked to start with away games due to on going work on their grounds.

I take your point though. I think Arsenal's fairly easy start to last season helped them build momentum. I guess if Pool beat Chelsea and Newcastle that's two tricky away games won and nice confidence booster as well as a leg up on two sides who will be expected to be in and around the fight for the CL spots. It's probably swings and roundabouts, an away game against City is different to an away game against Everton/Bournemouth. Like wise, a home game against City is no banker, whereas a home game against Everton/Bournemouth is a lot more favourable.

lejackal

Grand Master
At the business end of things games against sides facing relegation are tougher in theory than the same team in October. Also I'd potentially rather have Anfield away in August than once they've got a bit of a head of steam.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
At the business end of things games against sides facing relegation are tougher in theory than the same team in October.

True dat, on the flip side, playing a newly promoted side early in the season when they are fresh and full of confidence from their promotion/keen to impress the fans can be a lot harder than playing them midway through the season when they have been ground down by the relentless nature of the PL and defeat after defeat. Or when they are already down.

It's all swings and roundabouts. You can find an argument for and against playing most sides at any stage of the season. Bar getting City between CL semi finals when they have already won the league and have a knock out tie in the balance and are thus gonna rest half a team. Even at that, City's second team beats most teams in the league.

Mbappe saying he wont extend his contract may help Spurs. Real were probably an option for Kane, and they will go for Mbappe over Kane every day of the week. Mbappe is better and younger. Given Levy doesnt seem to want to sell to another PL side without getting proper top dollar (100m+) that probably leaves Bayern, who won't pay that, or Utd/Chelsea agreeing to being ripped off. Not sure I can see any of those happening.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
We've not had many good trips to your place in recent years (last season aside)
Yeah we have a shocking record at The Emirates but it's not even the results that put me off watching, just the animosity of the games.

lejackal

Grand Master
834E7F04-25BD-4463-A29B-AE2F85B1CFF6.jpeg

Now Im all for keeping prices low but this surely must get laughed at?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes seen as Chelsea have turned down an offer of £40 million from Man Utd for Mount. 1 year left on his contract.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
What's all this about Arteta going to PSG and taking Saliba and Odegaard with him and Saka going to Citeh?

Latest posts

Top Bottom