Premier League 23/24 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Chelsea really are a weird club. Whoever they appoint he'll do well to be there in 18months. Kinda like Slot I suspect.

Literally any other player who gets a penalty tactically is called "clever." Palmer had a few this season, genius according to the commentators. However Harry Kane doing it is "dirty" 🤷‍♂️
Not by me lol. Harry Kane is a dirty bastard in my mind cos of the numerous fouls he put in during Liverpool Spurs games and he got away almost scott freee. The GBH on Roberston a fee years ago being a prime example.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I can't stand the cheating and commentators and pundit ex-pro's saying it's 'clever' or 'cute'... should be ashamed of themselves. Kane, Salah, Vardy, Gordon et al have all had these glowing accolades regularly over the years. Man City and Arsenal sharing out the fouls in the opposition half to stop breaks etc. Brentford and Newcastle constantly time-wasting. Players surrounding the ref. The list goes on. A year or two ago, we had a pen against Liverpool and VVD scuffed up the penalty spot. They briefly brought it up after the game and Eni Aluko said something along the lines of 'I've got no problem with this, it's gamesmanship and great to see it in the game!' Unbelievable.

The powers that be just need to be altogether stronger and more consistent. Stop buying the cheating all the time- cardbthem instantly and it will stop quickly. Surely VAR could help here 🤣

Last edited:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I'm all for retrospective action for dives, or scuffing up penalty spots, that the ref misses in real time and obv VAR can't intervene unless it's a pen/red card or serious foul.
The added advantage for that is Utd fans would never see Anthony play the club again as he would be banned for life. And that's just from the **** he did at Ajax,

Ooohh and @Cazza Eni Aluko? Really? In a field of brain dead, over paid morons who spout barely coherent monosyllabic sentences about football..............in response to a player missing an open net "ahhh he'll be disappointed there" or if we are very lucky "he has to score"....................she really is head and shoulders the worst of a very VERY bad bunch.

And her gender and race have **** all to do with it. I have no issue with anyone's skin colour, nor do I care about women commentating on men's football, albeit most of them (like most male commentators) are ****, she is just robbing a living. And likes to play the race and gender card when anyone points out that she is taking shite. I thoroughly nasty piece of work

This sums her up

lejackal

Grand Master
IMG_3350.jpeg

Stuff like this (in the Guardian) gets on my tits. Football clubs are not exactly "identifying" well known managers, they (or the press) are just regurgitating names. Go and identify talent we might not have heard of? Just a thought

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm so pissed off, ok new people running the club may not want ETH and may have always wanted him sacked, he's given them plenty of reasons to sack him, although I strongly believe they should give him another year at least and actually follow through on a long term plan. I can still at least slightly understand they want to bring in their own guy.

But to let it get leaked to the press 24 hours before a FA Cup final is a disgrace and complete shambles. The 5% chance we had of winnng has now gone down to 0.5% IMO.

Last edited:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Could be worse, you could sack your manager the week of the cup final. At least it's just paper talk.

You're right though, the club should have stamped down on it until after the cup final.

On the note of shambolically run clubs, I see Barca have sacked Xavi. A full month after persuading him to stay. There's logic in there somewhere……I think.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Fabrizio Romano is saying he's gone, when he says something about Man Utd it happens, it's the same as Ronnie O'Sullivan calling a 147 on the third red.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yep, for all the bad luck Spurs have had, sacking Mourhino before the League Cup final is probably the finest act of self-destruction I've ever seen in football. And how do the media always know before anyone else? This nonsense should be banned, under mental health grounds if nothing else.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It does sound like ETH is a goner, and I can see why after that season. And yes, I can see the arguments for giving him another year too. But I wonder what would happen if he pulls a tactical masterclass out of his ass and Utd win 3-0 and dismantle City? I know it's unlikely, but….

lejackal

Grand Master
Kompany to Bayern and Rooney to Plymouth.

Both strange for very different reasons, maybe Rooney wants to work his way up? As for Bayern choosing Kompany?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yup, I wasnt far off with my totally serious score predicition. If Onana hadn't let that stupidly soft one in….

Not sure Utd were brilliant, offensively, but very disciplined defensively. Both sides only created one decent chance. Utd took theirs, and the gift wrapped goal City game them. City missed their chance and then took the gift Onana gave them.
Very subdued City performance, not that Utd care!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
As we discussed before, I can see the arguments for sacking him, and for keeping him. I guess it depends on who they replace him with and, the biggest 'if', IF they actually clear out the deadwood for the squad. Some leaves this summer anyway, hello Anthony Martial, but there is a lot more to clear out. If history is anything to go by everyone will mow be given 'another chance' and will look half interested for 6 months before reverting to type and ****ing the as yet unappointed manager under the bus.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
He's won 40% of the trophies Utd have won since Ferguson retired in less than 20% of the time. Only manager to win a major trophy in the last three seasons other than Klopp and Pep. There is absolutely no sense in sacking him, Utd will never get back to competing for the top trophies if you don't allow the manager to build a legacy. A new manager comes in and he will give a lot of the dead wood 'a fresh start'. I had to laugh Martial was fit and got injured in the last training session before the cup final.

Last edited:

lejackal

Grand Master
Arteta went 8th, 8th, 5th, 2nd and 2nd. Arsenal could easily have moved on after two seasons, but they trusted his plan, backed him to shift the duds and recruit his player to play his way. If, and it's a big if, Man Utd do something similar then they'll challenge. Man Utd and smart anything don't really go hand in hand right now though.

Top Bottom