Today on Facebook...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'd rather not name the group or person, but lejackal has got it.

maxf

Jedi Master
Thats a joke. Talk about price fixing. I will sometimes sell stuff for less than I could get - thats my choice and I do it as I'd want the stuff sold that day, not hanging around for days on end.

I left that group ages ago anyway = Yavin4 is way better IMO.

MarkG

Jedi Master
poncho said:
:eek: £15 for a wicket spear!!!!!

Sold in minutes

im speechless

Fools and the money i say

Feck me...

So by the looks of it we can now thank a certain FB group for hiking the prices up beyond crazy nowadays... EBay is starting to look cheap again!

Oh.. and where the hell have all these 'experts' come from ? They are certainly not names I recognise from the pre FB days on various forums.

banton989uk

Padawan
Its a crying shame that the busiest post on here in a long time exists only to bash the FB groups.

Pricing advice works both ways on Echo and members are free to chip in if they think something is too high or low. Some prices have actually come down a bit recently too.

It's about time a few of you on here got off your high horses and started sniffing the winds of change.

At Echo live last Saturday there were people from here and all the FB groups and everybody got on great. Most of you (including Ed) are hypocrits and happily buy and sell on Echo.

I'm all for peace and harmony across the groups but I'm sorry your sanctimonious bullshit has just gotten too much. Trying to blame Echo for single handedly raising prices? Pull your heads out of your arses lol.

Rant over!

Alanaman

Youngling
How is £10 not underpriced for a b wing pilot complete with original weapon. The last few on ebay have sold for over £20. The weapon itself is worth at least a tenner. Please explain.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Hi Adam.

I'm going to step in here and make a couple of points.

The issue around prices, it is a problem across the hobby and people don't like it. Stuff is becoming more expensive and it's not good. It's a general moan most people have.

However the origional point that Ed was making was not regarding the fact that prices are high, we all know that, but it was the heavy handed nature in which the issue in question was dealt with. A free market is just that, but by price fixing you are contributing to bloating a market.

Let me follow that up a bit of logic and reasoning. Wing pilots have gone up in price. The reason is demand is there. People need them. Once demand has gone, b wing pilots come back down in price. By holding the price of b wing pilots at the old rate, you are artificially bloating the market.

One of my biggest gripes with facebook as a whole, a lot of people who use it can't be bothered to do any reading or research about any of the hobby beyond the thrill of buying and selling. This is why a lot of the time people have no idea of what they have, what it's worth and how rare it really is. Sometimes the level of ignorance is mind blowing.

maxf

Jedi Master
Alanaman said:
How is £10 not underpriced for a b wing pilot complete with original weapon. The last few on ebay have sold for over £20. The weapon itself is worth at least a tenner. Please explain.

Why does everything have to be sold at 'market price'? If I want to sell a car I make sure it's the cheapest on pistonheads for what it is - unless there is a very good reason not to. I'm just not interested in making an extra few quid and dealing with multiple tyre kickers - same goes for SW stuff.

It just seems like a load of people are invested in prices staying high or getting higher - now that might give people a warm fuzzy feeling (ooh, I've got £50k or moc figures), but it's so short term it's crazy - most normal people get knocked out of the game. It's the same as house prices - people love feeling like they're super clever having £xxxk of house , but that soon fades when they want to buy another.

maxf

Jedi Master
banton989uk said:
Its a crying shame that the busiest post on here in a long time exists only to bash the FB groups.

Aside from the thread showing off our latest buys, the one with the competition for the disabled girl, the one with people posting their top 5 items, the one with the secret santa wishlists...

Facebook is increasingly poor IMO - I've come off loads of groups lately and my life is no worse for it. Poor user platform, Massive cross posting sales threads, crazy prices and now minimum values items can sell for... it's less and less for me.

Lets be honest - the facebook groups are mainly (I know there are exceptions) a buying/selling platform now - this isn't all SW collecting is about.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
So, trying to change the subject a little from pricing and this turning tribal as it appears some folk think the forums are having a go at only their group(s)... not today (and nothing to do with Echo either), but this thread kinda says a whole lot to me about Facebook to me and why it can irritate people:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sta...roup_comment_follow&notif_id=1477238640741004

Guy makes a joke on one of (IMO) the best groups on Facebook, about dumpster diving a very well documented find that was covered by at least two different podcasts and discussed on forums (and Facebook too), yet all the 'experts' miss the joke and make themselves look a little silly..

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well I tried to make the point without naming groups or people, but as you have no problem calling me out in public...

banton989uk said:
Most of you (including Ed) are hypocrits and happily buy and sell on Echo.

The fact I'm a member of the group doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion on it. After all are you not on my forum defending your Facebook group? It doesn't make either of us hypocrites. You could all take a leaf out of this forum's book and listen to your members occasionally.

banton989uk said:

There are seven other threads on this page alone with more posts than this one.

banton989uk said:
It's about time a few of you on here got off your high horses and started sniffing the winds of change.

You can keep saying drivel like this as much as you like, it doesn't mean it's true. This forum is busier than it's ever been (I have stats to prove it) and whether you like it or not, Echo is not the centre of the collecting universe. If you can't take feedback, you probably shouldn't be running a group.

banton989uk

Padawan
Mr-shifter said:
Hi Adam.

I'm going to step in here and make a couple of points.

The issue around prices, it is a problem across the hobby and people don't like it. Stuff is becoming more expensive and it's not good. It's a general moan most people have.

However the origional point that Ed was making was not regarding the fact that prices are high, we all know that, but it was the heavy handed nature in which the issue in question was dealt with. A free market is just that, but by price fixing you are contributing to bloating a market.

Let me follow that up a bit of logic and reasoning. Wing pilots have gone up in price. The reason is demand is there. People need them. Once demand has gone, b wing pilots come back down in price. By holding the price of b wing pilots at the old rate, you are artificially bloating the market.

One of my biggest gripes with facebook as a whole, a lot of people who use it can't be bothered to do any reading or research about any of the hobby beyond the thrill of buying and selling. This is why a lot of the time people have no idea of what they have, what it's worth and how rare it really is. Sometimes the level of ignorance is mind blowing.

Thankyou for a good reply, let me try and explain a bit better.

I know its a general moan, but we always get singled out on here.

As you know we have a lot of new collectors on the group, as do most of the FB groups, as that seems to be how people are finding the hobby now. We have done a price guide (like the one you did on here) to try and help new people with pricing. We have people that undervalue there stuff and we try to stop them being taken advantage of. We dont fix prices, nobody has to sell for a price they dont agree with.

Demand does indeed dictate prices, would you say demand was going down, or looks to be going down any time soon? I dont think it is at all.

Theres a lot of knowledge on the forums, here especially, wouldnt it be great if you came out your little corner of the internet and came and helped educate the new people embracing the hobby?

It makes me sad that theres such a divide developing.

banton989uk

Padawan
Edd, your efforts to not name groups wasnt very subtle at all.

We do listen to our members, it's why we hold poll's on things so everyone can have there say.

I've never once claimed that anywhere was the centre of the collecting world and I've never felt the need to bash Swfuk or any of the members on it.

Weve supported you whenever we can, with your T shirt and mug sales for charity etc.

Criticism is great when its constructive

Latest posts

Top Bottom