The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Now even for a neutral this has got to be a joke surely, Arteta has won manager of the month. As I said before, he's had one good result this season, beating Spurs. The other 2 wins that apparently contributed to the award were his 1-0 victories against Norwich and Burnley, two teams so bad they couldn't even score against each other last weekend. What about Graham Potter keeping Brighton in the top six? Or Tuchel for being top of the table and also winning 3 of his last 4 games? Bizarre.

lejackal

Grand Master
Now even for a neutral this has got to be a joke surely, Arteta has won manager of the month. As I said before, he's had one good result this season, beating Spurs. The other 2 wins that apparently contributed to the award were his 1-0 victories against Norwich and Burnley, two teams so bad they couldn't even score against each other last weekend. What about Graham Potter keeping Brighton in the top six? Or Tuchel for being top of the table and also winning 3 of his last 4 games? Bizarre.
Did any other team win all their league matches in September?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well no, but again he beat Norwich and Burnley by one goal each, he would have been sacked if he'd lost those two matches. Chelsea lost to City but beat Spurs and Villa. Brighton beat Leicester and Brentford and drew with Palace, that's way more impressive IMO. I genuinely don't see how you can give the manager who is 11th in the table and the 15th worst goal difference manager of the month. He's just about scraped Arsenal back to where they should be, wheras there are several other teams punching way above their weight and therefore more worthy winners.

lejackal

Grand Master
If Norwich had lost their opening three games, then won the following three and Farke got MotM would there still be a debate? Or is it just because it's Arteta?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I just think manager of the month should go to the manager who exceeds expectations. For your Norwich comparison, they are the worst team in the PL so yes pretty much any three victories for Norwich are great results. What this awards says is that Arsenal are now so bad that beating the two worst teams in the league is an achievement. It's not just because it was Arsenal, I would think it equally ridiculous if Pep won it for beating Newcastle, Southampton and Leeds.

Nuno beat City and was top of the table, that exceeded expectations. Brighton are sixth when they're usually hovering above the relegation zone. Arsenal are still three or four places below where they should be, and he was without doubt the worst manager of the month the previous month being rock bottom. For what it's worth I would probably give Nuno worst manager of the month for September, I just think there were more worthy winners based on performances and results. I would happily agree that Arteta deserved victory of the month for the win over Spurs, but that prize doesn't exist.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, although this will probably turn into "he squeezed my bum" (not that it justifies it or makes it acceptable) rather than the Everton ice man
I hope you're right. I would much rather find out it's some bird trying to get her 5 mins of fame, than ANOTHER footballer being a sex pest.
Again, not that grabbing a woman's arse randomly is acceptable in this day and age, but it's a dam sight more palatable than the alternative.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
If anyone doesn't believe luck plays a massive part in football, watch the Brentford Chelsea game yesterday. How on earth Chelsea won that match is beyond me, Brentford were absolutely robbed. They are looking a really good team at the moment, while watching yesterday's game I just kept thinking how much better than Spurs they are.
Looks like Ole is on thin ice now, although speaking of luck another typical Vardy goal, slices it and flies in the top corner. If Kane hit that it goes out the stadium.
And definitely a contender for goal of the season from Salah yesterday, that was Maradonna-esque.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well that was almost a decent performance from Spurs - Newcastle and their fans were obviously buzzing from their lottery win so I wasn't surprised to see them take the lead after 2 minutes, but rather than implode Spurs turned it around and had total control of the game for the next 85 minutes. Until... Eric Dier scored a header in his own net! I wonder how many results would come back if you did a search for my username and 'Eric Dier' on this forum, I'm sure it would be hundreds. Just give it up, you're not PL standard, join the coaching staff or something.
And hopefully whoever had a heart attack in the crowd just before half time pulls through, scary stuff.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
If anyone doesn't believe luck plays a massive part in football, watch the Brentford Chelsea game yesterday. How on earth Chelsea won that match is beyond me, Brentford were absolutely robbed. They are looking a really good team at the moment, while watching yesterday's game I just kept thinking how much better than Spurs they are.
Looks like Ole is on thin ice now, although speaking of luck another typical Vardy goal, slices it and flies in the top corner. If Kane hit that it goes out the stadium.
And definitely a contender for goal of the season from Salah yesterday, that was Maradonna-esque.

Yeah, Brentford are a good side, playing very good/brave football and it's working for them atm. Long may it continue. That was a superb 3pts for Chelsea. Their keeper got MOTM, which says it all. But from what I saw of the game, he made a lot of "good" saves but nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe it was the combination of the saves, who knows. Pool have already dropped points there so Chelsea are one up on them. Brentford will cause a lot of teams problems as long as they can keep it up.

As for OGS, as some said, possible on here, he is safe until the CL is mathematically out of reach, The B.O.D don't care about results as long the CL money keeps coming in. Although it's good to see even his most one eyed supporters are finally beginning to realise that he isn't good enough and has no clue WTF he is doing, beyond picking his best 11 and hoping.

Well that was almost a decent performance from Spurs - Newcastle and their fans were obviously buzzing from their lottery win so I wasn't surprised to see them take the lead after 2 minutes, but rather than implode Spurs turned it around and had total control of the game for the next 85 minutes. Until... Eric Dier scored a header in his own net! I wonder how many results would come back if you did a search for my username and 'Eric Dier' on this forum, I'm sure it would be hundreds. Just give it up, you're not PL standard, join the coaching staff or something.
And hopefully whoever had a heart attack in the crowd just before half time pulls through, scary stuff.

My first reaction when I saw that goal was "@edd_jedi is gonna love that!"
WHAT THE **** was he doing trying to head a ball a knee height!? Hoof it into row Z.

Now for a god awful trip to Madrid for Pool on Tues nite. To play the world's worst side to watch. 90 mins of diving, play acting, dirty late tackles, time wasting and general ****-house-ary. That only gets worse if they take the lead.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Bloody good game between Atletico and Liverpool last night, looked like both sides could nick it at several points. I thought the red card was harsh but can't really argue with it, although it's hard to say it was dangerous when he didn't know the guy was there, surely any header or overhead kick etc is dangerous if somebody is next to the ball! And I was very pleased that Suarez didn't get his penalty :)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Bloody good game between Atletico and Liverpool last night, looked like both sides could nick it at several points. I thought the red card was harsh but can't really argue with it, although it's hard to say it was dangerous when he didn't know the guy was there, surely any header or overhead kick etc is dangerous if somebody is next to the ball! And I was very pleased that Suarez didn't get his penalty :)

Yup, some game. Must have been brilliant for the neutral. I hated every second of it. I don't enjoy games against Atleti (or Utd TBH) I endure them.
Unless Pool are 3/4 up and cruising, obv.

Not sure where to start. Brilliant first 20 mins by Pool, who then totally switched off and let Atleti back in. Keita piss poor defending for the first, beaten far far to easily out side the box. I also thought they were lucky that goal stood, Lemar is right in Matip's line of sight. Granted he may not have reacted in time to clear it, but Lemar is still there and impeding him. The fact Lemar is offside means surely he is interfering with play and it shouldn't have stood? Jeoleon (spelling) Lescott pretty much said the same. The fact BT's resident ref thought it was fine to stand backs up my point. Peter whatever he is called is wrong more often than he's right.
Big Virg was rusty as hell for that second goal as well. But he is coming back from a serious injury and has a tiny bit of credit in the bank.

I agree on the red card for the greasyfella (no mission of me spelling that name). It is harsh, there is no intent, he has no ides Firmino is that close, BUT it is a boot to the head, and the law says that is a red. Mane got one the same away to City a few years ago and I was raging about that because you never see them given as red cards. Nine times out of ten it's a yellow. Indeed, that was the first other red I can think of, which sums up my frustration with it. I do feel sorry for Greasyfella, but them's the rules, and Pool have been shafted by that exact rule before.

No arguments on Pool's penalty, that was a pen all day long. Atleti's one was soft as ****. Yes, there is contact, but as I have said before, it's a contact sport, you are allowed to touch members of the other team with out it being a foul. The hint is in the name 'contact sport'. Saying that, I have seen them given, especially in Europe, and I was amazed when yer man over turned it. Fair play. The theatrical dive may have counted against yer Atleti boy, or maybe the Ref just realised the contact was minimal. Either way, nice to see Pool get a VAR decision. I was sounding like a broken record last year harping on about how many times VAR went against them.

A draw may well have been a fair result, both teams were brilliant and shite at various points in the game, but I'll happily take 3 points to slap it right up Simeone and his hateful club.

I freely admit to not liking Atleti and their style of play and last night did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to change that. They are quite happy to fly into full blooded tackles and if a free is given against them they look utterly dumb founded, yet the second anyone even touches them they dive and scream while their team mates and Simeone hound the ref and demand a card. The booking for Milner summed them up. He is using his body to try and shield the ball, his arm is out at chest height, in a totally natural position, Trippier RUNS INTO HIM, grabs his face (Milner's arm hit Trippier's chest), screams like a bitch, rolls about the ground, and every Atelti player within 20 yards descends on the ref to demand a red card for an elbow. Simeone and his bench, who were 5 yards away also go buck daft. The fact the camera even showed Trippier jumping up after Milner was booked and looking at Milner and laughing/smiling/winking says it all. Needless to say the media won't mention it as Trippier is English. Had he been a dirty foreigner he would have been, rightly, slatted for it.
Not only that but Atleti play horrible horrible hoof ball. I saw someone describe them as an expensively assembled Burnley. It's hard to argue with that. Burnley at least have the excuse of a shoestring budget (in relative PL terms).

There really is NOTHING to like about that club. The only 'positive' thing I can say is that Oblak is a great keeper. That's it.

I'm not looking forward to the return leg. They are just a horrible shower of cunts (swear checking may well pick that one up).
How anyone can watch a Tony Pulis side and think "Yeah, that's a promising idea, but what you need to do is add Jose Mourinho levels of shot-house-ary" I will never know. Truly a hateful horrible club.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I would take Simeone at Utd any time now, he's got a winning mentality that is seriously lacking right through Manchester United and has been for 8 years. His style of football has improved and it's better than anything I've seen Utd play over the past 8 years!!!!

This crap we keep getting fed from the owners and board that Man Utd play attacking exciting football could not be more of a lie than saying OGS is building a team and he needs time! Oh hold on they have said that as well!

Even pundits like Gary Neville and Paul Scholes are refusing to admit OGS needs sacking because he's there mate. Glaziers know exactly what they are doing with OGS in charge he will get more time than a LVG or Jose because of his ties to the club. It's called emotional blackmail. While doing so they are lowering the expectations of the club, shocking.

It's so bad at Man Utd now, some players are unhappy and Arsenal will be above us in a couple of weeks.

Liverpool are frightening, they look like they are in that grove again which saw them walk the league, can see them doing the CL and League double. Moh Sala probably the best player in the world right now and fast becoming Liverpool's best ever striker IMO. Klopp is arguably the best coach in the world as well, jammy Liverpool, suppose they had to get something right eventually. lol

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It will be interesting to see if Liverpool can keep Salah, probably not if he wants 400k a week. Mind you weren't United paying Sanchez 350k a week for not even playing, that makes Mo seem like a bargain :ROFLMAO:
I will never understand the mentality of modern footballers, there is no other word for it than greed. Earning 40k a week would make them richer than 90% of the population and set them up for life in a few years, what makes them think they deserve 10x that amount.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I would take Simeone at Utd any time
Pretty much anyone is an improvement in OGS though.

On that note, Steve Bruce is available. He's a Utd legend, has tonnes of experience………

It will be interesting to see if Liverpool can keep Salah, probably not if he wants 400k a week. Mind you weren't United paying Sanchez 350k a week for not even playing, that makes Mo seem like a bargain :ROFLMAO:
I will never understand the mentality of modern footballers, there is no other word for it than greed. Earning 40k a week would make them richer than 90% of the population and set them up for life in a few years, what makes them think they deserve 10x that amount.
I agree, but I dare say he will sign on for 300kpw ish. Still a ridiculous amount but then actors get stupid sums for a few weeks/months "work" on a film. And MP's gets £83k a year for seemingly all being incompetent morons

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Don't even say that, just imagine Steve Bruce is confirmed as 'interim' manager. Wouldn't surprise me if they gave him and OGS the shared manager job.

I agree @edd_jedi the money footballers earn are ridiculous. Just think though if Phill Jones is worth £80k a week, Moh Salah must be worth about £800k a week.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Utd doing a ehhh Utd last night.

Play poorly, go two down and then pull their arses out of the just in time.
Winning when playing badly is supposedly the sign of a good team, but when you have to do it every other week is it not a bit worrying?
Utd are the most Jackle and Hyde side I know, and they flit between both during the game.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
We have no tactics, Ole just throws what he thinks is the best 11 out on the pitch and tells them to keep it tight and hit them on the break I reckon. That starting 11 last night was the same as last season, just with Ronaldo instead of Cavani doing the graveyard shift. Oh and a £75 million creative winger on the bench. We have Ronaldo as a number 9 who is exceptional in the air, playing with two wide forewards that always cut inside and shoot, never cross the ball, never.

I know the Liverpool game is a derby and anything can happen, but I really can see Utd getting thrashed on Sunday, Liverpool know they don't need to worry about our midfield and our defence is really poor. If Man Utd try humping the ball over the top to Rashford, Van Dijk will bounce it of his chest and Liverpool go again. Salah against the fridge and freezer, my god!!!!!

That said think Verane may be back? lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom