Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa Update

Palitoyman

Padawan
Hi all, just thought that I would keep you all posted on what the current state of play was with the Jawa.

I have been speaking with AFA regarding a COA, someone got back to me last night saying that the request is with 'management' and that they are awaiting a decision, surely a COA isn't that hard to obtain and in this case like many other collectors consider it essential, in my opinion they should realise how rare this figure is on a Palitoy card and simply issue the certificate.

I have been given an email address for Tom Derby and sent him a similar message last Wednesday, as yet I have received no reply, hopefully I will get a response in the next week or so.

I would like to think that the matter will be resolved next week as AFA do have a photo of the figure (which I requested) and does have an official serial number.

Cheers Rich

itfciain

Grand Master
Excuse my ignorance here but I would have presumed that if AFA have graded the figure then they should have no issue with providing a COA - otherwise they should never have graded it in the first place ?

Palitoyman

Padawan
Yes, thats excactly what I thought, once a figure has been graded by them a COA should be no problem at all as they have authenticated it.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
My thoughts exactly! AFA have put their name on it, so that in itself should be authentication and therefore a COA should be a formality :!:

Joe

Grand Master
sith-smith said:
I'd have thought the same.

But Surely being afa'd IS a COA?

It is for a run of the mill ROTJ Klaatu but on this figure the grade and case is simply not the be all and end all.

Surely everyone would like to know that Tom looked it over himself rather than some temp employee at AFA who had no idea about the importance of this figure?

Everyone is talking about the experts in the UK looking this figure over - Jim S, yourself Gary, Lee and the other respected and informed collectors but AFA use a team of non collecting drones for want of a better term. It can't have gone through the normal grading system because of it's importance and it's rarity.

Joe

Grand Master
palitoyjunky said:
My thoughts exactly! AFA have put their name on it, so that in itself should be authentication and therefore a COA should be a formality :!:

So you would be happy knowing that graders #12 and #20 looked it over and gave it the stamp of approval when they have no knowledge of this piece whatsoever? There is a reason that Tom/CIB handle the COA's on rare items and that's because they need a lot more research and need to be looked at with much more scrutiny.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
The coa you want would need to come from tom derby and if he hasn't personally looked over the piece I doubt you will get a coa from him without resubmitting. You could get afa to issue one but as has been said, afa don't really have the clout to verify this piece through normal circumstances. I have little doubt that it is real but I can see people still doubting until it has been looked over by tom or someone with similar expertise.

jeffafett

Youngling
I would say the only way you would get a COA from Tom is if you sent the item back to AFA and then Tom was to look it over, otherwise Tom is the only one who does COA's for AFA so I feel there is no way you will be able to get one unless you send the item back.

When you first sent this item in why did you not request a COA? It does not come with every rare item that goes into AFA.

MY 2 cents
Jeff

Palitoyman

Padawan
Well, I just thought that being the first ever Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa to be graded they would have no hesitation, anyone that knows a bit on Palitoy should realise the significance of this!!!!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Joe said:
palitoyjunky said:

So you would be happy knowing that graders #12 and #20 looked it over and gave it the stamp of approval when they have no knowledge of this piece whatsoever? There is a reason that Tom/CIB handle the COA's on rare items and that's because they need a lot more research and need to be looked at with much more scrutiny.

Tom Derby owns AFA correct??

Joe

Grand Master
palitoyjunky said:
Joe said:
palitoyjunky said:

Tom Derby owns AFA correct??

HAHA!

Depends on who you ask mate ;)

Drakon

Jedi Knight
Palitoyman said:
Well, I just thought that being the first ever Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa to be graded they would have no hesitation, anyone that knows a bit on Palitoy should realise the significance of this!!!!

But....there is a huge story brewing about this piece and from what I have read the authentication is in question.

sith-smith

Grand Master
It was never going to be easy, even with an AFA authentication.

People have argued over the existence of this for as long as I can remember.

So it's going to take a lot to convince people.

If a Kenner VC jawa turned up, people would ask for authentication. That's to ensure the figure is a legitimate MOC and not some reseal. AFA may be enough for most. Some may accept their own judgement at recognising a sealed figure. Whether sealed or not it won't rewrite a part of Kenner history or make collectors childhood recollections valid

However the Palitoy VC jawa is a piece people didn't believe existed, so we're not just talking a rare figure here. We're sort of in the realms of almost accepted impossibility. So a sealed one does rewrite a part of Palitoy History. A big part for some, not so much for others. But it also has the potential to offer credence to all those collectors who said they had one when a kid.

Likewise all those people that doubted...and in some cases mocked...those claims are required to accept they are wrong. Not easy for some people.

Consequently, you have opened a can of worms!! Hell not just opened, you've completely torn the lid off

Nice one mate. I'm rooting for you all the way! :D

Joe

Grand Master
sith-smith said:
It was never going to be easy, even with an AFA authentication.

People have argued over the existence of this for as long as I can remember.

So it's going to take a lot to convince people.

Agreed.

sith-smith said:
If a Kenner VC jawa turned up, people would ask for authentication. That's to ensure the figure is a legitimate MOC and not some reseal. AFA may be enough for most. Some may accept their own judgement at recognising a sealed figure. Whether sealed or not it won't rewrite a part of Kenner history or make collectors childhood recollections valid

Agreed.

sith-smith said:
However the Palitoy VC jawa is a piece people didn't believe existed, so we're not just talking a rare figure here. We're sort of in the realms of almost accepted impossibility. So a sealed one does rewrite a part of Palitoy History. A big part for some, not so much for others. But it also has the potential to offer credence to all those collectors who said they had one when a kid.

Agreed X 100

sith-smith said:
Likewise all those people that doubted...and in some cases mocked...those claims are required to accept they are wrong. Not easy for some people.

Oh I don't know..Lee is welcoming any carded Jawa's people want to send him to take a bite out of :mrgreen:

sith-smith said:
Consequently, you have opened a can of worms!! Hell not just opened, you've completely torn the lid off

Yes but a fun can of worms - this is all about learning, collectors will always seek the answers because sometimes things happen that that do indeed turn the hobby on it's head. We all like to know the information behind the discoveries and when that information is lacking we keep going till we find it.

In this case the only people that can really shed some light on the figure now that it is graded is AFA.

Why they didn't supply a COA/grading report or offer Richard one (I take it he didn't request any and that is why he hasn't got one?) is beyond me considering what this piece does (or has the potential to do) for the hobby.

I do respect your opinion Gary and of course your expertise and I don't doubt you when you say saw this and with all your experience you felt it looked good and original.

I personally just want to know how AFA went about validating/authenticating and confirming this is the real deal when they are a million miles away from guys like yourself.

Does anyone know if any of the UK guys were contacted in regard to this figure? What did AFA compare this to?

Big thanks to Richard for pursuing the grading report and the COA, he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone especially if this is going to stay with him but it says a lot about his respect for the hobby and other collectors if he is chasing it up so all the AFA information is out there on the table for all to see.

Again, for the 500th time - I really am looking forward to the information from AFA 8)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Gary,i couldnt agree more with what you said.Well done.

Seerdrakon-why do you say the authentication is in question?unless ive missed something.

With regards to a COA,i am absolutely gobsmacked one wasnt issued.This is one of the rarest finds in SW vintage history,and for it to be treated like a normal bog standard moc doesnt sit right with me.I used to have a lot of respect for Tom D a few years back,but not any longer.Dont forget that this was the guy who ok,d the Yak mailers and that itself opened a huge can of worms.This turn of events is very worrying IMO,but im hoping it all ends well.With regards to Tom owning,working for AFA that question has been asked before and never answered...read into that what you will.

Is that figure Archival cases aswell? Not being rude to the customer here,but surely this is one of the larger case with COA items? maybe thats just my prefernce though.

One other thing,and this isnt meant harshly.When people say they remember seeing Palitoy VCJ back in the day,could this be a sign of too much thought.Ive often heard and read about people convincing themselves of something they thought they had seen/heard/happened in the past and this could be a trick of the human brain,which leads them into thinking something they beleive to be true,but it probably isnt.I only know that i got a Palitoy 12 back trooper as my first figure,as my mother saw me buy another for my collection,and recognised the red and blue logo.I wouldnt have rememberd a logo whilst ripping a card open at the young age i was then,and it does sound funny that so many claim they remember the exact figures on the exact back?? Is this myth or reality?? Maybe people are convincing themselves based on the heart,and not reality.

I seriously think that this figure needs to be put under the microscope again.

Mrleemur

Jedi Knight
Completely agree with Palitoy78...

I have no recolection of any of the detail of the packaging of the figures, or other things i had (other than finding old xmas photos)

That said, i frequently remeber pointless detail about all kinds of other stuff from long ago, and frequently get asked "how the hell do you remember that ****", so i'm not saying nobody does, so that just makes my whole post pointless.

Sorry for wasting your time!!

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Palitoy78 said:
One other thing,and this isnt meant harshly.When people say they remember seeing Palitoy VCJ back in the day,could this be a sign of too much thought.Ive often heard and read about people convincing themselves of something they thought they had seen/heard/happened in the past and this could be a trick of the human brain,which leads them into thinking something they beleive to be true,but it probably isnt.I only know that i got a Palitoy 12 back trooper as my first figure,as my mother saw me buy another for my collection,and recognised the red and blue logo.I wouldnt have rememberd a logo whilst ripping a card open at the young age i was then,and it does sound funny that so many claim they remember the exact figures on the exact back?? Is this myth or reality?? Maybe people are convincing themselves based on the heart,and not reality.

I seriously think that this figure needs to be put under the microscope again.

Can't see what the problem is here. Some people have better memories than others. Some can remember seeing Palioty VCJ back in the day and some can't. And we have physical proof. One graded, one ungraded and four opened examples.

:)

Jason

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom