Building A Display Cabinet - GUIDE COMPLETED 03/06/18

tigerham

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
tigerham said:
Great work Jeremy and thank you for sharing. Always good to see how everyone displays their pieces and also very interesting to see how the custom ones are built as you may or may not know I am also in the process of building one too. It's nice that you can build a custom one that suits yourself.

Look forward to seeing the progression. :)
Thanks, Ham. I really will try my best to post the rest of this guide ASAP. I have the photos already, of course, so it's just a case of joining all the dots with the written instructions / explanations of what I did and why. And I am quite serious, if anyone has any questions about how I did something or why, please feel free to ask. I will try to make this guide as complete as possible, but there will always be things that I won't have explained as well as I could, or which perhaps aren't as self-explanatory as I hoped :)

And as for your own display, yes I am very much looking forward to seeing it when it's done :). I just hope you're a little faster building them than me, as I take ages! I shouldn't do, as the build itself really isn't all that time-consuming, but life usually seems to get in the way of a rapid finish! ;-)

Thank you Jeremy. I tend to do things fast so we'll see how it goes, lol. :)

tigerham

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
More content uploaded to the Guide - 15/04/18

I Like seeing it come together. Really well planned and worked out. Some precise measuring there. Thank you for sharing. Inspirational my friend. :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
tigerham said:
Snaketibe said:

I Like seeing it come together. Really well planned and worked out. Some precise measuring there. Thank you for sharing. Inspirational my friend. :)
Thanks, Ham. I apologise for the Guide taking a long time to get finished. I didn't realise just how much there is to write down about it all! I'm getting there though! :)

tigerham

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
tigerham said:
Snaketibe said:

Thanks, Ham. I apologise for the Guide taking a long time to get finished. I didn't realise just how much there is to write down about it all! I'm getting there though! :)

Totally understand. You're doing a great job! :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
With apologies for the stupid length of time it has taken me to do this, I am nevertheless pleased to announce that this guide is finally finished.

I hope at least some of you find this exercise useful, and inspires a few builds of your own :)

As ever, I am happy to answer any questions you may have, and if you like what you see, feel free to leave a comment.

Jeremy

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Just a quick update to say that the cabinet (finally!) has some contents. Here's a quick taster, but if you would like to see more detailed pictures, you can do so here http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34774

Thanks.

New Cabinet - 01.jpg

Palifan

Sith Lord
Well about bloody time! :lol:

Looks fantastic and can't wait to see it filled up, top work that man! :D

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Palifan said:

Ian
Thanks, Ian. Yes, it certainly took me a damn sight longer than I ever intended, but it's nice to finally have the figures in their new home.

As for filling the rest of it, as per the 'proper' post about this in the Off Topic section (I only posted this one here since it seemed appropriate to post at least one pic showing some stuff actually in the cabinet in a thread about making the damn thing! :lol: ), I hope to get a Hasbro / Haslab Khetanna for the bottom shelf next year. By lucky chance, even though this cabinet wasn't designed to hold one, because it's such a monster, I do in fact have enough room to fit one in, so I re-jigged my display plans and compressed the Family Guy, Buffy and Angel figures to free up the bottom third to make room for Jabba's 'wheels' :-D

Jeremy

Taffius

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Just a quick update to say that the cabinet (finally!) has some contents. Here's a quick taster, but if you would like to see more detailed pictures, you can do so here http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34774

Thanks.

New Cabinet - 01.jpg

Nice one. These displays look great and provided so many ideas.....thanks! :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Palifan said:

Ian
Thanks, Ian. Yes, it certainly took me a damn sight longer than I ever intended, but it's nice to finally have the figures in their new home.

As for filling the rest of it, as per the 'proper' post about this in the Off Topic section (I only posted this one here since it seemed appropriate to post at least one pic showing some stuff actually in the cabinet in a thread about making the damn thing! :lol: ), I hope to get a Hasbro / Haslab Khetanna for the bottom shelf next year. By lucky chance, even though this cabinet wasn't designed to hold one, because it's such a monster, I do in fact have enough room to fit one in, so I re-jigged my display plans and compressed the Family Guy, Buffy and Angel figures to free up the bottom third to make room for Jabba's 'wheels' :-D

Jeremy

Well that would certainly fill the cabinet and also look amazing in there with some figures on it. Did you end up placing an order for one to come over to the UK or are you hoping to get one once they're released? When I was in the US earlier this year a friend said I could send one to him and he'd ship it to me but I decided against it knowing I wouldn't have the space for it. It is a thing of beauty though so hopefully you can score one at some point (if you haven't already).

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Taffius said:
Snaketibe said:

Thanks.

New Cabinet - 01.jpg

Nice one. These displays look great and provided so many ideas.....thanks! :D
Thanks, and good luck with your own cabinet (don't forget to show us some pics when everything's ready! :))

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
Snaketibe said:
Palifan said:

Ian

Jeremy

Well that would certainly fill the cabinet and also look amazing in there with some figures on it. Did you end up placing an order for one to come over to the UK or are you hoping to get one once they're released? When I was in the US earlier this year a friend said I could send one to him and he'd ship it to me but I decided against it knowing I wouldn't have the space for it. It is a thing of beauty though so hopefully you can score one at some point (if you haven't already).

Ian
Thanks. In the end, I have hopefully sourced one through a friend of a friend. As you know, Hasbro wouldn't ship to customers in the UK, and I am deeply skeptical about the price in sterling of any Khetannas they do deign to put into the UK market. However, luckily a friend of mine that runs an online comic shop has stuff sent over from America regularly by a friend out there, and they both kindly agreed to let me buy one through them. So all being well, I should have one sent over some time next year (the estimated shipping date is the end of February) :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Palifan said:
Snaketibe said:

Jeremy

Ian
Thanks. In the end, I have hopefully sourced one through a friend of a friend. As you know, Hasbro wouldn't ship to customers in the UK, and I am deeply skeptical about the price in sterling of any Khetannas they do deign to put into the UK market. However, luckily a friend of mine that runs an online comic shop has stuff sent over from America regularly by a friend out there, and they both kindly agreed to let me buy one through them. So all being well, I should have one sent over some time next year (the estimated shipping date is the end of February) :)

That's great news and I can't wait to see it on display, it's going to look very impressive and I still think it was unfair of Hasbro not to offer these out to more countries. I know they've mentioned about having some allocated for Europe but I doubt it will be many and it seemed like an afterthought.

Ian

Pomse2001

Grand Master
wow great work :shock: but where are the pictures of the star wars ? I can only see a little bit of it to the right on a picture ? :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
wow great work :shock: but where are the pictures of the star wars ? I can only see a little bit of it to the right on a picture ? :lol:

As mentioned in the related post here (http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35502), this particular cabinet build was never intended to hold vintage Star Wars items. Instead, what I wanted to do was create a 'how to' guide to show anyone who was interested how they might build their own cabinet to house whatever they wished to display, which could of course naturally include vintage Star Wars items. Although I made that fact clear in the previous thread, it was an accidental omission on my part not to reiterate it at the start of this guide, so I will amend the first post to make that clear.

As for what is in this cabinet, it was always intended to hold my Buffy, Angel and Family Guy 6" figures, plus a few other bits and pieces. However, after I started planning and building it, Hasbro announced they were making a 4" scale Khetanna, and as luck would have it this cabinet is so massive there is actually enough room to hold Jabba's sail barge on the bottom shelf, providing I compressed the other figures to take up less space and free up the bottom.

The Star Wars figures you see on the right are some modern ones which I will use to populate the barge and (hopefully, space permitting!) a couple of skiffs, to make a diorama of sorts.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

As mentioned in the related post here (http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35502), this particular cabinet build was never intended to hold vintage Star Wars items. Instead, what I wanted to do was create a 'how to' guide to show anyone who was interested how they might build their own cabinet to house whatever they wished to display, which could of course naturally include vintage Star Wars items. Although I made that fact clear in the previous thread, it was an accidental omission on my part not to reiterate it at the start of this guide, so I will amend the first post to make that clear.

As for what is in this cabinet, it was always intended to hold my Buffy, Angel and Family Guy 6" figures, plus a few other bits and pieces. However, after I started planning and building it, Hasbro announced they were making a 4" scale Khetanna, and as luck would have it this cabinet is so massive there is actually enough room to hold Jabba's sail barge on the bottom shelf, providing I compressed the other figures to take up less space and free up the bottom.

The Star Wars figures you see on the right are some modern ones which I will use to populate the barge and (hopefully, space permitting!) a couple of skiffs, to make a diorama of sorts.

Ok so it is not for vintage star wars, but it still looks great, great work :D

Great to read there can be a sail barge in it :shock: You have to take pictures of it when you get it :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom