Premier League 23/24 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I heard they were two very soft yellows. But... Arsenal win with a penalty with 10 men, the good luck keeps rolling in!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Was Ayew through when he was fouled? That would make all the difference. Aguerd's first yellow against Chelsea looked similar- he barely touched the guy.

lejackal

Grand Master
Was Ayew through when he was fouled? That would make all the difference. Aguerd's first yellow against Chelsea looked similar- he barely touched the guy.
I'm not sure this constitutes through - he was still ten meters inside his own half where the "contact" happened.
IMG_8690.png

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm, not through, but he would've had a lot of space. Does seem harsh, but I can see why it was given. The massive problem is the consistency.

I'm all for sorting out time wasting- watching the Brentford throws last year was absolutely infuriating and the Sky 6 teams are masters at skanky gamemanship, but it must be consistent.

The dissent as well, is a good move. Certain teams seem to get away with surrounding the ref and the coaches behave appallingly on the touchline (Arteta, I'm looking at you!). Got to be consistent though!

lejackal

Grand Master
Tomi was unlucky on the time wasting front. Partey had the ball first, then Havertz for 15 seconds and Tomi took the throw in a fairly reasonable 8 seconds. His mates have cost him

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, it's more like a yellow for the team. Hopefully it will make them think about it and sharing out fouls and time wasting as a team will become a thing of the past.

lejackal

Grand Master
Yeah, it's more like a yellow for the team. Hopefully it will make them think about it and sharing out fouls and time wasting as a team will become a thing of the past.
Yep. Not like we're the worst for it though so it would be nice to see them doing the same to a few other teams, and maybe dishing out a few yellows/reds when Newcastle come to town again (either for time wasting or for kicking the **** out of our players)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm, not through, but he would've had a lot of space. Does seem harsh, but I can see why it was given. The massive problem is the consistency.

I'm all for sorting out time wasting- watching the Brentford throws last year was absolutely infuriating and the Sky 6 teams are masters at skanky gamemanship, but it must be consistent.

The dissent as well, is a good move. Certain teams seem to get away with surrounding the ref and the coaches behave appallingly on the touchline (Arteta, I'm looking at you!). Got to be consistent though!
Agreed with all of that.

Tomi was unlucky on the time wasting front. Partey had the ball first, then Havertz for 15 seconds and Tomi took the throw in a fairly reasonable 8 seconds. His mates have cost him
Agreed with that too.

And see my initial comments when the rumours broke that they were going to punish time wasting, Newcastle and Everton (along with Brentford) are APPALLING for it.

That was why I loved Pool's 98th minute winner against them last year. They had time wasted all game and took the ****ing piss royally in stoppage time. Slap it right up them

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
TalkSport were on about this earlier and said it was a 'team yellow'. Hopefully the players will take note!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
They have a broadly similar thing in hockey. If the team is making a lot of niggly fouls or pissing the umpire off he can call over the captain and warn him/tell him to get them to wise the **** up. If nothing changes the captain gets a yellow card. And a red if it continues after that.

lejackal

Grand Master
Makes you laugh though, there's a 6 second rule for keepers handling the ball but no time limit on throw ins.
Courtesy of Arseblog:
IMG_8728.jpeg

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I knew the 6 second rule for a keeper. It's one of those rules that EVERY keeper breaks in EVERY game. Whether they don't know about the rule I'm not sure. Refs never blow up for it.

You would need an announcement pre season so keepers were forewarned. It would be a bit harsh to suddenly blow for it in a game half way through a season.

But who knows, next time one of those teams who always seem to get dodgy decisions when they need them, like City or Arsenal (😉🎣) need a goal……..

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Top of the league! For half an hour anyway so I'll enjoy it while it lasts :)

Really promising start from Spurs, three decent performances. The only problem today was the amount of squandered chances, mainly by Richarlison 🤦‍♂️ there's a good player in there somewhere, but he's far too quick to sulk, glad he was subbed today.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
You're not top anymore... someone else is! :cool: Who needs Rice?!

Spurs looking good without Kane, Hammers looking good without Rice. Who would've thought?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes if nobody was expecting Spurs to be top today, what were the odds of West Ham!? I was just thinking that myself, Rice not living up to his transfer fee yet, on the other hand Maddison is looking like a bargain :giggle: Saying that we would have scored 7 or 8 today with Kane in Richarlison's place. I don't think Kane going is responsible for the improvements, it's the manager, tactics and team selections.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Agree- in the current crazy climate, Maddison is starting to look like superb business. Ange is looking like a good manager, too.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Richarlison really is pish. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs buy a replacement in Jan or next summer.

Top Bottom