Premier League 22/23 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I'm pleased to see Forest back in the PL after a long time out, they were one of the biggest teams when I was growing up.

They were lucky though, did you see the penalty Huddersfield weren't given? Apparently the referees view was blocked by other players, so he didn't see the trip. So what exactly is VAR for then!? How is that not an example of a clear and obvious error? 🤷‍♂️

lejackal

Grand Master
Yes I'm pleased to see Forest back in the PL after a long time out, they were one of the biggest teams when I was growing up.

They were lucky though, did you see the penalty Huddersfield weren't given? Apparently the referees view was blocked by other players, so he didn't see the trip. So what exactly is VAR for then!? How is that not an example of a clear and obvious error? 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, that was definitely a penalty but equally I've got a soft spot for Forest and it's nice to see a different team get promoted.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed on the pens and well, you know my opinions on VAR.

Nice to see forest up. I always like to see a new side come up into the PL. It is boring seeing Norwich, Palace, Fulham, WBA etc yo-yoing up and down. Ok Forest were in the Prem in the mid 90's but they have been out of it for 20 yrs. It's also nice to see a club come up who haven't had parachute payments to allow they to financially dope their way back.

Forest gave Pool a great game in the FAC. I know a once off cup game is different to a league campaign but hopefully they do ok and stay up. Nice to see sides who play football staying up.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah with Leeds and Forest back in the PL, we just need City relegated and Sheffield Wednesday back up for a full-on 90s revival!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Can we add Utd to the list of teams to be relegated? Lol

Where is the logic in the Perisic (spelling) deal? He's a good player, but will want big money and is 33. Where does he fit in Spurs front line? Those three work very well together. He's far from a 'bad' signing, on paper anyway, but he seems to solve a problem that Spurs don't have.

lejackal

Grand Master
IMO it's Conte wanting good right now and balls to the future as he knows full well he'll be off in another 12 months anyway

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't know enough about him as don't watch Italian football, but we need a left winger as Regulion and Sessenyong are both a bit ****, so if he can play there then that could work out well.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
You're hardly going to play with a him on LW, Kulesevski on RE and Son and Kane up front though? That's a pure Kevin Keegan formation. It would be great to watch as a neutral but I suspect the big sides would pick off your two holding midfielders and nullify your front four.

Not quite sure how Son missed out on nomination for the PFA player of the year. Joint top scorer ignored in favour of people who scored less, Mane, Ronaldo and Kane. Ok, Mane/Pool had a more successful season in terms of prizes won and challenging for the big two trophies, but Kane was shite for half the season. I remember posting that Origi had more goals than him at one point despite playing something daft like a third or a quarter of the minutes Kane had. But then Harry Kane is Engerlund captain and can do no wrong (even when he backs into players in mid-air and cleans them out, or flies in two footed on Robertson) sigh.
I don't think Ronaldo was that great either, but he scored a lot of goals in a shite side, mainly against shite teams if my memory is correct, I'd still have Son over him but I can see why he was on the list at least.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
It's nonsense. Son was incredible this year and totally deserved at least a nomination, if not to win it. Rice wasn't even nominated for the young player award. Absolutely ridiculous.

Also, how does Patrick Viera get a manager nom, but Moyes doesn't?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I hadnt even looked at young player, I see TAA isn't included but Saka and Smith Rowe are. Hhhmmmm

I agree on Moyesy. I do think Viera did well mind. Those two, Pep, Jurgen, and probably Howe and Fark. That's your choices for manager of the season IMO.

lejackal

Grand Master
Who normally plays left back for England? For some reason Trippier is in that slot tonight 🤷‍♂️

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Southgate has his favourites and picks them no matter how crap the are playing. I would say Trippier is 5th or 6th best England left back. I actually despair at this England team, they have a real chance in the next World Cup if the FA grow some balls and sack Southgate. He has a group of players that pretty much all play for the top for including two of the best teams in the world that play high intensity football week in week out. Southgate uses these same players like a bunch of veterans, continually playing a back 6. Name me a PL club that would give him a job???

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Southgate has his favourites and picks them no matter how crap the are playing.
Low and behold, Fat Maguire goes walk about for Germany's goal. WHAT THE **** was he doing out there? And then he compounds it by very very slowly half pressing and jogging further out of position. And T-rex hands Pickford does what he does best and gets nowhere near a shot he should save 9 times out of 10.

Still, not like both have been shite all season in the PL.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Completely
Low and behold, Fat Maguire goes walk about for Germany's goal. WHAT THE **** was he doing out there? And then he compounds it by very very slowly half pressing and jogging further out of position. And T-rex hands Pickford does what he does best and gets nowhere near a shot he should save 9 times out of 10.

Still, not like both have been shite all season in the PL.
Yeah agreed, Maquire probably not in the top 5 English centre backs, can certainly real off 5, but if you think about it, it's probably more like 8 or 9. He's even looking out of depth in a back 3 stroke 6 against Hungary! He's been wandering off all season like that. Oh and he's also scared shitless of anyone with pace, brilliant centre back.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
And what did Utd pay for him?

Spuds supposedly after Rashford. WHY? Have they seen him play in the last 18 months? They have Kane, Son, Kulesevski and Perisic. Unless they are planning on going full Kevin Keegan, where the **** does he fit in that line up?

lejackal

Grand Master
And what did Utd pay for him?

Spuds supposedly after Rashford. WHY? Have they seen him play in the last 18 months? They have Kane, Son, Kulesevski and Perisic. Unless they are planning on going full Kevin Keegan, where the **** does he fit in that line up?
Prepping to lose Kane to Real maybe 😂

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've not heard that, and I wish it was/is true. He's been terrible or injured for 3 years now. He won't leave Man Utd. I can't see the board or owners wanting to sell him, he's a huge brand. I also think he's impossible to sell this summer, who would pay him £200k a week? I've heard he's talking to the club about a new contract. 🤦

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
No idea why Spurs would need Rashford either, but most of these rumours amount to nothing.

Chelsea have just released Drinkwater - that's got to go down as one of the worst signings in history!? £35m and he hasn't played for them for FOUR YEARS apparently. And people called Soldado a flop!

Latest posts

Top Bottom