The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Missed the game but sounds like West Ham imploded last night too, so frustrating when you have a great opportunity and then a moment of madness kills off the game early (eg penalty in the first minute in a CL final!)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Absolutely gutted. Poor, poor error from Cresswell. However, like Man City, it's the play over the two legs that has cost us. We should've won the first leg, plain and simple. Don't think Frankfurt are all that, to be honest, which makes it even more frustrating. We have done really well though and beaten some top teams this season. Come on Rangers!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I saw bits of the WH game and from what I saw the sending off (which was soft but probably right, he was last man and yer man was clear in on goal, so....) killed WH. They just seemed to lose all hope after that.

I think the damage was done in the first leg, that goal after 1 minute was a big blow. It was a shame not to see them go on and win it. I would have liked to see them win it. You just hope this isn't a sliding doors moment and Rice leaves in the summer and they revert to midtable obscurity, or worse.

Also, David Moyes, kicking the ball at the ****ing ball girl! And it was a girl, or the "boy" had very long hair and rather feminine body language. I hope UEFA throw the book at him for that. Regardless of it being a boy or a girl, you can't kick a ball at a ****ing child!

Ohh and Leicester, full marks for the dampest of squibs.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
One win from five now for Chelsea, PLEASE can Arsenal or Spurs finish above them, that would make my season!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Good game between Liverpool and Spurs. Will take a point all day long, although it doesn't help either team much. Liverpool were the better side, but (for once) we defended well and arguably should have won it, Hojberg was so close to a winner in the last minute.

The good news is that due to United's recent form we can now finish no lower than fifth and are guaranteed Europa League at least. Not bad considering the state we were in a few months ago. Fourth would be nice, but seemed impossible recently so it's good to even be in the running.

And next up, my second least favourite fixture of the season! (Second only to Arsenal away 😂)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Conte deserves full credit for Spurs turn around, they should be fighting to keep him. If they swap him for Poch I would not be happy as a Spurs fan.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Haaland to City confirmed. So can anyone explain why if he was 'only' 51m euros every club wasn't trying to snap him up!? I mean he's 30m less than Harry Maguire :ROFLMAO: and 100m less than Kane!

lejackal

Grand Master
Haaland to City confirmed. So can anyone explain why if he was 'only' 51m euros every club wasn't trying to snap him up!? I mean he's 30m less than Harry Maguire :ROFLMAO: and 100m less than Kane!
The release clause was cheap but you can nearly double that once you've paid the agent, the dad, the dog and f*ck knows who else. Not to mention the signing on fee and the 400k a week 😂

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Good game between Liverpool and Spurs. Will take a point all day long, although it doesn't help either team much. Liverpool were the better side, but (for once) we defended well and arguably should have won it, Hojberg was so close to a winner in the last minute.

Yeah fairs ****s to Spurs they did defend well. Rather un-spurs like that. A draw was probably a fair result, but it ends Liverpool's slight title chances. Then again, I haven't expected City to drop any points anyway, so it only brings forward the day when they win the title.
I did get very pissed off with the Spurs play acting. In the last 20 mins I'm not sure a single Spurs player managed to go in to a tackle and not come out with an injury that required him to lie down for at least 30 seconds. Hjoberg even headed it clear then realised he could fall over holding his head and the ref was bound to stop the game. I get why they did it, and I know a lot of clubs do it, but it just reminded me of Atleti and Everton and it's not something I like to see. I'm afraid, after Spurs antics, I'll be cheering for the red half of North London on Thurs night (and I probably just guaranteed a 6-0 spurs win).

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Your luck is in tonight @edd_jedi

I've only seen bits of highlights on Twitter but that pen looked very VERY soft and the red card was the same. The second yellow looked soft. A foul but no more. Very harsh to give him a second yellow for it. I know that shouldn't matter but often you see players get a bit more leeway in a situation like that. I didnt see his first foul, so if it was a bit of a stinker then, fair enough to send him off.

Still, two things have gone Spurs way.

lejackal

Grand Master
Your luck is in tonight @edd_jedi

I've only seen bits of highlights on Twitter but that pen looked very VERY soft and the red card was the same. The second yellow looked soft. A foul but no more. Very harsh to give him a second yellow for it. I know that shouldn't matter but often you see players get a bit more leeway in a situation like that. I didnt see his first foul, so if it was a bit of a stinker then, fair enough to send him off.

Still, two things have gone Spurs way.
On the Holding red…..
2329DD3C-3119-4E02-9FD6-A8082CDCC4A2.jpeg

It was a petulant challenge and he was clearly on a mission, the bloody idiot. The second he got the yellow he should've been Holding the choirboy

lejackal

Grand Master
The penalty felt very harsh and if the teams were reversed and it was waved away I don't think i would've batted an eyelid. I'm assuming the VAR decision was based on it not being a clear and obvious error from the ref rather than it being assault

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yep things went our way tonight, apart from Romero not being fit, I was convinced we were going to lose as soon as I saw Sanchez starting. But Arsenal only had to play against ten men at Leeds last weekend, and got six points from Chelsea and United, so it's not like lady luck hasn't been on their side for the last few weeks. I think the decisions were all fair enough, soft possibly but they definitely weren't mistakes, Holding only has himself to blame.

I still think Arsenal will pip us to fourth because that ship sailed when we lost to Burnley/Brighton/all the other **** teams we should have beaten. But even if we do finish fifth now I'll be happy after tonight's performance, considering we've had 2 new managers since last season finishing minimum fifth is a bloody miracle, and I read that since Conte took over we are third after City and Liverpool on points so that's a real positive to take into next season.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Spurs won because they have the better coach, easy to say now! Going down to the wire this one, both coaches have done really well to get where they are. Be interesting to see how far Arteta can take Arsenal next season.

Last edited:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Going down to the wire this on, both coaches have done really well to get where they are. Be interesting to see hove far Arteta can take Arsenal next season.
I agree considering not only his relative lack of experience, but also the amount of average players they have (and that's not a dig, I know we have plenty too!) It's quite frankly ludicrous that Arsenal are doing better than United when you compare the squads.

I've always been vocal critics of these 'player managers' like Lampard and OGS, but Arteta is bucking the trend so far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom