Seahawks Showcase

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Tracked down a frame for my Wonder Bread card set.

Wonderbread.jpg

Also a bit more Photoshop fun trying to recreate that iconic image that I first saw in the original SW novel 40 years ago.

Dewback6.jpg

Dewback1.jpg

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Recently my folks came across a box of pictures, most of which I'd never seen before (or at least that I remember seeing). Among those pictures, there are several from my childhood birthdays and Christmases in which I'm holding Star Wars toys. There is one particular photo from Christmas 1981 where I'm holding the R2-D2 and C-3PO talking alarm clock. I vividly remember them telling me to wake up right away and thinking it was so freakin' cool.

Well, today I was out and about with my kids and made a quick stop at the Star Wars Store. Much to my delight, they had that same clock that I had as a kid. The owner gave me a very fair deal for it while not knowing if it works or not. The clock and box are in amazing condition and even includes the Styrofoam. As a bonus, it also still has the original purchase receipt and return slip. It was purchased at Sears, Robuck and Co. in Seattle on January 13th, 1982 by a lady from Spokane. It was then returned to the store on January 16th (only 3 days later) and notes "Voice works but clock doesn't".

The clock is a wind-up, but requires a C battery for the voice feature. I stopped by the store on my way home to pick up a battery and tried it out, but no luck. I then carefully took it apart. The clock started to work for a few minutes, then stopped. This is obviously the same issue it has had since it was new. The voice box is a small record player box (similar to the Imperial Troop Transporter voice function). After fiddling with it for a bit, I was able to get it to work. 3PO talks in slow motion which I'm assuming is because the small motor that runs it needs lubricated.

Anyway, I'm stoked to add this to my collection. I've included some pics, along with that pic of me back in 1981.

****Addendum***
After adding a small drop of oil, voice sounds much better! Here's a quick video of it working. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1SGmRhdlo

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Very well done on buying the clock! It's great you were able to find a less well known piece in such good condition that has such a personal connection. And of course, very well done too on getting it working again :). The video clip was great too, even if C-3PO does seem to have an American twang ;-). I guess Anthony Daniels wasn't asked to do it or was too pricey!

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
I'm not one to do "unboxing" type videos, but decided this is well worth breaking my own unwritten rule. Amazing Blue Snaggletooth custom mask made by Mark Enright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOOmhwPNTTk

Blue Snag.jpg

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Snaketibe said:
Very well done on buying the clock! It's great you were able to find a less well known piece in such good condition that has such a personal connection. And of course, very well done too on getting it working again :). The video clip was great too, even if C-3PO does seem to have an American twang ;-). I guess Anthony Daniels wasn't asked to do it or was too pricey!

Thanks a lot Snake!
I believe you hit the nail on the head. I think this is the only time I've heard someone other than Anthony Daniels do the voice. :)

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
So over the 4th of July weekend, I had 4 days off and decided to venture south (I live in NW Oregon) and head to the California Redwoods. I've made several trips down there over the years as I absolutely love it. Obviously we all know that the Endor scenes were filmed in that area, but in all the trips I've made I never took the time to try to locate the filming location of the Speeder Bike chase. Well, this time I was determined to find it and see some of that iconic imagery from ROTJ.

After making it down that way and having to sleep in my truck as all of the hotels were sold out due to the holiday weekend (not very smart planning on my part, but I like to do things on a whim), my daughters and I arrived in the area where it was filmed. I ended up pulling off and asking a couple very helpful locals and was able to find the spot!

We arrived about 3:00 in the afternoon and it was sunny and about 65 degrees. Absolutely perfect weather. The grove sits right next to the river and there were several vehicles there, but they must have all been down by the river. My daughters and I had the entire trail to ourselves! We spent a little over an hour just walking around. I did get some screen grabs on my phone ahead of time (no cell reception) so I could try to match the locations. It looks very similar to what it did back in 1983 and I could darn near hear the Speeder Bikes screaming through the trees. It was incredible being transported into Endor for an hour and I tried my best to take it all in. I could have spent the rest of the evening there, but I don't think my kids would have appreciated that. :)

While I was there, I decided it would be neat to have a small memento to take home. The large tree across the trail (the one that Luke and Leia go under) has bark that is very rotten and virtually falling off in places. I grabbed a couple small pieces of bark to bring home. The two smaller trees that are crossed are still very solid, so I simply grabbed a small piece of moss off of one of them.

Unfortunately, the other scenes with actors, explosions, etc were filmed on private land that is not accessible to the public. Even if it was, it would be unrecognizable as that area was completely logged shortly after filming completed. It's a shame, but I'm glad us fans can still go and see where the Biker Scout Chase footage was shot.

Here are a couple pics of my NA's from this trip with some reference pics. The upper photos are screen grabs from ROTJ and the lower ones are pics I took last weekend. It was a lot of fun. I also had to do a quick little time lapse video recreating one moment from that iconic scene.

https://youtu.be/BbVQYj2MQbg

Bark_zpsltcktqk9.jpg

Moss_zpsxllqzoej.jpg

I could darn near hear the speeder bikes screaming through this grove of trees. Checked one off the 'ol SW bucket list.

Entrance to Endor

1.jpg

Reference screen cap from ROTJ

2.jpg

This is it!

3.jpg

Pano vision

4.jpg

My kids being goofy and laughing at 'ol Dad for being such a nerd. Once we started walking the trail and we started matching up reference photos, they thought it was pretty cool too. :)

5.jpg

Screen cap from ROTJ for reference

6.jpg

This is it!

7.jpg

Another pano

8.jpg

Selfie time

9.jpg

And I had to do this for fun!

Speeder%20Bike%202_zpsqyfw5bgu.jpg

---

vlc 2017-07-01 09-55-05-82.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 116
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 116
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 115
  • vlc 2017-07-01 09-55-05-82.jpg
    vlc 2017-07-01 09-55-05-82.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 118

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Snaketibe said:
That's fantastic! Fabulous photos and a great composite with the speeder bike and figures at the end :)

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Snake! I had a blast and hope to make it out to Death Valley one of these days to check out those sites. Definitely a bit farther than the Redwoods for me, but doable. :)

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
As I am going back through my birthday pictures from 1979 again and cleaning them up a bit in Photoshop, I think I may have figured out what I'm holding the first picture. I believe it's a Kenner catalog wrapped around Boba Fett. This makes sense as it's clear I'm holding the figure in a couple of the other photos. I know this isn't earth shattering or anything, but if that is in fact what it is, I think it's pretty dang cool my Mom took the time to mail away for it ahead of time so I could have it on my birthday.

IMG_8161.JPG

Closeup

19452934_10211763940471351_2369838448510309678_o.jpg

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Some of you may remember that awhile back, my parents found a box of old family photos. Within those photos, there were a few that had Star Wars related items in them. The earliest of those images were from my birthday back in 1978. In the background of one is the Star Wars Play-Doh Action Set. I believe that Play-Doh set may have been the first Star Wars toy I ever got.

Since coming across this photo, I've been keeping my eyes open for one to add to my collection. I recently found one that is in pretty good shape considering. The box shows a little bit of wear and the colors have faded a bit, but I like it. It did come with three brand new cans, so I may have to test it out. :)

Play-Doh1.jpg

Photo of me holding Stretch Monster (wish I still had that) with the Play-Doh set in the background.

Play-Doh3.jpg

Love the JC Penny sticker too!

Play-Doh2.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
wow that is some amazing pictures from your childhood that you have found 8) I love the dirty socks :lol:

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Pomse2001 said:
wow that is some amazing pictures from your childhood that you have found 8) I love the dirty socks :lol:

Thanks Pomse! The socks were definitely a bonus. My wife yells at me for the same thing nearly 40 years later. Old habits are hard to break I guess.
lol

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Came across some photos of my birthday present back in 2006. My wife surprised me with tickets to go Star Wars, Where Science Meets Imagination. It was an exhibit that came to OMSI in Portland for a couple months and there were a bunch of original props. It was really cool to see this stuff up close and personal. The full sized Landspeeder was awesome!

Thought you' guys might enjoy them.

P1020687.jpg

P1020692.jpg

P1020700.jpg

P1020701.jpg

P1020703.jpg

P1020704.jpg

P1020706.jpg

P1020707.jpg

P1020708.jpg

P1020709.jpg

P1020710.jpg

P1020711.jpg

P1020713.jpg

P1020714.jpg

P1020715.jpg

P1020716.jpg

P1020717.jpg

P1020718.jpg

P1020727.jpg

P1020728.jpg

P1020729.jpg

P1020730.jpg

P1020731.jpg

P1020734.jpg

P1020735.jpg

P1020736.jpg

P1020733.jpg

P1020732.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom