Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
I'm just grateful away goals don't matter anymore. I can see the return leg being like the City game - keep it tight, controlled and try and nick it

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Good luck to WH tonight. A tougher draw than Arsenal got in the CL, and that's not a dig at Arsenal, just the way it goes.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
They got 2 in the last seconds of ET to beat Carrierbag in the last round.

I THINK they can win the Bundesliga this weekend, so that may distract them. Probably not though

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Such a shame. We were great- defended brilliantly until the 83rd minute. Just ran out of steam and Leverkusen were relentless. The quality of their subs was ridiculous. Think Bowen and Alvarez would've made a real difference tonight. Massively up against it next week- Paq, Emerson and probably Bowen missing. At least we put up a good fight against a top, top, in- form team.

What on Earth happened to Liverpool?!

lejackal

Grand Master
Liverpool (going on the beeb website, haven't actually seen it) started with a not first 11 eleven, by FT they had a definite PL level side out, but still 70/80% at best.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Liverpool had one. All eleven of them.

One of those games where everyone was **** and the subs came on and managed to be worse than the guys they replaced. Mo Salah was utterly anonymous, Sobozlai sold the ranch for the third, Joe Gomez seemed to think he was peak Coutinho and shot from 30 yards every time. And missed the target.....every time.

Atalanta are a decent side, they play a weird system whereby they man mark. Numbers 2-11 man mark, for 90 mins. Liverpool never seemed to come to terms with it. Too many sideways or backwards passes, or taking 3 touches when one would do and Kelleher was left with no choice but to boot it long. Nunez missed a few more decent chances. BUT the side Liverpool put out should have been more than enough to beat the side currently 6th in Serie A. It certainly shouldn't have lost, 3-0, at home to them.

All to do in the second leg. The comeback is possible, but unlikely. Especially given Liverpool's current inability to take ANY ****ing chances.

Sad way for Klopp to finish what will probably be his last European game at Anfield. A 0-3 defeat in the EL to Atalanta.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
What you on about sad way to finish for Klopp, he fluked one UCL final and became god to Liverpool fans. The rest is history.

They can turn that around and walk the league. Don't be so reactionary. Liverpool have been struggling with injuries for most the season can still have a great season.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It's more the fact he took a side, a ****ing shambles of a side, that just been hoked 5-0 or 5-1 by Stoke and made them European Champions, and lost two other CL finals. You can fluke a CL, but to make three finals is a bit harder. If Real Madrid would just **** off it could have been three wins lol.

The league is City's to throw away, they have the experience, the best squad and the easiest run in. I don't see them dropping any points which means Liverpool, and Arsenal, cant either. On current form, I don't see Liverpool doing that. It's possible, Thursday night might well be a turning point and finegrs are pulled out. Nunez might try to put the ball in the back of the net rather than feeding the fans with souvenir match balls, Salah might turn up, the entire team might stop the stupid mistakes that cost goals/games etc. But I'm not confident. Pool have punched above their weight this season given the new signings and the injuries, and I suspect this may be a case of 'mean reversion'. Don't get me wrong, I'd have taken CL qualification (and a worthless cup) in August. It's just frustrating/disappointing. Especially as the dip in form has happened AFTER the injury crisis was over. If it was still on going I could understand, indeed it would be perfectly excusable. Jayden Danns is not Mo Salah, Bobby Clarke doesn't have a world cup winners medal lying at home. But since the 'big names' came back it's been a case of grinding the results out and then ehhh not against Utd and getting spanked on Thursday. We'll see, but momentum is crucial at this stage of the season

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I disagree, Liverpool have got the easier run in and if they start putting there chances away should win it. Rock and Role.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I disagree, Liverpool have got the easier run in and if they start putting there chances away should win it. Rock and Role.
Really? Liverpool have Palace (H), Fulham, Everton and WH (all away), Spurs (H), Villa (A), and Wolves (H).

City have Brighton (A), Forest, (A), Wolves (H), Fulham (A), Spurs (A) and WH (H).

Arsenal have Villa (H), Wolves (A), Chelsea (H), Spurs (A), Bournemouth (H), Utd (A), Everton (H)

City's run in looks much easier than the other two.
Pool and Arsenal both have away derby games, Pool have to go to Villa, who beat City and Arsenal at VP already, Pool also have Spurs at Anfield. Arsenal have Villa at home, and the two wild cards of Chelsea and Utd. Those two could just as easily knick a point or more, or roll over and lose 4-0. Albeit Utd only seem to turn up against Pool.
Bar a trip to Spurs, you would expect City to win all those games if the pressure was on.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Insert gif of yer man from Aliens shouting "Game over man."

Pool's title challenge ended at OT, yesterday was just the final lowering of the coffin into the ground. Arsenal's ended yesterday too.

City wont drop any points from here so we are playing for second place. Which may end up being a title in 20yrs when the FA/PL FINALLY get round to charging City for all their cheating. But that's no consolation.

That Pool game was ridiculous. Nunez and Jota hit the keeper and defender when it was easier to score. Curtis Jones fluffed a one on one from the half way line. And, TBF, some Palace boy missed one/had it saved by Alison. But that game should have been won comfortably. I saw two stats that sum Liverpool up at the minute, apparently they need 13 shots to score a goal, and in their last two home games (Atalanta and Palace) they had an XG of 5.5….they scored no goals.
Pish defending comes back to bite you when you have strikers with all the killer instinct of a stoned Mother Theresa.

Shocking weekend all round, Spurs, Pool, WH, and Arsenal all losing. Utd fluking a point against Bournemouth was the "highlight" for our teams.

Utd were a tad fortunate with both their penalty, very harsh to give that after a double deflection, and the disallowed Bournemouth one. I have seen pens given for the defender touching the box, Fabinho against SU, and penalties, like Utd's, not given. In Fab's case 'touching the box counts as in it' in the others 'contact was outside the box'. Good old VAR.
Back to the Utd one, there is a decent argument that the contact continued inside the box. It's probably one of those had the ref said he thought it did, VAR wouldnt have over turned it. But all academic anyway.

FOOTBALL'S A **** SPORT

Last edited:

lejackal

Grand Master
It is 99% over, however (in my head at least) there is one superbly delicious scenario left on the table.

Arsenal take maximum points
City do, apart from a draw at Spurs
Spurs one point from that game simultaneously knocks Villa out of the CL spots AND wins us the league on goal difference.

So petty and so unlikely but it's all I've got

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom