The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Aye, 15th/16th and 22nd/23rd. Second legs two weeks after. It's UEFA so they drag it all out. Heaven forbid all 8 ties should be played at the same time.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Complete shambles, UEFA should have got the F1 race director in to make the rules up on the spot.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
United's game is off tonight, with 40+ cases across the league I wonder if any more will be called off? surely it's only a matter of time now until closed doors again or even a full stop, the difference in games played is starting to get silly (Spurs will be three behind after tonight)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I hope you're wrong, but it doesn't look good.

The catching up of games is less of an issue for Spurs than Utd, as Spurs don't/most probably won't have European football in the new year. From memory their games are Burnley and Brighton. Neither of whom have European footy either, so midweeks are an option. Or a w/e set aside for an FAC game if Spurs get knocked out early. Utd have one game against Brentford who also don't have European footy so that can be fitted in relatively easily. The real problems come if more sides have games cancelled. The more games that need to be re-arranged the more complicated it gets.

To be honest, the only really fair solution now is to void the season, give Liverpool the title and relegated Man U.
I don't really see any down side to that scenario.

lejackal

Grand Master
Aubameyang stripped of the captaincy, maybe now we'll stop handing it to the perceived best player and or volatile twats and start making the best captain the captain.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Deservedly stipped of it too. Not his first, second or third misdemeanour. His track record of a questionable attitude runs right back to his Dortmund days.

Arsenal's problem is more the fact he is on 2/3/4 hundred kpw and who else is gonna pay that for a bloke who is 31(?). Outside of the English clubs probably only Real and PSG could pay that. Bayern dont pay silly wages and Juve are trying to reduce their wage bill. Ohh and you may have heard Barca have a few financial problems so they are out.
PSG definitley don't need another attacker snd Real will be after Haaland. I don't see any of England's big 6 wanting him, and the only other club who could afford him, Newcastle, aren't big enough for him and ehh are going down. So how did Arsenal get shot of him!?

He's been a bit of an Adebayor, brilliant when his contract was up for renewal, since he signed the new one he's been turd.

lejackal

Grand Master
Yeah, it feels like we replaced Ozil with Ozilamyang.

I really like him and for the moment st part he's been the best striker we've had for a long time but interestingly we've won a much higher % of games without him as we have with him.
He's too easy to mark out of the game as basically the plan for a good 18 months was limited to "give the ball to Auba"

No idea who we should go for or even who would come, never mind how to move him on

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes it's starting to get a bit annoying now, obviously having games in hand while only being a couple of points off top four isn't a terrible position to be in, but we all know what usually happens to Spurs when the pressure to win is on! At this rate Arsenal will be top of the league by Christmas if they can keep dodging the infected teams :ROFLMAO:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Bloody ridiculous how the PL has dropped all of last seasons protocols and players are dropping like fly's. Can someone explain to me how we went through all of last season without any games being postponed because of covid. But now that a huge portion of the population is vaccinated games are getting postponed all over the place. You have to wander what's going on. Some talk of a two week lock down of PL football over Christmas which is a stupid idea. All the players will be out at parties and will come back needing at least a weeks training before they play and their will probably be more players infected.

You have to have proof of being double jabbed to get into Old Trafford now, but the players don't, what's that all about?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Only 75% of football league players have had 1 or both jabs. So a quarter of them have nothing.

Pool played last night with VVD, Fabinho and (the injured) Curtis Jones all out with Covid. Chelsea had Lukaku, Werner (neither are a loss), Chilwell (who is injured) and Hudson-Odi all out with covid too. I wonder what the limit is, number wise, to get a game called off? Apparently both clubs could have asked for a postponement, but didn't. Whether they would have got one is a different matter.
There are going to be a lot of games to be fitted in, half this w/e's programme is now postponed.

On the one hand I wish the PL would just say "if you have 11 fit players, inc. a keeper, you play." But on the other it's hardly fair that, say, Norwich have to go to City/Pool with a team made up of kids and lose 10-0 and yet later in the season the same club turns up with it's full team and grinds out a draw, or loses narrowly. If the league is as close as it looks to be GD could well come in to decide league places. Teams playing with mass Covid absentees means that's hardly fair. At the same time mass postponements for 2/3/4 positive covid cases does seem a tad OTT.
Another factor to consider is the squad size/strength and the players who test positive. Obviously if it's all a club's keepers that's a different matter. But Pool without VVD and Fabinho are very different to Pool without the Bolton Baresi (Nat Phillips) and Taki Minamino. "Smaller" clubs have smaller/less strong squads, so by definition 2/3/4 first team players out for Burnley is a lot more of an issue than the same for one of the "big" sides. Unless it's Harry Maguire, in which case Utd are better off.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
The problem is if you have a covid positive test in the PL that person has self isolate for 10 days. BUT any player in the squad that is not vaccinated has to self isolate as well. Man Utd apparently have a large amount of the squad that is not vaccinated.

So there's 50 covid cases in the PL today, no way have Man Utd got 11 of those cases, which would still leave us with 14 players fit. Liverpool have a large number of squad members vaccinated.

If the PL gets shut down, it's basically saying footballers are better than everyone else, because I don't see any other major events getting shut down.

Also without going into the covid debate to much, this new variant is showing signs that it's much milder, even as much as 50% of infections showing no symptoms. There's Man Utd players self isolating and training from home. Man Utd may not play for a month.

There is no set amount of infections that are needed to call a game of and that is a big problem. Only 4 scheduled games for Man Utd in January so you could get another 4 in January.

lejackal

Grand Master
I mean they get rammed full of inhuman amounts of caffeine, bugger knows how many supplements that toe the line of legal and won't have a vaccination 🤷‍♂️

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I hazard a guess the amount of non-vaccianated PL players is due to religion. It always surprises me how it seems 50% of substitutes do the cross on the chest thing when they come on indicating they are Christian, the majority of those players are foreign so I think that probably accounts for most of those who refuse to be jabbed. The rest are probably just young and stupid (who would guess a 20 year old who gets paid a million pounds a month thinks he knows best!?)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Have all major religions not said the vaccine is ok though? The only ones who I could see objecting would be Muslims or Jews if there were any animal (namely pig) products in it. Other than that…

Most of the players who cross themselves are south Americans, or Spanish/Italian and thus catholic. The Catholic church has okayed the vaccine. I suspect your point about them being young and dumb is very valid though. Especially as they are all surrounded by hangers on and people who blow smoke up their arses. They are used to getting their own way and to people just agreeing with them.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think it's the religious leaders, more those nutters who believe in divine intervention over medicine (there are lots in America.)

Burnely Vs Villa postponed today so that means the only game today is... Arsenal Vs Leeds! My prediction about Arsenal topping the league is looking more likely :p

lejackal

Grand Master
I don't think it's the religious leaders, more those nutters who believe in divine intervention over medicine (there are lots in America.)

Burnely Vs Villa postponed today so that means the only game today is... Arsenal Vs Leeds! My prediction about Arsenal topping the league is looking more likely :p
I shouldn't worry Edd, only one end of the Seven Sisters Road thinks you can win the league in December 😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom