Seahawks Showcase

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Hey fellas - I'm new to the SWF.UK forum, but a lifelong Star Wars fan/collector. My name is Jason and I'm 41 years old and live in the Great Pacific Northwest United States. Growing up I was obsessed with the Kenner Star Wars toys and for many years, that is all I would ask for at birthdays and Christmas. At a young age I became a "completest" with the figures, even though I had no idea what that meant at the time. :) I have to thank my parents for not throwing away my old toys and they sat in boxes and spread around in the attic for many years.

I was in high school and college (or University as you Brits call it) during the "Dark Times" and focused on football (the American kind) and girls. Then in 1995 the POTF2 line came out and I was hurled back into the world of SW once again. It was around this time this crazy thing call the "internet" came out and I immediately started searching for info on Star Wars. That is when I found the Star Wars Collector's Archive (toyrgus.com) and a few others. I also learned about Usenet groups and became involved there and started to connect with fellow SW collectors. Thanks to the old Usenet groups, I was able to complete my loose collection where I was missing Leia Hoth, Yak Face and R2 with pop up saber. For several years I tried to keep up with getting all of the new figures, but after Episode 1 came out it became too much.

I purchased my first 12 back around 1998 or 1999 from a local hobby store in Portland. I have always been a huge Darth Vader fan and that's the one I had to have. I think I paid $300 USD for it and made payment over the course of 3 months. This is when I decided my ultimate collecting goal was to get the first 12 on SW cardback. Over the course of the next couple years, I was able to get a couple more, but then my wife became pregnant and priorities change dramatically as you can imagine. A house and 2 beautiful daughters later and fast forward about 12 years.

My garage was packed with POTF2 and Episode 1 stuff for many years and just wasn't doing anything with it. I ended up giving most of it away to one of my best friends who has four boys. I kept a few modern items, but decided to focus strictly on vintage.

Over the past couple years, I've got back into the hobby pretty strongly and have grown my collection by quite a bit. Unfortunately I have nowhere to display much as my kids took over the spare bedroom that used to by my Man Cave. I have a corner in the garage I can display a couple things, but that's it for now. One day I hope to get a room that I can dedicate to displaying much of my collection. In the meantime, I try to photograph some of it before they get stored away.

Enough with my long winded introduction, here are a few items in my collection.

First 12

12 Backs.jpg

My original childhood first 12. They are "beaters" to most, but priceless in my collection.

First12c.jpg

Figure cabinet I made last year. My carpentry skills are very lacking, but it's still holding together. :)

Display1.jpg

Display2.jpg

A few months back I entered a diorama contest and Kim Simmons was one of the judges. I won 2nd place and was stoked to get an autographed print of his iconic Imperial Attack Base photo. The contest was to put your own spin on that image. Here is the reference photo I used and mine is below it. I bribed my youngest daughter to be the hand model. About 2 seconds after I snapped the photo, the wall and bunker came crashing down.

IMG_5107.JPG

Hoth3.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Hi Jason,

Welcome to SWFUK! Thanks for the introduction and for sharing your own personal SW story. We all have our own SW tale to tell and I enjoyed reading yours. I also enjoyed the terrific photos. Wonderful set of 12 backs you have, and I love the dioramas! Thanks for sharing them.

Jeremy

lejackal

Grand Master
Welcome Jason, I said it on FB about the 12 backs and I'll say it here, amazing job!
I really am very envious of the first 12 from childhood as well. Fantastic 8)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Nice one!
Loving the images you've taken of your diorama set-ups
Hope to be seeing more of this in the future.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Hi Jason- that's a great introduction 8) Very nice collection, the 12 backs are stunning, but as you say, it's the childhood stuff that's priceless!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hey Jason, welcome to the forum, mate. Great write up there, always enjoy reading people's journey's as it brings back my own SW memories, too.

Said it in the LA thread and I'll say it here too: Great first 12 run. You cannot tell they're anything less than perfect and they make a hell of a display. And like Carl, I'm envious of you having your original figures. Beaters or not they too would be the pride of my collection.

Hope you have fun here and stay a while. It's a great community and growing all the time.

Sabreman

Padawan
Welcome to the forum you have a fantastic collection, by far the best are your childhood first twelve figures. I would give almost anything to have anything from my childhood collection.

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome and the great comments. I've really enjoyed browsing the forum. It's obvious there are a ton a great folks on here and I definitely plan on sticking around.

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
As I said in my original post, I don't have room to display much (and the wife doesn't appreciate it as much as I do unfortunately). :) I enjoy setting up my old toys and photographing them, then go in and spice them up with some Photoshop. Here are a few I've done in the past.

"I don't think you boys can help. I must go alone."

1c.jpg

"What a piece of junk....."

Falcon2-small.jpg

This is one my oldest daughter and I made together. Tried to make it look like something you would see in the old department store catalogs back in the day.

Speeder Bikes5.jpg

"Ben?"

VaderBen1a.jpg

"NO!!"

VaderBen2c.jpg

"Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?"

Skiff3a.jpg

"Ya, they're Sandpeople alright I can see one of them now.."

Sandpeople-grain-small.jpg

"Where are those tranmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans?"

Vader-Antilles4.jpg

"What I really need is a droid who understands the binary language of moisture vaporators."

Sandcrawler6-small.jpg

Luke vs. Vader ROTJ Duel

ThroneRoom2.jpg

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Stunning pictures and collection, thanks for sharing. Shame about your choice of NFL team :D (you can guess mine from my forum name)

spoons

Grand Master
Welcome aboard Jason. Fantastic story and collection - those first 12 look great!

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Woolyniner said:
Stunning pictures and collection, thanks for sharing. Shame about your choice of NFL team :D (you can guess mine from my forum name)

Thanks man. I won't hold your choice of team against you. ;)
You must admit, they have played some great games against each other over the years.

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Seahawks said:
Woolyniner said:

Thanks man. I won't hold your choice of team against you. ;)
You must admit, they have played some great games against each other over the years.

Indeed, just be gentle with us this year, we're still recovering...... :)

x-wingMark

Jedi Master
Loving those pictures Jason. Great 12 back run too.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom