Today on Facebook...

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
I use FB and forums and have been collecting for almost 40 years . I agree that people are mixing up Star Wars collecting and how much something is .

A lot of newbies isn't always good for the hobby , people saying what do u think this is worth , I have £1000 to invest , etc etc

I collect for the love of the hobby and have been shot down a few times on FB by so called experts , because I didn't know what something sold a week ago !!!

Experience is knowledge of the hobby not accounting

ODB

Jedi Master
Mr-shifter said:
One of my biggest gripes with facebook as a whole, a lot of people who use it can't be bothered to do any reading or research about any of the hobby beyond the thrill of buying and selling. This is why a lot of the time people have no idea of what they have, what it's worth and how rare it really is. Sometimes the level of ignorance is mind blowing.

And therein lies the crux of the whole issue. Facebook isn't to blame as such it just enables this terrible trend of blagging and buying at a real pace. People will often go out and find the best price on things such as groceries and petrol and on other luxury purchases but Star Wars people are just about getting it now. Is it any wonder that they will get ripped off. Its also not helpful that instead of listening to the established collectors/community and taking on board advice and knowledge you get shouted down and told to see the changing wind.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
yoda said:
Sometimes I think I am missing on something not joining these groups!

Yea, loads of overpriced beaters. Hardly anything decent ever sells on echobase as the buyers on there are generally unwilling to go above £100-200 for single items. It's a different game, mainly entry level collectors with a lack of knowledge and a need to be 'looked after' by overbearing admins. Hence the warm fuzzy feeling of 'community' this engenders.

indianawars

Sith Lord
We're toy collectors.
Why do we collect toys? To connect once again with the happy memories we had as children... And if that isn't the reason you have a room full of toys, then you should find some else to fill that void in your life.
If it's about the price tag that makes you feel like a big shot, then you need to take a long hard look at your life... I don't need approval, I don't need to show off and I certainly don't need to spend a fortune to keep up with anyone else.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
indianawars said:
We're toy collectors.
Why do we collect toys? To connect once again with the happy memories we had as children... And if that isn't the reason you have a room full of toys, then you should find some else to fill that void in your life.
If it's about the price tag that makes you feel like a big shot, then you need to take a long hard look at your life... I don't need approval, I don't need to show off and I certainly don't need to spend a fortune to keep up with anyone else.

This right here sums it up. This has nothing to do with Facebook or forums. Arrogance and bragging "With price" in mind has always been an issue. It is nothing new. It has however become more prevalent, in my opinion, since FB groups appeared, and I think it is because there is a lot of "Limelights" versus actual collecting talk and banter (BTW Echo is great for banter..that's why I am a member). Its sometimes is more of a dick measuring competition as to "What you paid", but some, not all of them (75% by my estimation), don't realize the guys who sold them common stuff at an over the top price are laughing at them and not giving them a thumbs up in admiration. I run one Facebook group and help admin another, so I know it's a tuff job for some of the guys keeping it civil in those groups.

I will also add that I do not see as much of this in the "UK based groups"...not to bash my American counterparts. :wink:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
"Amazing price!" :eek:

xwing.jpg

I gave an X-Wing shell away for free recently. I wish people would realise saying things like "amazing price" on piles of crap or posting desperate wanted ads for common as muck figures is what's driving prices up.

ODB

Jedi Master
Something about a fool and his money? There was also someone offering a shell of a snowspeeder for £10 as well.

They are all probably vehicles that have been stripped too, the facebook lot appear to fall for every new collector mistake.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm not so much bashing the seller for the price, after all he can ask what he wants and we get high prices on here sometimes. But somebody posted "amazing price" in the comments and then two minutes later some poor sod bought it. That's the problem, egging each other on to over-pay for crap. It simply doesn't happen on forums or eBay.

ODB

Jedi Master
Like I say a fool and his money. I don't know if facebook merely shows what has always happened or if it is attracting idiots but you see people time and time again falling for the same basic mistakes. It makes you wonder if they are doing this with Star Wars what else are they being ripped off in everyday items.

plantainman

Jedi Master
You think that's bad?

There's some bloke on fb.Yav selling beater ships and parts. If you bought all his Y-Wing bomber parts listed it would cost you £72, and you would still be 6 struts plus several other parts short of having one complete vehicle.

I'm lost for words.

Latest posts

Top Bottom