The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
I just don't understand what Arteta hoped to achieve with the team selection today, it wasn't even our best available 11. We want rid of 60% of the back five.
Kolasinac has spent half the week trying to get his contract cancelled/paid up so he can join Fenerbache and he gets picked to start at City?!
We would have at least stood a fighters chance if we went at them. Yeah, we probably still would've lost but we would've had our dignity intact. Xhaka is so frustrating, has a half decent Euros, comes back after not getting a move away, gets an extension and goes in two footed like a twat, although in his defence he was left to hold the midfield on his own against that City team.
As a back 5 we should've gone:
Leno
AMN
Holding
Mari
Tierney
Saka
Lakonga
Pepe
Odegard
Aubamayang
ESR

Not perfect and hugely flawed/inexperienced but at least it would be brave

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah sad times for Arsenal, owners are pratts and that's about it.

Last edited:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Fully get what your saying Weasel, but For me I think the positives as a Utd fan will far outweigh the negatives when looked at in the cold light of day in regard to Ronaldo returning. The intangible effect lifting other players lifting the fans the effect it will have on youth players coming through, say what you will about him, he is a footballer committed to his trade, fitness and drive to achieve, that mindset in a team can only be a positive. I think he will definitely score goals, yes he plays a different game at 36, but we have Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford all with loads of pace, Bruno feeding as well, let's not forget Pogba in the team, will this signing take the limelight away and will that help or hinder him? Time will tell.
im speaking as a Utd fan, who loves the club and the history, bringing a legend back into your team is a massive buzz for any fan, not saying its a game changer and we will win the league ( maybe it will be) but his talent, goals and mindset will definitely take us progressively forward.
like I said I m a happy boy and we will see what the season brings, off to the club shop now to buy my grandson his Ronaldo shirt 😄 ( no 28?).

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
If Carlsberg did league tables (taking a snapshot of this while it lasts!)

Screenshot 2021-08-29 at 18.33.19.png

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm obviously very happy Spurs have won three out of three, and with City amongst them you can't say it's been a gimme, but I am a bit concerned that we've only scored one goal in each game (including a penalty!) None of the wins have been convincing and it doesn't fill me with confidence that this streak will continue, we could easily have conceded a goal in each of those games and have three points instead of 9. There's been no shortage of attempts, but just not taking enough of them.

Still for Spurs to keep three consecutive clean sheets is a big achievement and something I can't remember happening for a long time.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I had a funny feeling @edd_jedi would enjoy the current league table.
The question is, is the top or the bottom his favourite part!?

As for the weekend's games, from what I saw of City and Arsenal, it was very very comfortable for City. As @edd_jedi says, it is unfair to judge Arsenal on games against the current PL and CL holders, but they have been VERY second best in both. It doesnt look like Arteta knows how to set up shop when the game is gone. Look what Tuchel had Chelsea do in the second half at Anfield, once he realised that a man down they were daft to continue trying to go man for man. One of the City goals, possibly the 3rd, was school boy naive. Arsenal had 5 players in City's final third, ONE straight pass from Ederson took them all out of the game and from there on it was just a matter of would City take advantage or not.
The Pool Chelsea game has to go down as 2pts dropped for Pool. To have a big title rival down to ten men for 45mins and not take advantage, is the kind of thing that comes back to haunt you in May. Credit where it is due for Chelsea they did set up shop very well. The "low block" is bloody hard to break down when done well, and Chelsea did it very well.
I thought the red card was a bit harsh, it comes up off his thigh. Yes, it's handball, and a pen, but the red card just strikes me as double punishment. Fine if he dives and saves it like a keeper, but that was the kind of handball where only he really knows if it was intentional or not. It also killed the game from a neutral's point of view. Chelsea settled for a point from then.

I didn't see the Utd game but I hear they were poor. I haven't seen the Spuds game either, but 3 wins from 3 is not to be sniffed it. They did start well last year too though.

ps @theforceuk you know clubs make nothing from shirt sales right!? General merchandising driven by Ronaldo signing will increase, I have no idea if that will pay for him. Given his wages, I doubt it.
Your shirt maker gets the bulk of the money from shirt sales. The retailer gets a little, so any sales from the club shop etc will boost Utd's coffers, but 95% of the money goes to the shirt maker. Utd get a flat rate from them as per the contract. That won't change with the level of shirt sales, unless Utd or the shirt maker have a clause specifying that it does. I suspect most clubs prefer a flat fee as that allows them to budget better.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I had a funny feeling @edd_jedi would enjoy the current league table.
The question is, is the top or the bottom his favourite part!?

As for the weekend's games, from what I saw of City and Arsenal, it was very very comfortable for City. As @edd_jedi says, it is unfair to judge Arsenal on games against the current PL and CL holders, but they have been VERY second best in both. It doesnt look like Arteta knows how to set up shop when the game is gone. Look what Tuchel had Chelsea do in the second half at Anfield, once he realised that a man down they were daft to continue trying to go man for man. One of the City goals, possibly the 3rd, was school boy naive. Arsenal had 5 players in City's final third, ONE straight pass from Ederson took them all out of the game and from there on it was just a matter of would City take advantage or not.
The Pool Chelsea game has to go down as 2pts dropped for Pool. To have a big title rival down to ten men for 45mins and not take advantage, is the kind of thing that comes back to haunt you in May. Credit where it is due for Chelsea they did set up shop very well. The "low block" is bloody hard to break down when done well, and Chelsea did it very well.
I thought the red card was a bit harsh, it comes up off his thigh. Yes, it's handball, and a pen, but the red card just strikes me as double punishment. Fine if he dives and saves it like a keeper, but that was the kind of handball where only he really knows if it was intentional or not. It also killed the game from a neutral's point of view. Chelsea settled for a point from then.

I didn't see the Utd game but I hear they were poor. I haven't seen the Spuds game either, but 3 wins from 3 is not to be sniffed it. They did start well last year too though.

ps @theforceuk you know clubs make nothing from shirt sales right!? General merchandising driven by Ronaldo signing will increase, I have no idea if that will pay for him. Given his wages, I doubt it.
Your shirt maker gets the bulk of the money from shirt sales. The retailer gets a little, so any sales from the club shop etc will boost Utd's coffers, but 95% of the money goes to the shirt maker. Utd get a flat rate from them as per the contract. That won't change with the level of shirt sales, unless Utd or the shirt maker have a clause specifying that it does. I suspect most clubs prefer a flat fee as that allows them to budget better.
I don't know what shirt deal they have I do know the clubs value went up by 8% over night, adding $230 million to the cubs value. I'm no business man but signing Ronaldo is a no brainer for the Glaziers. Its also turned the supporters away from braking into Old Trafford and getting games posponed! lol This is what the Glaziers have done to Manchester United supporters, the fransfer window we have just had should be happening every couple of years as standard, but the Glaziers only do it when their in the dog house with supporters or sponsors.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
As an ABU I should really be enjoying what the Glazier's are doing to Utd, but I hate leeches.
Fair dos if they have bought Utd with their own money, but they didn't actually put a penny into the purchase (I think). It was done entirely using borrowed money secured against Utd's debts. Now, you run that risk once you list a company, and Utd certainly got the benefits of the stock market listing for the leeches came along. But I still don't like what they have fun. Even if it is funny to see Utd paying some Americans £200m a year for the privilege of being owned by them.....ehhh I mean, 'for their consultancy services'.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If I was a Liverpool or Man City fan I would be very relaxed as long as the Glaziers were the owners and they will be for some time. They are none football fans, let alone Man Utd fans that are only interested in taking dividends out of the club. They have no interest whatsoever of seeing Man Utd win the PL or CL, all they care about is Man Utd getting top 4. Since 2013, David Moyes was sacked as soon as we couldn't get top 4, LVG sacked after finishing 5th and winning the FA Cup and Jose sacked after finishing 2nd, not getting backed in the transfer window and was sacked in December the following season as it was clear he was never getting top 4. Their is no pressure or expectations from the owners to win something and OGS is the perfect buffer for their **** running of a football club that should have done so much more in the last decade.

I actually give them 5 out of 10 for the the last transfer window, Sancho was last summers signing that we didn't do, ok Verane was a minor miracle but knowone else went in for him and Ronaldo has come back because Fergie begged him to! Dan James being the only exit is a complete shambles. If anyone at the club new what they were doing Utd would have got a holding midfielder as priority number 1. Imagine, City, Liverpool or Chelsea going into a season without 1 single top DCM, just wouldn't happen. Utd's net spend is £80 million as usual, not enough to bridge the gap between us and the 3 best teams we need to finish above.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It was a pretty good transfer window for Spurs when you consider we went a couple without signing anyone recently. I'm never going to complain about signing lots of defenders, if just one of them turns out to be any good we'll be better off. Aurier going is probably for the best, I didn't dislike him personally and he was good up front but much like Walker he just made too many catastrophic mistakes for a right back (I still don't know how Walker has managed to avoid doing the same at City.)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Hard to judge Spurs' transfer window as I have no idea what any of the players they signed are like.

Like most things, the quality of a teams transfer window only becomes apparent 6-12months down the line.
Pool win the league and they were dead smart for not spending money they didnt need to. They finish miles off and it was cos they didn't sign anyone.

Weirdly all the big clubs have gaps in their squad, UTD need a DCM, City a Striker, Pool another back up for the front 3/4 (2 of whom are off to ACN), and Chelsea need a striker (Lukaku is good against shite, but shite against good) and I still don't know what to make of their keeper.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well today was one of those game where nothing goes your way, and everything goes the other teams way. Edouard scores with his first touch on his debut :ROFLMAO: and Zaha got away with one, yes Tanganga's foul on him was as synical as any other "professional foul" but I've seen Son get sent off several times for retaliating. The 3-0 result flatters Palace a bit as it was deadlock until the sending off, I thought Spurs were going to nick it with a bit of quality Palace were lacking.

Saying that, this result was coming. None of the previous three victories were convincing, and today's could have happened in any of those games too. The fact our goal difference is wiped to zero from losing just one game speaks volumes. Losing an away match with 10 men isn't a catastrophe, but Nuno needs to start scoring more goals urgently, as Spurs don't have the discipline of a team like Chelsea to lock down when on the back foot. Not looking forward to the next few games now, I would have bitten your arm off for 9 points from 4 games at the start of the season, but I don't see us picking up many more wins following the performances so far.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Genuinely Edd, I think that result yesterday is a write off for Spurs fan, and one to just walk away from, i really don't think it was an indication of Spurs being a bad team, just one of those football things that happens, I do think Son is a key player for you and that was an issue in the match.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Utd yesterday ….as a Utd Fan, I was absolutely over the moon when we snagged Ronaldo, not getting drawn into all the " we got one over on City" as that means sod all to me, what was important to me as a Utd fan was that we get Ronaldo back in the Red shirt, I genuinely think he will bring the extra we need ( yes we may be lacking in certain areas) but as I have said before it's not just about the ability to score goals, be where he needs to be etc etc, it's about the intangible benefit it brings to the team… his ethos, his mentality, what that will bring to the team and lift the other players.
his first goal yesterday shows the poacher striker instinct, run into the space on the off cahnace you get a bite, his second goal, the run he put in when Shaw picked up the ball … that was class …bang he was off… and the touch the n finish with the opposite foot…brilliant!
add to that Bruno s class finish i genuinely think that the Ronaldo signing is a game changer

I now wait to be battered with , one game wonder and all that, but I genuinely think the Ronnie signing will make the difference this season and we are serious contenders to win the league, my only regret is that I was not on the game yesterday, to be there in the Stretford end singing Viva Ronaldo!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I did have a few Utd supporting mates sending me gloating texts when they won on Sat.
It is only one game. Di Maria and Martial both started well and ehhh, well, yeah, they didn't end well. Plus Newcastle are dog ****.
But, yes, two goals for ballbag (I wonder will our silly swear word detector thing pick that one up!?) is a good start. Fair play.

I though yer Leeds boy was unlucky to be sent off yesterday. Not a "Good" tackle, but not a shocker either. We will see plenty worse not even result in bookings this season. I suspect the fact Elliott ended up being stretchered off and given oxygen may well have influenced the refs decision. A bit harsh. I dare say Leeds will appeal and it will be over turned. Which would be fair enough.
I only saw bits of the game, but my most one-eyed Utd supporting mate said the red card didn't affect the outcome only the scale.

A big 3pts for Arsenal as well in the relegation 6 pointer! ;-)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
The crowd at the Emirates were singing "we're staying up" 😂😂😂
Optimistic, on current form. ;-)

As for Utd in the CL, THAT is a perfect example of why they won't win the PL or the CL. Their manager is bang average. As are their DCM options, but this week it was OGS again showing why he is such a poor choice of manager for one of the self proclaimed 'biggest clubs in the world'.

Yes, bad/freak results do happen. And, he can't really legislate for 2 individual mistakes (AWB and JLinz) BUT his substitutions and how he set the team up were piss poor. Utd had two shots in the game. TWO. Not two on target, two shots. One was the goal. Granted they played 60mins with 10 men, but they were playing a Swiss side, not peak Barcelona. FFS Liverpool had 15 shots against AC Milan in 20 mins last night. That's seven defeats in eleven CL games for Utd under Ole. There are a few hard games in there, games you could reasonably expect to lose, but 7 defeats in 11 is shockingly poor.

I saw someone say that Utd's spending, I think they have spent more than any other club in world football during OGS time at the club, hasn't improved their chances of success as such, rather it has lifted the floor on how low they can finish. The heights to which they can climb are limited by the bang average manager they employ.
Hard to disagree with that.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes I'm afraid I agree, that game is a classic show of how the club is badly run and the people in charge haven't got a clue. And I'm fed up of OGS coming out after results like that with comments like 'fine margins', 'ups and downs', 'it's about progression'. Bollocks, 3 years he's been in charge now, spent over £400 million and has had a new player in every position. On Tuesday when we had 11 players on the pitch we were just as bad for the first 35 minutes, playing Stoke City 2010 style football!!! Ronaldo has had 4 shots on target in two games, the number 9 position this season has had 7 shots on target all season. I said it before the season started we need a decent DCM to controle games, get things moving quickly, whats the point in having one of the best players ever playing the number 9 position if you can't get the ball to him!

It's not just down to OGS, it's also the coaches that just aren't good enough, they can't be. Were playing worse football than Jose and LVG for periods of games. How can the fans be happy with the present situation, just because we've signed Ronaldo and we can all buy Ronaldo shirts singing his name in the sun at Old Trafford while beating Newcastle with individual brilliants rather that tactics and a clear playing style that the players can all get behind.

The worse thing for me is OGS didn't even ask for a DCM, so we can't blame the owners for not getting him one. That's worrying when the coach can't see something an armchair fan can point out instantly. He won't give Van De Beek a run of games either, he did well I thought for the first half, much better than Fred and he took Van De Beek off!!! Everyones saying McTominay will make the difference when he's fit. Bollocks again he's not a number 6 he's a number eight and an average one at that and he's nearly 25, so is he suddenly going to become a world class DCM over night, because that's what we need. OGS won't get sacked, he's no where near it, in fact he's further away from the sack than Man Utd are of winning the PL or CL. He's the perfect buffer for the Glaziers. Unbelievable Jeff!!! lol

Last edited:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, he is a "yes man" who won't rock the boat and knows he has been appointed to a job he would never have got on merit. No other top 6 PL side or top European side would even have considered him for the manager's job, but Utd employed him.

He said Rolando should have had a penalty in that game, and a red card for Young Boys. If it was the incident I saw ehhhh, that's not a penalty. The give away was the fact the defender didn't actually touch him and Ronaldo dived like a bitch. What it actually is, is a yellow card for simulation. It wasn't even close to being a penalty. Not even one of those that "you see them given". It just wasn't a penalty or even a foul.

His tactics are, 'get your best 11 on the pitch and let them do their thing'. A more cycnical version would be 'get your best 11 on the pitch and........hope'. It's bloody simplistic, and TBF it does work, unsurprisingly. But should a "top" manager not be capable of a little bit more?
There doesn't seem to be a style of play as such. Every one knows how Pool, City, Bayern, (pre bankruptcy) Barca and Real will play. But Utd are just a hodgepodge of players. Now, they do have some fantastic players, plenty of whom are more than capable of a moment of genius to win a game. But I just can't help feel that a decent manager would get so much more out of them as a team.
He would start by letting Van De Beek actually play a bit. He's not a DCM as such but he will do a much better job in there than Matic over the course of a season. Matic was a great player, but his legs are gone, and that is the one thing a DCM needs.
There's only so long OGS will get away with playing the same boys week in week out. Tiredness will catch up with them. As will injuries. Utd have been quite lucky over the last 2 years, most of their injuries have been minor or in positions where they have relative strength in depth. I'm not going to compare them, or anyone's, injuries to Pool's last year, but most clubs have a period during a season when they have 2/3/4 players injured/suspended and have to field a make shift back four/midfield/front line, Utd have escaped that (for the most part). If they get a couple of big injuries OGS could be in trouble.

Genuine question, IF Utd win nothing this season (and I don't count the worthless cup, FAC is arguable) will OGS keep his job?
I suspect the Board would be happy to keep him, but will the fans? He can't really have any excuses if he doesn't win anything. He has had time and a **** tonne of money.

Obviously, If they lose a CL final narrowly, or even a semi, and come close in PL (within half a dozen points) then that's different from a 1/8 final tame knock out in CL and finishing 18pts off PL top.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom