Premier League 23/24 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
FAC draw just made. Liverpool get their sixth PL side in seven years* with a cushy trip to Arsenal. While City get a very unusual home draw against the mighty Huddersfield.

It got boring three years ago. Can some PLEASE change the record here.

* Everton, Wolves, Everton, Villa, Wolves, now Arsenal.

Spuds Burnley, Wigan Utd, WH Bristol City, Sunderland Newcastle, Chelsea Preston. Five cushy draws there.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Bayern and Chelsea before Anfield. The wolly with the brolly will be in charge by then and for the record the players, board and owners should be sacked before the coach IMO. Sacking Ten Hag is like changing the tires on a car that won't start.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Even with two thirds of our starting 11 out, it's very Spurs to lose to Wolves and Villa and then draw with City. Nearly won dare I say, if not for Bissouma's moment of madness trying to take on 4 city players outside his penalty area 🤦‍♂️

Great game though, I think the point was fully deserved. And after a sorry run of both luck and results, being six points off top and 2 from fourth doesn't feel quite so bad. If we can just hang on in the mix til January when a few key players start getting fit again, I think we'll be alright for a CL spot.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Spuds Burnley, Wigan Utd, WH Bristol City, Sunderland Newcastle, Chelsea Preston. Five cushy draws there.
Not too bad, but the only other team drawing a PL side. I'll put the violins away when we get a Championship side in the final 😆

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Saw bits of Spuds City, looked a great game. Fair ****s to Ange, and Spuds, for still going for it even though they had so many out. Nice bit if refereeing at the end, see the foul, play advantage and once you realise City are in one on one, blow for the free and bring it back. Slap that right up City. Too many times referees and VAR find ways to give them a helping hand. They are long over due a few things going against them.

And yeah, dafuq was bissouma doing?

ps, this could be a long few weeks if Liverpool insist on defending like that while Alison is injured. It was woeful. Some glorious goals by Pool, but the defending for Fulham's was shite.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Game of two halves! We were awful first half- completely outplayed, although for all their possession, Spurs didn't create many chances. Thought we were awesome second half, though. Bowen is some player.

edd_jedi

Staff member
While West Ham vastly improved in the second half (which wasn't difficult as they barely touched the ball in the first) both goals were INCREDIBLY lucky, two flukey bounces straight to a player in front of an open goal. And we should have had at least one penalty, if not two. Funny how every time the ball hits a Spurs players arm accidentally it's a penalty, but not when it happens to us. So while I'm pissed off about the result (again) I don't think we deserved to lose, and it was an overall positive performance, for most of the game anyway.

edd_jedi

Staff member
I'm getting serious Deja vu of the Poch era though, last night was a classic example - huge possession, great looking football, but the two (and only two) times they get near our goal, somehow it ends up in the net through no quality of their own, either a mistake on our part or a huge bit of luck. It's not any more enjoying to watch than Jose or Conte ball

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yep, goals were pretty lucky, but they were from errors and in part down to WH putting the defenders under pressure. That sort of thing usually goes against is, so nice to get a break. We'll have to agree to disagree about the pens- no way in the world for me. Can only remember the Zouma one, which was never, ever going to be given- I was surprised there was such a lengthy check, as it was very obviously not a pen, even in real time.

Thought Paqueta stank the place out all night- disinterested, giving the ball away, falling over and missed probably the best chance of the night at the end of the first half. That header...

I was very impressed (and jealous!) with Spurs in the first half. Second half, we made a few tweaks and went for it more and it made a massive difference. I know Ange says he won't change, but he will need to be able to adapt better to the different styles of opposition. I like him and think he could do really well.

edd_jedi

Staff member
For both penalties the ball was kicked from miles away, the arm moved towards it, and it was on the upper arm (not shoulder.) I don't like to see that given either, but why do we always get punished for them (I won't post the Dier / Newcastle image for the 20th time) but nobody else does? It's the lack of consistency as usual.

Yeah we looked like 2008 Real Madrid in the first half, don't know how it finished 1-0. If Zouma's near own goal had bounced off the post straight to Son's feet like the West Ham goals did, different story. And how often do you hit the post from 6 yards out and it goes straight back to you for a second attempt?! I can understand the joy of the "win" but it was not a fair result.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I would feel (and do regularly!) feel aggrieved if I was a Spurs fan after that result, but I think we forced the errors and got a grip of the game tactically in the second half. Bowen and JWP pressing, anticipating and gambling really paid off, as Shearer said in the commentary. Apart from Richarlison's header, I can't remember too many other clear chances for Spurs. Paqueta's was the best chance of the lot. Re: penalties, the arms were close to the body and both times (have watched the Coufal one again) it hit the badge on the sleeve and in Coufal's case, his arm was half behind his back. The Dier one was a very poor decision from memory.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Yes that was a lucky result for sure... fair to say we paid for it 10 times over in the Chelsea game and still paying for it now :LOL:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Utd going from strength to strength. ETH has to be in danger of losing his job soon. Bayern in midweek and they will be keen to bounce back from the hiding they got yesterday, followed by a trip to Anfield on Sunday. Utd have barely played well this season, albeit they have won a few games despite being dung, and I don't blame ETH entirely (but picking Martial is utterly bizarre, he has been shite for 8yrs, he won't suddenly get good) the whole club is a shambles. But it is easier to sack a manager than sell 10+ players and the Board have let ETH and various predecessors down by not selling the shite that needed sold and sacking him is easier than admitting they were wrong not to sell them.

Arsenal a tad unlucky not to get anything from Villa, though the Haevrtz goal was fairly disallowed it hit his hand (about three times). Not sure I would have given the Penalty for Jesus getting his leg kicked either. Yes, there is contact but, as I keep saying, it's a contact sport. Contact does not equal a foul. I don't think here was enough contact there to warrant a penalty, or to warrant the way he went down. I think it was less of a penalty than the one Palace got against Pool. That one was a BIT soft, but Quansha (spelling) does boot what would be his standing leg and he doesnt get the ball. Daft "tackle" by the young CB. The arsenal one, Jesus still has his other foot planted and goes down like a fairy. We've seen them given but it wasn't a penalty for me.
Arsenal still missed enough decent chances to get a point, or more.

Sounds like Pool got a bit lucky too, ropey as hell and did just enough.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Bloody Spurs got lucky there, that game was totally in the balance until ehhh kick off. I only half watched it, but from what I saw it was shooting practice. No idea if it was Spurs being brilliant, Newcastle being dung (their away record is shocking), or just one of those games. But fair ****s to Spurs.

Oohhh and Romero is very lucky boy, I would have given him a red all day long for that tackle, and he is just back from a 3 game ban. Idiot

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just seen the disallowed Haevertz goal again, it definitely does strike Cash's hand first. I missed that on the night. It looks like it hits his hand, unintentionally and via Haevertz' header, it then hits Haevertz hand, then Cash's, then Haevertz's twice. I still think not giving it was right, but the fact that Cash's initial handball is allowed under the rules (I haven't seen enough angles to say if his hand was in a "natural" position and the deflection is from 2 feet) and yet had Haevertz done the identical thing it would have been disallowed….is ****ing stupid. That whole rule needs to be sorted out. Especially as had Haeverts handled it but then passed it, it's fine. Bullshit.

Anyway, no other football of note at all today and nothing that anyone will want to talk about either. No other games played 🤔 😉

lejackal

Grand Master
The Jesus penalty is one that you see given, as soft as it would have been. Again it comes down to consistency- and all PGMOL are consistent at is being wrong and inconsistent

Latest posts

Top Bottom