Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa Update

Joe

Grand Master
You know what I find the funniest about all of this? If the Palitoy VCJ Torres picked up was real, all his previous scams and shoddy deals put paid to him (and the figure) ever being taken seriously whilst he owned it. I think in some small way that is a bit of karma coming back to bite his Welsh ass as it sure as hell meant he didn't get top dollar for it when he sold it (at least not compared to what it might sell for now that it is graded)

It does beg the question - why didn't he ever AFA it himself and try to get the best return out of it with their backing? Then again he rips off toy collectors for a living and then runs off so he probably didn't have the balls to send it over the pond himself!

batman

Padawan
Have updated my cardback guide with the new info on the transitional wider vinyl bubble and the hole puch placement using the new sealed examples that I have found.

http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy/sw12bcardback.htm

:)

cheers Jason[/quote]

Is the wider bubble similar to the Palitoy 12back R2 bubble or is it a completely different bubble ?

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
batman said:
Have updated my cardback guide with the new info on the transitional wider vinyl bubble and the hole puch placement using the new sealed examples that I have found.

cheers Jason

Is the wider bubble similar to the Palitoy 12back R2 bubble or is it a completely different bubble ?

It's a different bubble, similar shape but the r2-d2 one is much much deeper to accomodate r2-d2.

Jason

batman

Padawan
mr_palitoy said:
batman said:

cheers Jason

It's a different bubble, similar shape but the r2-d2 one is much much deeper to accomodate r2-d2.

Jason

Thanks, i thought they used the carboard backer to fill out the gap like Kenner did.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
batman said:
mr_palitoy said:
batman said:

cheers Jason

Jason

Thanks, i thought they used the carboard backer to fill out the gap like Kenner did.

Which figure are you talking about? The Jawa transition vinyl bubble has a 2/3 cardboard insert at the back of the figure that finishes at shoulder height.

cheers Jason

batman

Padawan
Which figure are you talking about? The Jawa transition vinyl bubble has a 2/3 cardboard insert at the back of the figure that finishes at shoulder height.

cheers Jason[/quote]

There's numerous threads on Rs on the topic of Kenner 12 back jawas using r2 bubbles http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1064156/with cardboard backers ,and the 12 back c on this site http://sandcrawler.com/jawas/index.php?action=disp_category_contents&category_id=11 looks very similar to the transition vinyl bubble .

Cheers,

Dieter

Joe

Grand Master
If it is the same as the R2 bubble then perhaps it was used as a temporary measure until they manufactured the final sloped bubble to fit the Jawa? In that RS thread the Kenner Jawa also has a squashed hood the same as the Palitoy Jawa Jason found a picture of.

5509468732_dfbd7fca8c.jpg

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Joe said:
If it is the same as the R2 bubble then perhaps it was used as a temporary measure until they manufactured the final sloped bubble to fit the Jawa? In that RS thread the Kenner Jawa also has a squashed hood the same as the Palitoy Jawa Jason found a picture of.

5509468732_dfbd7fca8c.jpg

I think we are all talking about the same bubble.

It's the one Palifan has a resealed example of:-

file.jpg

And is also shown here as the second bubble down:-

http://www.12back.com/features/vcjawa/vcjawa.php3

Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Have updated the blurb a bit:-

"The vinyl cape on the Jawa was replaced with a darker brown cloth cape making the vinyl cape very rare. Initially, the bubble that was used for R2-D2 was used for the cloth cape jawa as it did not fit inside the vinyl cape bubble as it was too small. This bubble is quite deep so a folded yellow cardboard insert was placed behind the figure moving it towards the front of the bubble, the top of which can be seen at shoulder height behind the figure. The hood on the figure looks squashed as the bubble is not high enough. This temporary solution was used until a bigger bubble that could accomodate the hood was made. This new bubble had no kind insert behind the figure. With the new bubble and cloth cape figure the card did not hang correctly now, so the punch was moved to the left a bit so it would hang correctly again. The punch position is about 50/50 on carded palitoy jawas showing that it was a while before they made this change. Fakes are common and many collectors rue the day they swapped their inferior plastic caped Jawa for a cloth one in the school playground when they were kids. All subsequent cardback variations have the cloth cape jawa on them."

Jason

Palifan

Sith Lord
Great work Jason and Joe's picture of the R2 bubble is the same one I have. I'm doubting we'll see that same bubble type (R2 style) with the plastic behind the Jawa on a Palitoy 12 back but you never know. :)

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Wow, I've just seen this thread and am really pleased the Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa has been proved to be real!

Some people have been asking about childhood memories of Palitoy Vinyl Jawas and about childhood cardbacks.

I remember having a vinyl cape jawa as a kid, but when I dug my childhood collection out (Summer 2012), all I found were 2 jawas in their cloth capes. I also found some original cardbacks from my childhood, which are more interesting.

My original SW cardbacks show that figures were available on Palitoy & Kenner cards. The Luke came from Goldies in Coventry and still has the price sticker on it - Kenner cardback bought in the UK. Another of the Kenner card backs i have is for the Jawa (I have no way of saying if this was the cardback for a vinyl jawa).

As a child I remember some of the figures were hard to get hold of, i suspect the ones that were harder to come by came straight over on Kenner cards. By Empire all of my cardbacks shows Palitoy - except Yoda which is on a Kenner card back. I hope this info proves useful to someone!
IMAG0230.jpg

So people living in the UK who remember having Vinyl Jawas may simply have had Kenner Vinyl Jawas, hence why carded Palitoy Vinyl Jawas are probably the rarest thing in the world!

IMAG0231.jpg

Apologies for this 3rd image it's the only close up i have of my SW Kenner Jawa card - i did it as a piss take after opening up my childhood collection and realising neither Jawa had their vinyl capes

IMAG0270.jpg

Anyway really pleased the Palitoy Vinyl Jawa is real & congratulations to the owner. I just need to find that bloody missing cape from mine - even if it was probably only a kenner version!

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
That last jawa pic is quality!

The mix of Kenner/Palitoy cards in the shops over here is well known. Kenner cards can even be seen in the shop promo displays featured in the palitoy catalogue.

Jason

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thanks for posting the pictures of your card backs Paul, I remember reading about the Kenner Jawa card back (very disappointing), and couldn't remember who mentioned it so it's good to see it. It does make sense that a kenner 12 back Jawa could have made it over here (remember Paul doesn't know for sure that the VC was in that one) due to the delay in that figure arriving in the UK. I've also seen another Yoda Kenner card back bought over here when they were released but as we know a Palitoy version exists it shows us that the same goes for the VC Jawa (it must as one's been graded!).

I'd still love to know if anyone else out there reading this had a VC Jawa as a child growing up in the 70's in the UK. Still looking to see what kind of numbers we're talking about.

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Palifan

I've got a feeling that my Jawa cardback is a 20 back and i'm not sure if vinyl Jawas came on these cards, i'll check the card when I'm next at home. I remember having a vinyl jawa as a child, but now I'm questioning my own memories.

Palifan said:
Thanks for posting the pictures of your card backs Paul, I remember reading about the Kenner Jawa card back (very disappointing), and couldn't remember who mentioned it so it's good to see it. It does make sense that a kenner 12 back Jawa could have made it over here (remember Paul doesn't know for sure that the VC was in that one) due to the delay in that figure arriving in the UK. I've also seen another Yoda Kenner card back bought over here when they were released but as we know a Palitoy version exists it shows us that the same goes for the VC Jawa (it must as one's been graded!).

I'd still love to know if anyone else out there reading this had a VC Jawa as a child growing up in the 70's in the UK. Still looking to see what kind of numbers we're talking about.

sith-smith

Grand Master
jedisearcher said:
Hope the episode 7 plot has as much intrigue and as many twists and turns as the VCJ storyline :D

I have a feeling the debate will sill be ongoing by the time ep.7 is in the cinemas!

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that a Palitoy 20 back VCJ doesn't exist so if that's the card you have Paul it would mean you had a cloth cape one, maybe you swapped it with a friend at some point for the VC?

Actually, looking at Mr Palitoy's cardback guide it doesn't look like a 20 back Palitoy Jawa card exists so if you do have a 20 back please upload a picture of it as it would be great to see! :)

As for the comment about this thread going on until ep 7 - I really hope it does Gary as I'm having way to much fun reading it :lol:

I think maybe we should put a script together based on it and pass it onto JJ for some idea's of how to stage real drama!

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Palifan

I'm talking about the Kenner Jawa card back that i've already posted a picture of. That is the one that may be a 20 back.

Palifan said:
I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that a Palitoy 20 back VCJ doesn't exist so if that's the card you have Paul it would mean you had a cloth cape one, maybe you swapped it with a friend at some point for the VC?

Actually, looking at Mr Palitoy's cardback guide it doesn't look like a 20 back Palitoy Jawa card exists so if you do have a 20 back please upload a picture of it as it would be great to see! :)

As for the comment about this thread going on until ep 7 - I really hope it does Gary as I'm having way to much fun reading it :lol:

I think maybe we should put a script together based on it and pass it onto JJ for some idea's of how to stage real drama!

Palifan

Sith Lord
oops! :oops: My mistake (got a bit over excited there), I know there's an australian ESB VCJ but I'm not sure about a 20 back Kenner one. I think the VCJ Kenner only came on a 12 A back in the US so it's probably from one of your cloth cape ones. Has anyone out there ever heard of one of these showing up?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom