Premier League 22/23 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
On a lighter not I just checked the beeb for the preview of tomorrow's game and also Lawros predictions only to remember he retired and now I need a new pre round routine! I know he was biased but it's been a part of the weekend for years and years!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah it'll be weird without Lawro's predictions, although I'm not going to miss them as he had a talent for finding an Arsenal or Chelsea fan every week to join him. It's Chris Sutton instead now:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I bet nobody had money on Sessengon or Dier scoring today. I rolled my eyes when I saw them in the starting 11, I guess Conte knows best! Spursy start to the game but a convincing final three quarters.

The Fulham vs Liverpool game was decent, if they play like that regularly (Fulham) they'll do alright, definitely deserved to be ahead at half time.

lejackal

Grand Master
I bet nobody had money on Sessengon or Dier scoring today. I rolled my eyes when I saw them in the starting 11, I guess Conte knows best! Spursy start to the game but a convincing final three quarters.

The Fulham vs Liverpool game was decent, if they play like that regularly (Fulham) they'll do alright, definitely deserved to be ahead at half time.
I didn't see it although I was surprised Leno wasn't in goal- got him in my fantasy team as well 🙄

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Fair ****s to Fulham they deserved a point there. Pool were ****ing shite though. How you go from comfortably out playing City to scraping a point against Fulham in the space of 6 days I will never know.
Thiago off injured helps as well.

Just a bad week at the office.

lejackal

Grand Master
Fair ****s to Fulham they deserved a point there. Pool were ****ing shite though. How you go from comfortably out playing City to scraping a point against Fulham in the space of 6 days I will never know.
Thiago off injured helps as well.

Just a bad week at the office.
It must be tough for them to stay motivated when they keep getting points tallies that would cruise the league for most of the previous 25 years and yet have only have the one championship in the bag

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Ten Hag booed off at half time in his first game, with United 2-0 down against Brighton who have never won at Old Trafford before.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes I'm really surprised Man Utd lost today, especially with 9 out of 11 players starting that featured last season (the worst ever season for Man Utd in the PL) he wasn't booed, the directors and one of the Glaziers were in the crowd, they were booed. Ten Hag basically has a free pass this season and rightly so. The Glaziers have no one else to blame for this mess but themselves. You can't polish a turd.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed @theforceuk. I was amazed that a defence with Fat Maguire at its centre and a midfield of Mcfred was ripped apart and made to look very bit the Championship level it is. I mean, who saw that coming? They did so well last year too....................oh, wait. Hold on!

Ten Hag probably does deserve grief for starting Fat Maguire over Varane, assuming the latter is fit. Varane has won a few things in his time. Minor trinkets like five Champions Leagues and a World Cup, which is, admittedly, nothing compared to Harry Maguire and his three relegations and conviction in a Greek court.
But he had no options with the midfield two. The Board haven't signed anyone, and their continued flirting with DeJong gets more and more embarrassing every week. Three months and no signing, take the hint FFS. He has as good as said he doesn't want to leave Barca and wants to play in the CL. UTD are not Barca and aren't in the Champions League. Move on. Try and sign someone else. FFS Spuds got Bissauma for 25m, Utd could beat Spurs in a bidding war. Though Spurs are more desirable club to play for ATM. But they would have had a chance there, and Bissauma is EXACTLY the kind of player Utd need in midfield.

Now we hear Utd are after Aurnautovic and Rabiot? Dafuq? One is 34 and was a lazy **** 5 yrs ago at Stoke so is hardly going to work now. Just what Utd need, another forward who won't work. Instantly adding to the work rate and pressure their rock solid midfield is under. The other is a decent player but has been trouble at every club he has been at and has had a questionable attitude. Again, ideal for Utd where everyone is famed for pulling together and never throwing a manager under a bus.

The club is such a shambles.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I just feel like crying now, Aurnautovic is just a bad apple through and through. Morally wrong signing him. I'm behind Ten Hag but not dropping Harry Maquire with the style of play Ten Hag wants is baffling.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Utd fans on Twitter trying to organise a boycott of OT to get the Glazier's out.

Yep, that'll work.

Buy your season tickets and then don't go. Give them the money and don't turn up. Genius. The Glazier's will be desperately phoning round anyone they can begging them to take Utd off their hands! :rolleyes:
FFS even if Utd's income dropped to zero the Glazier's will stay pay themselves their "consultancy" fees. All that will happen is they will force the club to take out a loan. Given the money sloshing around the PL and the money making machine that Utd are off the pitch ("official noodle partner" anyone?) their income is never going to drop to zero. Even if it did there are a good few assets the Glazier's can mortgage, OT itself for a start, to allow themselves to be paid.

The ONLY way you get rid of them is to buy them out. Simple as that. They won't care if OT is half empty, if the morons who have paid them money to be be there chant songs about them, they won't even care if Utd end up in League 1, as long as the club is theirs they will leach money out of it. The worst that happens to the Glazier's is the bank reposes Utd and the Glazier's lose their free income. They have not a single penny invested. Their only loss will be a loss of future income.

lejackal

Grand Master
They could presumably sell every share and not have to pay the debt back as the debt is on the club?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
£5 to £6 billion they reckon the Glaziers would sell for if the fan base continues to disrupt the club. Then another £2 to £3 Billion on new stadium and squad. I agree the fans should have not renewed season tickets, but I guess not going in the stadium is better than nothing, it will impact the view of sponsors for future deals. Team Viewer have already said they will not be extending the present deal.

The fans are actually the biggest problem, as the fan base is so divided. We spend all the time argueing amongst our selves on who's the problem, all the while playing into the Glaziers hands. The worst thing for me is a Glaziers style take over is not aloud in the UK any more, so why aren't they forced to sell?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I would be surprised if they sell for 5-6bilion. Chelsea sold for 3 billion and that was pretty much a forced sale. Utd are a bigger club so I would assume they will attract a higher price. Plus the Glazier's will want a lot of year's income upfront, and the bank they borrowed from probably have T's&C's regarding early repayment and penalties for it.

Granted OT needs a refurb and the squad needs an overhaul but those aren't things that will affect the Glazier's asking price. They may affect what buyers are prepared to pay but Glazier's are selling a fairly unique asset. There aren't many big PL clubs that come up for sale. Limited supply makes it a sellers market.

As for Teamviewer, I have heard their shareholders weren't happy with the price they agreed for the sponsorship and the company has had a change of heart in terms of the direction they go with advertising. I suspect Utd being pish is a factor but a minor one.

I'm unsure if the Glazier's style of take over is illegal now. I don't remember the ins and outs of it, but it was a leveraged take over. The kind of thing beloved by asset strippers and Private Equity. Even if it is, you can't make laws retrospectively. That would just lead to decades of court cases and is the kind of thing that happens in back water 'banana republics'

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
They could presumably sell every share and not have to pay the debt back as the debt is on the club?
I dunno. Who owns all the shares? I know they have sold a few, and I think some of the investment banks have sold a few. What is their ownership % of Utd? Are their consulatncy fees contingent on their owning over 50% (to allow them to vote it through) or where they a condition of the take over?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Perhaps we need America to invade Mexico or Canada for Man Utd to become legal for a forced sale? 🤣

lejackal

Grand Master
Benzema is really pushing for the Ballon d'Or - what odds on it still ending up with Messi 🙄

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well it's not a win, but love seeing it shut up such a horrible bunch of smug fans. Even better to see it piss Tuchel off so much, the manager fight was better than the match!

Latest posts

Top Bottom