The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Agreed on both there Edd. Utd really have ****ed this up. Coming 6th in a four horse race for the title. They should have been guaranteed a CL spot weeks ago, but are 90% on for a EL spot instead.

Cup final later should be….stressful. I'd take a 4-0 beating now if it means Pool win CL.
Fabinho is a huge loss. What odds Kante and Kovacevic are both fit?Chelsea out for revenge and in better form, versus a Pool side who have been grinding out results against lesser teams than Chelsea and who have one eye on the CL final. I only see one winner.

Hopefully City spank WH on Sunday (sorry hammers fans) that way the title is done, barring a 10+ goal swing which won't happen, and Jurgen can play the kids and Origi against Saints and give the first team a rest for the CL final.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Always nice to win the FA Cup, but the extra time and injuries might take the shine off it for Liverpool

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Such a close game- Chelsea must be absolutely gutted to lose on pens again.

We should've really beaten Man City today. I know the stats point to them being crazy dominant, but we could/should have scored 3 in the second half and they scored with a deflection and an own goal. Good result, all the same. Now need to beat Brighton (which we never do) and Man Utd to draw or lose to Palace to get the last Europa spot.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah City were pretty terrible in the first half so you were unlucky there, although they did miss a penalty so you shouldn't feel too hard done by with a point.

Everton, what a joke! Finished the game with 9 men and Rondon was sent off after only being on for 2 minutes. They really do deserve to go down, just useless.

The Spurs game was exactly what I expected, was bound to be a bit flat after Thursday's game. Very happy with a scrappy win.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I saw chunks of the WH game. They did well. They are a horrible team to play against. Antonio and Bowen both missed good chances. On another day they could easily have won. Saying that, as Edd pointed out, City did miss a pen. Still, you'd have taken a point at the start I suspect.

I only saw a bit of the Spurs game and havent seen the pen but the commentator described it as (something along the lines of) 'one of those that is a pen by the laws as they stand, but that most football fans aren't mad keen on seeing them being given.' The one picture I have seen, Barnes' hand is out, but does he know anything about it, could he react? I haven't seen it so genuine questions.
Puts the pressure right back on Arsenal. Given neither side is famed for coping well under pressure, it's gonna be interesting.

Nice to win the FAC yesterday, especially to beat that hateful shower, but the main goal is the CL. I'd have taken a 5-0 beating yesterday in return for a CL win.
Sounds like initial thoughts are Salah and VVD will both be fit for the final. THANK ****. Salah has been pish since AFCON, I think he has scored in something like 2 of his last 17 games, but he is always capable of that moment of brilliance. Plus he will have a point to prove against Real. I just hope he doesnt go full greedy bastard and not pass to anyone as he tries to do it all himself. Saying that, Pool can cope without him easier than they can VVD. I rate Matip very very highly, and Konate has looked solid so far (watch both get sent off whilst shipping pens now) but it's VVD range of passing, particularly the long passes they don't have.
With Fabinho already out until the final, Pool could do without any more injuries.

The team for Tues night could be interesting. I would be amazed if Salah or VVD start. Fabinho is obv not playing. Henderson, Thiago, TAA and Mane played 120 mins yesterday (not worried about Allison and Konate has played mainly cup games) so surely those four get a rest. That leaves, Matip, Konate, Gomes, Tsimikas/Robertson, Milner and Keita plus one from Jones/Elliott/Ox, and probably Jota, and 2 from Firmino, Diaz, and Origi.
Given City's last game is at home to Villa, if I was Klopp I would be wrapping boys up in cotton wool now. If you can't beat Villa at home with City's squad and the title on the line, you don't deserve to call yourself a professional footballer.

And, yes, Everton are ****. Fat frank is a wanker and I hope they go down. That Atletico impersonation they tried at Anfield was enough for me to go from ambivalence towards them, to utter contempt.
Given the money they have wasted over so many yrs, it will be funny to watch them get shafted by FFP if they go down too.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Everton, what a joke! Finished the game with 9 men and Rondon was sent off after only being on for 2 minutes. They really do deserve to go down, just useless.
I did laugh at Fat Frank giving Rondon a pat on the back as he walked off.
Cos obviously that's what Frank wanted him to do. Go on and get sent off inside 2 mins when they were a goal down, a man down, and up **** creek in a relegation fight.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I only saw a bit of the Spurs game and havent seen the pen but the commentator described it as (something along the lines of) 'one of those that is a pen by the laws as they stand, but that most football fans aren't mad keen on seeing them being given.' The one picture I have seen, Barnes' hand is out, but does he know anything about it, could he react? I haven't seen it so genuine questions.
Yeah it was a bit like the one Spurs conceded in the CL final. It's a handball according to the rules, because he's holding his arm out. But it wasn't a deliberate handball.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I had half typed something about the CL final but deleted it as I didn't think you'd want the reminder.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Surely even Spurs can't **** this up now!?
Not even they could lose at home to Norwich!

Even if they do, I'd put money on Arsenal losing to Everton. Probably after leading for 80 mins and shipping 2 injury time goals.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Surely even Spurs can't **** this up now!?
Not even they could lose at home to Norwich!

Even if they do, I'd put money on Arsenal losing to Everton. Probably after leading for 80 mins and shipping 2 injury time goals.

It's an away game, but you're right it would be quite the miracle for Arsenal - like exactly what happened on the last day against Newcastle in 2016! :rolleyes: So I'm not assuming anything until it's all over, I would happily lose to Norwich if Arsenal draw with Everton! 😓

CL is so important to Spurs for several reasons, not least keeping Kane, Son and Conte. Obviously every team wants CL so they can attract top players, but we already have some that we need to keep.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Spurs should walk it. We beat Norwich 4-0 away a couple of weeks ago, without breaking a sweat. Really can't see them cocking this up...

lejackal

Grand Master
Spurs should walk it. We beat Norwich 4-0 away a couple of weeks ago, without breaking a sweat. Really can't see them cocking this up...
5-1 to Newcastle a few years ago gives me hope, they've got form for this type of thing 😂

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Bloody hell are Everton trying to get relegated? If Burnley can win just one of their games there's a real chance of it happening!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I spoke too soon, fair play Everton that was some turnaround! So it's either Leeds or Burnley going down...

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Gutted, at 2-0 I was all set to watch the mini Atletico go down. Then Palace bent over and Villa equalised. Everton-safe 🤬

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
La Liga calling Mbappe's decision to stay at PSG for more money scandalous :ROFLMAO: this is coming from the league with teams that have spent so much money to achieve success, they are now practically bankrupt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom