Anyone else feel a bit lost with vintage?

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
Hey Chris hope things are good with you.
I don't think he ever said make "make me an offer"
He mentioned to Max (who he has met personally on neumerous occasions) some of the things he had and Max made him an offer.
I know them both and this is probably going to be blown out of proportion by people who don't know all the facts.
Let's wait and see :D

maxf

Jedi Master
80s_collector said:
maxf said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
... the simple truth is that when something is very expensive then buying it becomes a more serious proposition. And this is a hobby and a hobby is meant to be fun. So you have this dichotomy between a 'serious' purchase and a 'fun' hobby that can make you feel a bit lost!

I 100% agree with this.

This is supposed (for me) to be an escape from the hassles of work and the daily grind - but as prices have risen, deals have become harder to do as well - partly because of the cash now involved (2 weeks in the Bahamas vs 2 12 Backs?) but partly because some sellers are afraid of selling too low, and want 'tomorrow's prices today'. I've lost count of the number of deals in the past few months which have just been dropped by the seller - big sums of money too - which makes it really hard to keep interested in actively collecting.

I honestly think that buying my last house was less stress and hassle than the last 2 (aborted) deals I've had going on for some rarer MOCs. Now that's mental.

When it stops becoming an escape and starts becoming a hassle, you have to ask whether it's worth it.

Max, you say your tired of losing out on deals, well my advice to you mate is try offering a decent price for items instead of trying to get real bargains. The reason you lost out on some great Palitoys from me is you told me your offer was good and you werent low balling me, two weeks later your offer trebled........hmmm..... :D then on my way to the other side of the world for my vacation, the 5 figures which were offered to you were sold to a great buyer of mine for nearly 10 times what your original offer was.....! Come on mate its a lesson learnt.. :D so no hard feelings mate but come play the game....Lol

Firstly, thanks for calling me out - I spent quite a lot of money with you last year but I guess that doesn't buy much in terms of customer loyalty or discretion.

So, onto these figures. Lets set the record straight. Everything I do in this hobby I do with integrity. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I've tried to rip anybody off, let alone somebody I actually thought was a friend.

Firstly, you said "I have 4 (Stormtrooper R2, Han, Leia initially - with Vader being mentioned a while later) Palitoy ESB figures and what are they worth to you" - you had no photos, and no descriptions NOT EVEN WHICH BACK THEY WERE ON, even when I asked you. So, they could have been 45b backs for all I, or you it seems, knew. So yes, I offered you less than 30 backs were worth... not being psychic I didn't think or expect you had discovered a mythical stash of some of the rarest items in the hobby, nor would anybody I suspect - they wouldn't stay in the hobby long offering 30 back money for 45bs.

After you revealed they were 30 backs (still no photos or proof to me they existed) I told you they were worth more, but you didn't want to sell and were going to let me know when you did and when you had settled on a price (this was over a few weeks of messages, you'll remember). You actually said 'don't worry, you'll know first when I have sorted a price'.

There were three of us here were talking and trying to put an offer together, although without photos to be honest it felt like it was a fishing exercise by you and either you didn't have the figures or were just trying to get me to price them so you could drive the price up by offering them around.

Anyway, all friendly still (I thought) and since then we had a few beers together and even had dinner(!) - so why are you calling me out for not initially offering you enough for some figures without any kind of description other than 'I don't know' when asked what back they were? My offer did indeed treble 2 weeks after the initial offer - this was when you told me they were 30 backs.

I genuinely don't understand why am I being called out on here for not offering a dealer enough for his stock (which he didn't even show me)?

If you think the post I made was calling you out, then you're very much mistaken - you're one of a few people who I have found hard to deal with lately (everything cash, everything in person, no mail order, prices not set, indecision about selling), although you have obviously now won the prize for the very hardest to deal with.

I think it's actually really out of order posting about me like this - feel free to apologise and I'll try and put it down to too much sun and a bad day.

Do you have some photos of the cards/figures, and the others you told me about? It would be nice to see them, especially now everybody is interested.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I'm just impressed that a single person accumulated 5/12 on 30B cards :shock:

Nick, do you happen to know which figures. Just for cheap thrills.......was there a Sandpeople???

lejackal

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Nick, do you happen to know which figures. Just for cheap thrills.......was there a Sandpeople???

Here you go mate :wink:

(Stormtrooper R2, Han, Leia initially - with Vader being mentioned a while later)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
lejackal said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Here you go mate :wink:

(Stormtrooper R2, Han, Leia initially - with Vader being mentioned a while later)

I'm not sure how I missed this. Not that I could afford a resealed version of any single one of them, mind, but would have been interesting to follow. Cheers Carl :)

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Impressive!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Hothrebel said:
Hey Chris hope things are good with you.
I don't think he ever said make "make me an offer"
He mentioned to Max (who he has met personally on neumerous occasions) some of the things he had and Max made him an offer.
I know them both and this is probably going to be blown out of proportion by people who don't know all the facts.
Let's wait and see :D

Hey Nick,

No worries :D I was fully expecting Max to come into the thread so I deliberately kept away from talking about he and Ian specifically and just tried to throw some reasons in there about why valuations might be different, from different perspectives. As it happens, the reasons were different.

Chris

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
There's been a piece I've been after for ages - prices spiked so resounded myself to the fact that I wasn't going to get it. Then I thought why don't I sell some pieces to fund it - great idea and between some sales and working some overtime I think I probably have enough stashed away to buy it when one becomes available - BUT now I'm looking at an envelope full of cash and suddenly thinking no way am I going to spend £500 + on anything for my collection. Collecting SW is all about happy childhood memories and spending that kinda money is just irresponsible on my part.

My wife is telling me go for it - I work hard, don't blow money on drink, I've sold things to raise money but to be honest her being so good about it just makes me feel guilty and no way should I be worrying or feeling guilty about my SW hobby!
In the last month I've bought items under a tenner that have really made me smile and so that's where I'm at - I'm going to enjoy what i've got and pick up small things now and again if owning them and adding them to my collection will make me happy as doing more would just risk me getting pissed off and I never want to get pissed off with Star Wars :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
Step aside and let the big boys in.

I bet you say that to all the guys in the cubicles :D

Joking aside Todd, i couldnt agree more with that. IIRC isnt that Facebook slang for "ive got more money than you and will pay over the odds" :lol: I cant wait until i list my 13 back Palitoy Freeze frame Klaatu with commtech chip and THX leaflet. It will blow them away :lol: And ill surely become an instant millionaire.

The hobby is still here, but the comraderie and closeness isnt in most places. A fitting few posts in this thread that add a lot.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Now I'm feeling lost. A guy called Zach Tann in the 12 back group has listed up a loose Leia white cape (incorrect blue gun too) AFA90 for...

$975

Yep a loosie Leia for $1k.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StarWarsANH/permalink/544194169101976/?sale_post_id=544194169101976

80s_collector

Padawan
maxf said:
80s_collector said:
maxf said:
I 100% agree with this.

This is supposed (for me) to be an escape from the hassles of work and the daily grind - but as prices have risen, deals have become harder to do as well - partly because of the cash now involved (2 weeks in the Bahamas vs 2 12 Backs?) but partly because some sellers are afraid of selling too low, and want 'tomorrow's prices today'. I've lost count of the number of deals in the past few months which have just been dropped by the seller - big sums of money too - which makes it really hard to keep interested in actively collecting.

I honestly think that buying my last house was less stress and hassle than the last 2 (aborted) deals I've had going on for some rarer MOCs. Now that's mental.

When it stops becoming an escape and starts becoming a hassle, you have to ask whether it's worth it.

Max, you say your tired of losing out on deals, well my advice to you mate is try offering a decent price for items instead of trying to get real bargains. The reason you lost out on some great Palitoys from me is you told me your offer was good and you werent low balling me, two weeks later your offer trebled........hmmm..... :D then on my way to the other side of the world for my vacation, the 5 figures which were offered to you were sold to a great buyer of mine for nearly 10 times what your original offer was.....! Come on mate its a lesson learnt.. :D so no hard feelings mate but come play the game....Lol

Firstly, thanks for calling me out - I spent quite a lot of money with you last year but I guess that doesn't buy much in terms of customer loyalty or discretion.

So, onto these figures. Lets set the record straight. Everything I do in this hobby I do with integrity. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I've tried to rip anybody off, let alone somebody I actually thought was a friend.

Firstly, you said "I have 4 (Stormtrooper R2, Han, Leia initially - with Vader being mentioned a while later) Palitoy ESB figures and what are they worth to you" - you had no photos, and no descriptions NOT EVEN WHICH BACK THEY WERE ON, even when I asked you. So, they could have been 45b backs for all I, or you it seems, knew. So yes, I offered you less than 30 backs were worth... not being psychic I didn't think or expect you had discovered a mythical stash of some of the rarest items in the hobby, nor would anybody I suspect - they wouldn't stay in the hobby long offering 30 back money for 45bs.

After you revealed they were 30 backs (still no photos or proof to me they existed) I told you they were worth more, but you didn't want to sell and were going to let me know when you did and when you had settled on a price (this was over a few weeks of messages, you'll remember). You actually said 'don't worry, you'll know first when I have sorted a price'.

There were three of us here were talking and trying to put an offer together, although without photos to be honest it felt like it was a fishing exercise by you and either you didn't have the figures or were just trying to get me to price them so you could drive the price up by offering them around.

Anyway, all friendly still (I thought) and since then we had a few beers together and even had dinner(!) - so why are you calling me out for not initially offering you enough for some figures without any kind of description other than 'I don't know' when asked what back they were? My offer did indeed treble 2 weeks after the initial offer - this was when you told me they were 30 backs.

I genuinely don't understand why am I being called out on here for not offering a dealer enough for his stock (which he didn't even show me)?

If you think the post I made was calling you out, then you're very much mistaken - you're one of a few people who I have found hard to deal with lately (everything cash, everything in person, no mail order, prices not set, indecision about selling), although you have obviously now won the prize for the very hardest to deal with.

I think it's actually really out of order posting about me like this - feel free to apologise and I'll try and put it down to too much sun and a bad day.

Do you have some photos of the cards/figures, and the others you told me about? It would be nice to see them, especially now everybody is interested.

Your sounding like a saint mate, have you ever thought of becoming a priest...? :D , I see your getting more grief today on the forum....chill man, dont take it to heart, its toys afterall... :D all good my side, no hard feelings but no apology also, we both said our bit... :D

80s_collector

Padawan
plantman said:
the purpose of this thread is clear to see, jesus i cant see much wrong there myself.

Exactly the point.
Im a dealer/flipper and a registered business so I dont see the point of why people moan.

The main point is if every item was only worth £1 nobody would want them, but I wish a few people would stop moaning about dealers/flippers as if it wasnt for dealers there wouldnt be much product on the market.

Yes I try to get the best price I can for any item, but I play the numbers often and sometimes use my discretion to give a discount often.

So crack on everyone, its toys at the end of the day, just enjoy it and buy what you can afford.... :D

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Now I'm feeling lost. A guy called Zach Tann in the 12 back group has listed up a loose Leia white cape (incorrect blue gun too) AFA90 for...

$975

Yep a loosie Leia for $1k.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StarWarsANH/permalink/544194169101976/?sale_post_id=544194169101976

But the muppet has promised to come back and sell all the Palitoys he swiped on RS and sell them on SWFUK for (his idea of) fair prices. Something to look forward to ...

Palifan

Sith Lord
Feels like things are beginning to get a bit heated in places on the forum over the state of collecting and buying to sell ect. For me I'm thinking taking some time out might be a good thing to recharge the old batteries and remember the many good points about collecting SW. I'm lucky in that I have enough other vintage toy interests to keep me busy for a while and I'm sure the shine will come back to SW soon enough (especially when rogue one hits).

All the best for now and remember to take time out each day to look at all the great items that you do have in all of your impressive collections :D

Ian

poncho

Grand Master
Palifan said:
All the best for now and remember to take time out each day to look at all the great items that you do have in all of your impressive collections :D

Ian
I hear you fella. Hope you check in from time to time before you come back full time :)

Regards

chris

Palifan

Sith Lord
poncho said:
Palifan said:

Ian
I hear you fella. Hope you check in from time to time before you come back full time :)

Regards

chris

Cheers Chris, I'll still be around checking in but maybe not as much for a bit and also less vocal (if I can!). :D

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom