Premier League 22/23 Thread

ferrett79

Youngling
"Ronaldo has a clause in his Al Nassr contract allowing the Portugal forward, 37, to join Newcastle United on loan if they qualify for the Champions League this season"

:ROFLMAO: yeah right, Eddie Howe is going to play Ronaldo in his team who are already third and playing really well as a unit. Seriously who does this guy think he is?
Couldn't say that any better. Lol!

lejackal

Grand Master
Well that's it, the wheels are off, Arteta out etc. Can only be thankful that we're already pretty safe from relegation 😉

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Man Utd have just beaten the 3 sides that are going to get relegated without conceding. Title charge is on, I'm joking. Credit to Ten Hag, he's already looking like the best manager we've had since Fergie retired. That's not much of an achievement, but still. City and Arsenal next two league games.

lejackal

Grand Master
Oh, and on the penalty front, the handball could've been given, but if the teams were reversed I'd have been pissed at conceding it, however the shirt pull on Gabriel was a stonewall pen imo.

173F8233-1F7E-47F4-8707-FBB5D73AFB07.jpeg

If Odegaard on Bruno is a free kick and a yellow, and Nketiahs much lighter touch shirt pull (can't find a pic) was a yellow, then surely Gabriel having his shirt pulled half way round his neck is a penalty?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It does seem that different rules apply for penalties and free kicks which I agree is stupid, if it would have been a foul at the half way line it should be a penalty.

Great performance from Spurs last night (in the second half at least) although may be too little too late.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah I can't see Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea missing out. Chelsea basically have to right this season off if they're going to give Potter a chance and the time he needs. Liverpool or Spurs will catch Newcastle or Man Utd, they both still may do it.
Did you see Brentford thumping Liverpool? It wasnt even close to being a contest. Since the season resumed Pool have beaten Villa and Leicester by a goal each, and been bloody unconvincing, lost to City and been thumped by the mighty Brentford. Granted, Brentford are a decent enough side, but they had two goals disallowed and looked like scoring every time they attacked. Liverpool DO NOT look like a side that is anywhere near the level required for CL qualification. And they haven't for most of this season.

Buying another attacker when your midfield is easier to play through than an under 7's side is….an interesting tactic. Jota and Diaz are both out for a few weeks but ehhh the midfield has been an obvious area of weakness for 2 windows now. Obviously Bellingham will fancy a Europa League campaign!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Oh, and on the penalty front, the handball could've been given, but if the teams were reversed I'd have been pissed at conceding it, however the shirt pull on Gabriel was a stonewall pen imo.

View attachment 179064
If Odegaard on Bruno is a free kick and a yellow, and Nketiahs much lighter touch shirt pull (can't find a pic) was a yellow, then surely Gabriel having his shirt pulled half way round his neck is a penalty?

I agree with @edd_jedi on the inconsistency between penalties and free kicks, but Arsenal have had a fair bit of luck so far this season, so they cant complain if they don't get a few decisions one week. (That Gabriel one does look bad though)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I have been saying for years that when a team surrounds a ref en masse, all he has to do is book every single one of them. The lino, 4th official and VAR can even help ID those who need booked, That stamps it out instantly. Especially if it's a 'big' side (the Utd and Chelsea teams of old were particularly bad for this) and two or three of them get sent off as a result. Suddenly you go from 11 vs 11 to playing with only 8 men and trying your best to avoid a thumping. No club is gonna risk that.

I think I have suggested the 'traffic light system' of cards that hockey has. Green is a slap on the wrist, yellow is 5-10 mins in a sin bin (depending on the offence) and a red is **** off you're done. The rule hockey has on swearing at a ref being a red card also instantly stamps out any foul mouth abuse.

None of it is rocket science, you just need a ref with balls who will say "that's enough, you're off." The problem is they all take the abuse and the hounding and the referees association seem more interested in the exact interpretation of rule 427A section B sub clause 4, than with actually stamping **** like this out.

I do think players who roll around on the floor, hello Neymar, should just be fair game for the rest of the match. 'You roll around after virtually no contact, or none at all, suddenly no one can be booked for fouling you.' See how Neymar likes the third knee high two footed lunge, and see how often he rolls about in future.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Well Liverpool were robbed last night! Lol

How that Salah goal was allowed, I will never know. The defender plays it, so fair enough he can't be offside. But ehhh the defender ONLY plays it cos Salah is there and he is thus gaining an advantage from being offside. If that isn't interfering with play I dunno what is.

The disallowed Wolves goal is too weird to even discuss properly. It looks like the lino gave it for the guy who took the corner being offside, but there are no camera angles that show it. How the **** can a multi million pound system like VAR NOT have enough cameras to pick up something like that? Fair enough if it is a lower league ground but the game was at Anfield FFS.
I guess it cancels out the Arsenal goal that was allowed to stand against Pool cos the Arsenal boy was so far offside he was out of shot. But both are a disgrace. You can't have VAR if **** like that is going to happen. There are something like 27 cameras at an average PL game, surely to christ ONE of them must have an angle that shows it.
Fair play to VAR they had no choice but to say we can't see so the on field decision stands. But if I was a Wolves fan I would be livid. Especially as the few fan videos and pictures I have seen, whilst not being great, do make it look like at best the corner taker was borderline. That ignores the fact that there was another touch before it was played to him.
****ing shambles.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Glaziers have got no money, although they paid themselves £30 million in dividends last year and are saving a fortune on Ronaldo's contract being terminated early. Make that make sense, a club that is always competing for the top trophy's according to the owners and board but there's no money in January because they over paid by about £50 million on players in the summer. If Ten Hag gets us top 4 he's a genius in my eyes.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
£50m? That's just on Anthony. Yonder fella doesn't look anything like a £90m player, at the minute.

Ohh and good to see Pool's record of drawing PL sides in domestic cup competitions is alive and kicking. Should they fluke past Wolves (who won the tie bar some shambolic VAR) they get Brighton. Lovely.

Still City seem to have stopped getting the weakest side in every round and are now getting big PL sides. Albeit they are still getting home ties. Arsenal in FAC, Chelsea in FAC, Liverpool in Worthless Cup, Chelsea in the Worthless Cup, four ties against fellow 'big' PL sides and all, four at home. Sigh.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I would say Anthony was £35 million over priced, we could have got him for £55 million in June and he cost £86. Martinez cost £55 probably could have got him for £40. You could argue another £10 or £20 with the other signings.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Utd's record with transfers, both how the players have performed and the price Utd have paid (and the contracts they have given) has been really really poor since Fergy left.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Agreed, mainly because there's no football people making decisions on transfers and contracts. We're a laughing stock across Europe in the elite football world apparently.

lejackal

Grand Master
BBDA0E9D-323F-46CB-B709-CB7D8C99D4E4.jpeg

Yea Alison, that's exactly what Arsenal need, another aging, past his best, former Chelski winger on big money 😂😂

lejackal

Grand Master
Yeah, it won't be any team that's remotely taking themselves seriously. He could probably do a job at another Spanish team, or elsewhere in Europe, but not on what Madrid are paying him and not in the PL

Latest posts

Top Bottom