latest film/ dvd you have seen

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Saw "midnight special" last night. Anyone else seen it. I have no idea what to make of it at all. Very strange film.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Batman vs. Superman
Utter tripe
Can't think of a redeeming feature in the whole thing
I also (unbelievably for the first time) have to question why all superheroes and bad guys are all fully versed in martial arts... nonsense!

stormcab

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
Dead pool - great movie, plenty of laughing out loud, loved it!

MM Fury Road - decent, can't really understand how it got so much love at the oscars but what do they know :lol: , liked the 'real' special effects a lot, it's a nice departure from cgi based films, story was very dull and what was Tom Hardys grunting all about? The original MM had a speaking part didn't he? :D

Batman v Superman - a confused film trying to do way too much, feels like 4 or 5 films mashed into one. Makes the Marvel post film Easter eggs look genius, I mean trailing the Justice League toons by finding them on a data stick? Is that the best they could do? Thought Affleck was pretty decent, Lex was more like Son of Lex and was pretty terrible, and Wonder Woman got a good introduction. I've got a high tolerance for crap films so I thought it was passable, but I'm not surprised many people thought it was a dud.

Always laugh when people praised Mad Max for not using CGI :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• 1fx1.jpg
    1fx1.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen_Shot_2015-05-30_at_10.12.41_AM.png
    Screen_Shot_2015-05-30_at_10.12.41_AM.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 39
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 42
  • MTMwNTY5MDQxNjEyOTU5NzE0.jpg
    MTMwNTY5MDQxNjEyOTU5NzE0.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 45

skywalker

Jedi Master
10 Cloverfield lane - **** 1hr 50min of NOTHING happening...

Batman v Superman dawn of justice - EVEN SHITER 2hr 50min..!!! board shitless thank **** I downloaded it and did not spunk £20 at the cinema...

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
stormcab said:

Point? I said it wasn't a CGI based film and I'm pretty sure real actors, real props, real action in real environment don't constitute a CGI based film.

Shall we remind ourselves what a real a real CGI based film looks like. :roll:

lightsabergreenscreen.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Don't watch the Point Break remake. Absolute garbage. I love the original which admittedly is a bit far fetched, but the remake is ridiculous!

stormcab

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
stormcab said:

Point? I said it wasn't a CGI based film and I'm pretty sure real actors, real props, real action in real environment don't constitute a CGI based film.

In that second photo it shows CGI has added several hundred more people. I've read up that both people, vehicles, backgrounds, and depth were added with CGI. I don't know why people are labeling it as non CGI on a technicality. Why would that be so important anyway? If the CGI is so good we can't see the difference. Is it because they want to know the actors were in real danger of being injured or killed? I personally think it's a sort of fraud as it's like the company saying "there's no CGI in this film, so it really needs to be seen".

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I think the point people are try to make with mad max is they did real stunts and built all the vehicles which in this day and age is unusual.
It's certainly not a non cg film and some of the effects are actually pretty gash but the bits that were done for really do stand out and prove no matter how clever the special effects are, if you want it to look real, you have to do it for real.

timbo72

Sith Lord
So I've seen Captain America civil war Twice today. Was definitely better the second time around. Spidey worked well as did Antman. Blank panther was interesting as I don't know much about his character. Worth a watch

Scott

Padawan
x-pack said:
Scott said:
x-pack said:
Eyes wide shut

If there are any Kubrick fans I need to discuss this film :shock:

I thought it was underrated when it was released. But years later it is very respected. Same with Barry Lyndon. :)

I haven't got round to a second viewing but will do soon. Eyes Wide Shut had me gripped. It was kind of hypnotic, like a dream. On the surface you've got a hot couple having relationship struggles, she either intentionally or not makes him jealous, then he goes on a two night bender of bizarre sexual encounters during which he doesn't actually have sex with anyone, which is quite funny. That in itself was brilliant but I have a feeling there's more to it.

Just got myself a copy of Barry Lyndon so don't tell me anything. I have an idea what it's about. Even if the film sucked and I hated the story I know it will be visually stunning with such an amazing director. The reason I picked this up is because it's referred to in The Shining documentary Room 237 as "the work of a bored genius". in fact that's also the reason I picked up Eyes WIde Shut, because it's constantly referred to in that documentary.

Have you seen Barry Lyndon yet? I'll keep mum if not. A good pub quiz question is "What was the film Stanley Kubrick made after 'A Clockwork Orange' but before 'The Shining' ?". I've seen self proclaimed "film buffs" baffled by this :lol:

I saw Room 237 for the first time recently on Film 4. I thought the theory about the genocide of the Native Indians very convincing, the Holocaust theory less so and the Moon Landings conspiracy I took with a barrel of salt :!:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
My wife took me to see Civil War yesterday for my Birthday. Enjoyed it, but I'm definitely starting to feel a little Marvelled-out, especially after seeing the new X-Men trailer. It's all starting to feel a little samey. Hope SW doesn't go the same way...

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Went to see Civil War last night, really enjoyed the film. There was plenty of humour and the action was tight and well put together. There was some real substance to the film and I loved that the main ideological differences and divideds played out on screen in a similar way to the graphic novel.

The new Spidey was a lot of fun and the scope for ongoing banter between him, Stark and Aunt 'Hotty' in the Spiderman film is endless, also he gets the best line in the film, 'You know that old film, Empire Strikes Back'

Blackpanther was pretty much spot on and it was good to see he wasn't just a cameo.

Overall there is a lot going on, setting up at least three new films to come and very deliberatley putting the avengers themselves in a particular place a wheat of the infinity wars.

Easily the best of the three captain America films and one of the best MCU films.

Also watched Special Coredpondence on Netflix tonight, pretty harmless and very obviously a low budget affair, but enjoyable enough, if forgettable.

stormcab

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
My wife took me to see Civil War yesterday for my Birthday. Enjoyed it, but I'm definitely starting to feel a little Marvelled-out, especially after seeing the new X-Men trailer. It's all starting to feel a little samey. Hope SW doesn't go the same way...

Well looking forward to it, but I'll be waiting until Tuesday or Wednesday to use Meerkat movies BOGOF :D . With all the Star Wars films predicted to be coming out, you'll soon be Star Warsed-out.

x-pack

Grand Master
Scott said:
x-pack said:
Scott said:
I thought it was underrated when it was released. But years later it is very respected. Same with Barry Lyndon. :)

I haven't got round to a second viewing but will do soon. Eyes Wide Shut had me gripped. It was kind of hypnotic, like a dream. On the surface you've got a hot couple having relationship struggles, she either intentionally or not makes him jealous, then he goes on a two night bender of bizarre sexual encounters during which he doesn't actually have sex with anyone, which is quite funny. That in itself was brilliant but I have a feeling there's more to it.

Just got myself a copy of Barry Lyndon so don't tell me anything. I have an idea what it's about. Even if the film sucked and I hated the story I know it will be visually stunning with such an amazing director. The reason I picked this up is because it's referred to in The Shining documentary Room 237 as "the work of a bored genius". in fact that's also the reason I picked up Eyes WIde Shut, because it's constantly referred to in that documentary.

Have you seen Barry Lyndon yet? I'll keep mum if not. A good pub quiz question is "What was the film Stanley Kubrick made after 'A Clockwork Orange' but before 'The Shining' ?". I've seen self proclaimed "film buffs" baffled by this :lol:

I saw Room 237 for the first time recently on Film 4. I thought the theory about the genocide of the Native Indians very convincing, the Holocaust theory less so and the Moon Landings conspiracy I took with a barrel of salt :!:

No, haven't got round to it yet. Thing is with Barry Lyndon that I know it'll be long and, quite possibly, a slow one. So I need to be in the mood with no distraction. So don't tell me anything yet :wink:

Room 237 presents some great theories. Actually I found the moon landing one quite convincing. By that I don't mean that I believe Kubrick had a hand in the landing footage, but I do think he was giving a nod to his personal feelings on the conspiracy. I'm not exactly sure where the idea that he was involved in filming the moon landings came from :?

The main things I love on there are the small details such as the side on office errection scene ( :lol: ), and the dig at Stephen King with the crushed Beetle car (although I also believe Kubrick could have been saying 'i've crushed your ideas like a Beetle'). That for me is the most obvious derailment to the story - clearly placed so King would be pissed off, and also clearly a sign that Kubrick was using King's original story as his own vehicle ...see how much you can read into that one tiny scene! I could go on for ages about this. Love the Shining :D

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Cazza said:
I'm definitely starting to feel a little Marvelled-out.

I was there about 8 years ago. Thankfully Hollywood havent flogged every single comic book franchise to death so I don't get pissed off at seeing yet another ****ing super hero movie, with predictable generic plot, coming out every other month. :roll:

Bah humbug.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
stormcab said:
jedisearcher said:
stormcab said:

In that second photo it shows CGI has added several hundred more people. I've read up that both people, vehicles, backgrounds, and depth were added with CGI. I don't know why people are labeling it as non CGI on a technicality. Why would that be so important anyway? If the CGI is so good we can't see the difference. Is it because they want to know the actors were in real danger of being injured or killed? I personally think it's a sort of fraud as it's like the company saying "there's no CGI in this film, so it really needs to be seen".

Might have to agree to disagree here :lol:

Personally I've got no issue with film makers adding depth using CGI, I mean even TV series extensively use CGI now. We're long past the days of big budget Ben Hur/Spartacus films with thousands of extras but I do tend to lose all interest when the CGI becomes the film.

ODB

Jedi Master
Scott said:

The people close to Kubrick have stated that most of Room 237 is utter guff as they have read into it far more than was ever intended. The real genius of The Shining is making a ghost film with resorting to a single lightning storm, cobweb, dark room or creaking door cliche that seems to inhabit 99% of the other ghost/horror films. Its all well lit and yet ever so weird and unsettling.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I use to be on the 'same old film' marvel jibe. Feel that most super hero films do nt have much to offer after origin or save the girlfriend story.

Really liked the captain America Trilogy. Can't believe how much story and character arc they put in what must be one of the most boring superheroes. I think when all is said and done, this Marvel period will be a tent pole of cinema. I'm not into most of it, but all that highlights to me is that I'm not 10 years old. If I was, I would be constantly going apeshit. (Now this just happens at Christmas)

Latest posts

Top Bottom