Premier League 22/23 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
50m for Richarlison. **** me, Spurs are mad. Have they not seen the diving wanker play? You could have had Origi for free, he's no world beater, but he's more use than Richarlison and he is also capable of staying on his feet for more than 3 seconds at a time.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah I don't really get why Conte is going for Richarlison, I would have thought defenders are more of a priority, but hopefully he knows what he's doing. Agree about the diving but come on, you have Salah :ROFLMAO:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Salah does like to go down easily, far far too many modern players do, but Richarlison (and Gordon in particular) are much worse.

Add in Harry "I get away with GBP cos I is Engerlund captain innit" Kane and that is some front line Spurs have.

Where does Richarlison fit though? Kane, Son and Kulesevski were a bloody effective front three. Add perisic and ehhh where does a big donkey who likes to fall over, fit? 50m is far too much to pay for a back-up or squad player (unless you're City, obviously) so I assume he is going to play at least half the games. Are we gonna see a Kevin Keegan style front five?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Speaking of Salah, he's just signed a 3 year deal with Liverpool, apparently now their highest paid player. Does that mean Liverpool have broken their wage structure to accommodate him? I mean they would have been mad not to, you can't buy another Salah for any less money, but will it cause waves amongst other players at the club.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
50m is far too much to pay for a back-up or squad player (unless you're City, obviously) so I assume he is going to play at least half the games.
I guess that's the reality of the PL now, it's so competitive that having two or three world class strikers isn't enough. Look at City, they can put out two first 11s, something the bottom half of the table can only dream of. I don't think Richarlison will trump Kane or Son, but a bit of rotating wouldn't be a terrible idea (especially as Harry is always either injured or goal-shy until December)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Speaking of Salah, he's just signed a 3 year deal with Liverpool, apparently now their highest paid player. Does that mean Liverpool have broken their wage structure to accommodate him? I mean they would have been mad not to, you can't buy another Salah for any less money, but will it cause waves amongst other players at the club.

I'm not sure, but from what I have read, no. He has signed for 350kpw (how could anyone live on that?) which I think still fits in Pool's wage structure. He wanted over 400kpw, but apparently there are large bonus elements so it may end up as over 400kpw. I assume goal and assist bonuses, maybe even MOTM etc.

I'm surprised more players contracts aren't set up like that. A basic amount of X per week and then bonuses tied to how well they play. It's particularly easy for strikers where goals and assists are the main criteria they are judged by. It should work for all parties, play well and you earn a fortune, play like a donkey and you get paid like one. Plus it stops the Adebayor/Aubamayang type who play well right up until the day they sign the new contract, then they put their feet up and phone in the performance for a few yrs.

Fair point on Kane needing rested/rotated. He has a lot of games in his legs and his ankles are made of glass at the best of times.
I still think you could have done a lot better for 50m, but sure.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Ronaldo asks to leave Utd.

That's gonna leave them well short up front. Rashford has been poor for 18months, Cavanni is away, Martial is very hot and cold on a good day and ehhh Greenwood might well be busy for the next few years.

No idea who the hell they get now, or where they find the money. Rumour was their budget was roughly 150m, 70m on DeJong and 15m on that random LB. Neither of which were pressing areas of weakness in the squad. They still need a CB, a RB and at least one DCM. Add a top class striker to that list now and they will have 65m plus whatever they get for Ronaldo. Given he is 37/38 and has a yr left on his contract I would be amazed if they get more than 20m. 85m barely buys you a top class striker, never mind one of those and three other players.

All the decent strikers who were out of contract will have been snapped up, those with a year left will have been sounded out by other clubs and I'm not even sure the likes if Lewandowski is going to fancy leaving Bayern and joining this Utd no matter how much they offer him. Why would he when Barca will pay him a few hundred kpw and they might actually win something, and are in the CL.

Does anyone think Utd's Board/transfer team are capable of pulling in a top class striker in the next two months!? They were **** at transfers before, everyone now knows they need a striker so prices will be hiked even further. Assuming said player can be persuaded that EL and a 'project' are in his interests.

Of course the Glazier's could just hand Utd a few hundred million to solve the problem. But there's more chance of me winning Miss World

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'd like to see you contest miss world @weasel even if it meant Liverpool win the treble.😂 I don't blame Ronaldo for wanting away and it's no surprise he's Mr CL. Ronaldo leaving is completely on the Glaziers and no one should forget that.

Ten Ten Hag is building a team if he wants a left back (Malacia) get him, Telez isn't good enough, if he wants De Jong get him. There's no quick fix here, I'm not saying Ten Hag is definitely going to turn Utd into a Liverpool or city but he needs to be backed by the club and fans and most importantly given time. Like I said before, the biggest thing for me next season is to play attacking/exciting football. If we do that and finish 6th then that's an improvement on the last 10 years.

Maguire and Ronaldo had a bust up last season, which one would any other club sell? The glaziers would burn this club to the ground for £1 more than the club is worth.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I agree, I am not even remotely surprised he wants out.
I was surprised he joined in the first place. Did he not watch Utd? If he had he would have seen they were very poor. They won a lot of games by playing well for 10-20mins and scoring 2 or 3 goals, but for the rest of the time they were outplayed by much "smaller/weaker" clubs. Yes, they came second BUT, they were miles behind City and Pool played most of the season with no CB's and Chelsea had a moron for a manager. If Ronaldo thought all Utd needed to be title/CL contenders was him, he's an even bigger egotistical, narcissistic wanker than I thought.

No idea where he goes now. His wages alone would mean only half a dozen clubs could afford him. Not sure City will want or need him, assuming Utd would even sell to them. Barca, Pool and Bayern can't or won't pay that much (obv he would never go to Pool anyway, nor would they want him). Real don't really need him and like Juve were happy to get his wages off the books. Who is left? PSG? That's basically retirement. Plus good luck to any PSG manager who has to make a team that supports a front line of Mbappe, Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo. Good as that sounds on paper, they would be picked apart and destroyed by a decent side. Too many lazy/old forwards who don't/can't track and not enough legs/ball winners/defenders. Not like you would be able to only play 3 of those 4 either. Egos wouldn't allow it.

As for that random LB Utd signed and DeJong (who La Porte now says Barca don't need to sell). I see your logic in supporting the new manager and giving him what he wants. But every man and his dog know Utd need TWO DCM's and have done for a few years, and probably a CB. Ten Hag seems to be blowing big chunks of the budget fixing areas that aren't the most pressing. He may have a system that removes the need for a DCM and I could look daft in a year's time, but I don't think I have ever seen a side, a successful one, play without someone who can tackle or do the donkey work.
It just strikes me as repainting the Titanic and putting in some lovely windows. While ignoring the fact there is a fecking huge whole in the side of the ship and water pouring in. Club's know Utd's weaknesses and won't exactly hold back in exploiting them. I suspect Ten Hag will realise the mistake he has made in a few months. Especially if he is daft enough to give a clean slate/another chance to players who have failed under three previous managers. All they will do is throw him under the bus like they did Ralph, and Ole, and Jose, and Van Gaal.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Jesus to Arsenal seems a good signing, I had him in my fantasy team most of last season (admittedly I came last!) I guess he'd rather be the main man at Arsenal than playing 30% of games at City.

lejackal

Grand Master
I think it's an exciting signing and hopefully will be augmented by another midfielder, flexible CB and maybe another attacker

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Eriksen to United apparently agreed, although it rarely works out when a player returns I am a bit sad he won't be playing for Spurs again next season.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah not really sure why we've got him, other than he's free. Which makes sense with these pratts in charge. Bruno and Donny are already at the club. But if Ten Hag wants him. 🤷‍♂️

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah great player to have in the squad as a free agent (although no idea what his wages are)

lejackal

Grand Master
Free these days just means bumper sign on fees and wages generally speaking, look at Ramsey at Juve On circa 400k a week

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah not really sure why we've got him, other than he's free. Which makes sense with these pratts in charge. Bruno and Donny are already at the club. But if Ten Hag wants him. 🤷‍♂️

Summed up well. Last time I checked he wasn't a CB, or a RB, or a DCM, or a striker. So he solves none of Utd's problems and creates another in that he is the kinda player who likes to play in the spaces between midfield and attack……like Fernandes and VDB.

Typical Utd transfer logic that.

As for Jesus, see my previous comments. He'll be **** or bust. My money would be on him being a disappointment, especially for the money.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Apparently Ten Hag wanted him even if he wasn't free, so I hope he knows what he's doing. Looks like we have beaten Arsenal to Martinez which I won't believe until he's holding up the shirt!

Latest posts

Top Bottom