Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
I didn't see the game today but yes from what I've heard Wolves were much better and deserved the win. That's not really my point, it's that how many teams can compete without half of their first choice players? Surely at some point it becomes an unfair disadvantage.

I'm obviously happy that Spurs are doing better than everyone including me expected, but I'm mightily pissed off that just as things start to go our way for once, bang seven injuries / suspensions. Two self inflicted I concede, but that's beyond unlucky.
That's what squads are for, if your club hasn't built a competitive squad it's on them.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I didn't see the game today but yes from what I've heard Wolves were much better and deserved the win. That's not really my point, it's that how many teams can compete without half of their first choice players? Surely at some point it becomes an unfair disadvantage.

I'm obviously happy that Spurs are doing better than everyone including me expected, but I'm mightily pissed off that just as things start to go our way for once, bang seven injuries / suspensions. Two self inflicted I concede, but that's beyond unlucky.
Aye, tiz a fair point. Pool had that issue the season after they won the title. It was getting to the stage where I celebrated a game or a week without a new injury, the result was irrelevant it was just a case of "don't get injured, don't get injured, don't get injured."
It reaches a point where it becomes self perpetuating, there are so many injured, or suspended, that the team is picked purely on 'who is fit'. The fact someone may have played 8 games on the spin and be clean shattered/in the red zone, is irrelevant cos there is no one else. Then sure enough they break too, and the work load is increased on everyone else, or someone is rushed back too soon and their injury recurs.

The only solution is a blank cheque book like City's were u can sign 97 players worth 50m each. That way rotation is dead easy. Need to rest a player, no probs how about replacing him with this sub who cost 50m? Or this other one who cost 50m? Or this guy who can play there too, he cost 70m!?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Spurs and Gunners rivalry is funny! I new Spurs would struggle without Maddison, I watched them against Palace, he was the definition of a number 10 running the game.

You all need to watch out Man Utd are on the march! I'm joking.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
You all need to watch out Man Utd are on the march! I'm joking.

Before today's games they were the in form team in the PL.
I think Pool may now be level with them. Impressive for a club 'in crisis' whose manager is apparently a dead man walking.

Yep. Did I once suggest it wasn't fair?

Every day! I remember you crying on here for weeks about it! Honest 😉

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Great game between Chelsea and City today. I still don't get what Poch sees in Jackson but fairs ****s to Chelsea, they are starting to look like a team.

Now if they could just **** off back to being an utter shambles, that would be nice!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'd like to see Hojland in that Chelsea team, well I wouldn't, but you know what I mean. Looks like we may have a threesome in the title race. Haven't had that for a while, that's what she said.

Unbelievable know one has been sacked yet. Who's going to be the first? Or could we actually have a season where know one is sacked. The 3 clubs that came up are probably going down. One may survive if Everton actually get deducted points.

Yes @weasel ETH has got 30 wins from his first 50 PL games, with everything he's had to deal with off the pitch I stand by my opinion he's doing ok, not good or well but he's surviving and getting results. I've noticed two PL clean sheets back to back albeit against Fulham and Luton, the defence is the first thing a good coach rectifies. We will see, he's got a trip to Anfield on the horizon. 🫣

edd_jedi

Staff member
Speaking of Chelsea, I now have a new least favourite player - Cole Palmer. What a horrible, arrogant, disrespectful boy. He reminds me of Mason Mount before he moved to United and disappeared. Harry Kane is the kind of role model kids need, not these wannabe gangsters

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, those are pretty impressive stats for ETH. I guess flattered somewhat by a EL campaign last yr and a Carling cup run (what was Utd's run to the final like? Obviously not the procession of cushy home draws City get every year, but from memory they got a good few nice draws).

Utd's big issue is, if they do sack him (and he has at least a few games left before that happens) then who the feck takes over and does a better job? Fat Sam would be my choice, but then some would say I am biased.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Would be bonkers to sack him, unless Klopp or Pep got a bang on the head and suddenly decided to manage Man Utd.

edd_jedi

Staff member
I bet most Chelsea fans wanted Poch sacked ten days ago, it's amazing what a difference a couple of results can make. It seems pointless giving any manager less than 2-3 seasons, but we see it so often

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree, the problem is with football managers when they lose the dressing room. Player power always seems to pro vale these days. There's players in the Man Utd squad that have got 2 or 3 managers sacked.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed. But, it's easier and cheaper to sack one manager than sell 2-15 players. Especially as the second you transfer list the feckers their value halves.

Some managerial appointments do just look wrong from the off. Moyesy at Utd would be an obvious one. Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney or Steven Gerrard at ehhh pretty much any club.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Yes, I really don't understand why you can sack a manager but not a player, it might motivate some of the parasites if they knew it was a possibility

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
All that would end up happening is they walk into another club on a broadly comparable salary, sadly.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Everton hit with a 10pt deduction.
From my limited understanding of it, they were miles over the allowed limit for losses so they cant have any complaints about being punished. They can complain about the severity of the punishment but not the fact they were punished.
Looks like the three sides who went down last year along with Burnley and SU have announced they are suing Everton for 300m too.

They get a 10pt deduction for ONE breach. City have 115 charges against them. If they are found guilty on all of them there is no way City can continue as a professional club. They'll be knocked so far down the pyramid that they'll never come back. Not in our life times anyway. Obviously Pep quits too cos he has been promised they are innocent….like they would tell him they have cheated….and he trusts them. The big names will all want out too.
But does anyone think the FA/PL will have the balls to find City guilty?
At best they get a token three or four guilty verdicts, on the minor charges, and get a huge slap on the wrist fine of 50m.
If they are found guilty how many clubs will sue them for lost earnings as result of their cheating? PL AND European clubs I would assume. Also can Brendan Rodgers and Ole sue them for lost earnings as a result of their teams not winning the PL cos a City side who have been proven to have cheated, beat them and they lost their jobs a few months later? A huge can of worms.

Last edited:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, this has really opened the can if worms. Sounds like Everton got what they deserve, they are VERY lucky it's happened this season though, having such poor teams at the bottom. Would've been relegated the last couple of seasons. They could be stuffed though, if they get sued successfully.

Chelsea and Man City must be dealt with in an appropriate, equivalent manner, but can anyone really see that happening? Look what happened with the Euro Super League stuff, where the Sky 6 and their continental counterparts tried to tear the game apart. What was their punishment? Can't remember, but wasn't it something like £20k? The powers that be said any points deductions would hurt the fans... the most ridiculous argument ever. What about fans of Everton, Middlesborough, Reading, Saints etc? Didn't stop those deductions. It's not rocket science to see the game is bent. Time will tell- let's hope they throw the book at them both.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed. I would have had no issue with the big 6 being punished for that BS idea. Albeit I suspect it was the big wigs at the top who came up with idea and not the managers/players. But I guess the same can be said for Everton/City/Chelsea. Did the managers know that signing so many players would result in them cooking the books, or did they know dodgy payments were being made?

If the scale of what City in particular, but also Chelsea, have done is accurate then both clubs should be thrown out of the league and stripped of any trophy they won. As the fan of a club who finished second to those sides I don't even care about being awarded them, personally, I would just leave the trophies as un-awarded so the history books remind everyone about what cheats those clubs were. It wont happen though. Both clubs will sue if found guilty and the FA/PL know it will cost them hundreds of millions in legal fees plus they have no balls.

Saying that, whitewashing the whole thing will damage the image of the PL as well.

Either way it's going to be interesting. I just wish they would fecking hurry up. The longer it takes the more City win and they are either tainting competitions even more, or not getting the respect they deserve as a result of the delays investigating the charges.

Top Bottom