Palitoy Ramblings

Mwak73

Padawan
Yknow, I've been looking more into the history, lately, of the original release dates of the original Kenner line, but more specifically what was released here, through palitoy.
I'm not even a collector, so much.
But just love the nostalgia of remembering having them, back when they came out.

As I'm sure we all recall, palitoy sold the stuff, hand over first, by the million.
But here's my thoughts today -
It's amazing that they did, when you consider their marketing strategy. At times.
I'll give you a few examples -
ESB released in UK 1980 - but the star destroyer set, tied in with that film- only first released here, in1982.
ESB released 1980 - slave 1 toy first released here in 1982.
ESB released 1980 - the brilliant at-at toy, first released here, in 1982.
ESB released 1980 - the rebel transport toy, only first released here in 1983 (!)
Rotj released here in 1983 - Imperial shuttle toy, first released here in 1985.
Etc.

And there are many examples of items not being released until well after a year after the films were in the cinema.
My whole point with all of this, is.... Can you possibly imagine a toy company, nowadays, who knew it was onto a dead cert to sell the line in huge numbers, even remotely considering waiting two years, until first releasing the toys?!?
It's bonkers.
They'd now have the full range of toys connected to that film, lined up and on the shelves, probably BEFORE the film came out. And if not, definitely no more than six months after it's release.
And I'll tell you why.
Let's picture a scenario -
Take a huge, modern day, smash hit film. Avengers endgame, say.
I think it came out in 2019. Thereabouts.
So.... Let's now say the only company holding the license to release the official toy line for the film, said, oh there's no rush to release the toys really.
We'll release a few figures now, and a couple of ships, but we may as well hold back the main run for a couple of years.

Think about it. The toys would only NOW be coming out for Endgame.
And would they sell? I do seriously doubt it.
To kids I mean. Not collectors.
Toys were for kids only, in 1980.
Collecting didn't even exist until the 90s and after.
Toy companies would be absolutely insane to have a policy like that now.
And that's because kids will have largely lost their hunger for Endgame by now, and moved onto something else.
Toy fashions are fast, cruel and don't hang around long.

It's even more amazing when you think back to 1980.
You went to the pictures and saw a film.
Then you came home and you never saw it again. Well, until it premiered on TV around six years later 😂
You didn't see it on TV, you didn't watch it on video (what was a video recorder back in 1980.....a rich man's toy only, that's what). And you couldn't get into stuff on the internet about it, any time you wished, like you can now.
My meaning is, theoretically, with only seeing the film once, it would have been so easy for it to fade from our minds after a while.
But it never did. Our hunger for it, and devotion, remained strong, despite all of that.

All of this is just hypothetical.
Because I know the answer to the things I've asked.
We didn't have the choice or the over-saturation of things, back then, to grab our attention.
There are new films, TV shows, and thousands of internet based content, appearing all the time these days.
It's bang.... Gone..... Bang ..... Gone. Repeat.
There is just SO much stuff now, to grab kids attention, that they just flit from one thing to another, and nothing hold them for long.
They know they always have something new to entertain them tomorrow.

But back in 1980, you got very little to entertain you.
A new film or favourite TV show every couple of years if you were lucky.
And so.... This meant you stayed loyal to things.... They held you for longer.

And so palitoy must have relied on that fact, and trusted in our long term loyalty.
Christ, but it's a risky bloody strategy.

And as we all know, that strategy went down the toilet after 85, when it suddenly became difficult to GIVE star wars stuff away, let alone sell it.
Until, that is, those 80s kids grew up, and got nostalgic for their childhood again.
And suddenly got the title of "collector" 😊

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Times have changed, big time. Now everything has to be instant, whereas back then, there was way less competition for SW, so they knew they could take their time if need be, especially when they knew they had new films coming out in the next few years. They knew they wouldn't lose their market.

Mwak73

Padawan
Exactly. We concur.
And here's a little thought, on a slightly different tangent, to tag onto the end of all this -
For all the marvelousness of the modern world, with the internet, it's instant communication (such as us talking now, for example), the connectivity of absolutely everything these days, the speed of it all, the convenience, and just the sheer amount of stuff that surrounds and bombards us..... Doesn't a part of you.... Even just a teensy bit..... Sometimes long for the simplicity, and the naivety of forty years again?
I know I do at times.
Back when, hardly anyone was filled with desperation to be famous, as their main goal in life, and nobody needed to be adored as an internet sensation.
Just one glance at bloody TikTok nowadays, fills my heart with real sadness, at the direction the internet has largely taken a huge portion of society.

Mwak73

Padawan
A lot of people would stop you, and point out, the fact that, you and I are currently able to chat, only because of the internet.
But not me.
I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Because you specifically highlighted "social media".
The opiate of the masses.

The internet has many brilliant uses.
But one of them isn't social media.
Just take a look down any busy road in the country, and there they are -
It's not even just young kids.
It's most ages.
Walking along, zombified, glued to their phones.
About 70% of people I see, out and about, are on their phone.
And I'll bet it's not to check today's weather, or chat on this forum 😁
No doubt they'll be checking up on Facebook or Twitter, to see how many more like they've gained today.
And when they don't, they'll crash down hard, each time.
It's what is leading to a higher percentage in teen suicides now.
They think all that crap actually matters in the big scheme of things.
Poor buggers.
Christ, I'd hate to be growing up nowadays, as a kid. So much pressure to be "cool"and with it.
I'm so thankful I grew up in an era, just playing out till all hours in the muck, mostly carefree and happy.
And most importantly.... Naive and unaware of the outside world.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The one point i would add ( from my own personal perspective) is that there are many things we have with progress
these are things to utilise in moderation as with all things, there is nothing in life that should dictate your life, other than honesty, decency, family and generally doing the right thing.
as you get older ( as I'm an old git) you do look back at simpler times and wish for them back sometimes, but as said, progress is inevitable, the trick is not to let things like social media rule your life, as it will skew perspective.
I personally don't do FB or social media at all, never have, I am a member on here, simply due to the comradery, knowledge and general feel good non judgemental ethos around SWFUK which has always been the case.

Mwak73

Padawan
Yes, I agree with all of that.
I have to admit ...I'm actually on Facebook, but detestc social media.
Which sounds contradictory, but isn't really.
I think it's a good last-ditch place to have a contact there, just for anyone who has no other way to contact you in life.
Say, old school pals or whatever.
But having said that, it's never been used in that way by anyone 😁
So therefore....ergo..... It means I never ever use Facebook.
But the account gets left open..... You never know who might need to use it one day.

Mind you, social media, in the right circumstances, can be a marvelous tool.
Say, for a grandma in blighty, who has grandkids brought up in America she's never seen.
In that case, it's a wonderful way for her to keep in touch, and see their progress.
It's just sad, that this particular example, is a minority one.
Mostly, social media is used, by insecure people, to post about something that they've either ....bought/won/been given/done/been to/ate (delete as necessary).
Purely to see if they can stir up envy in others, and get them to click "like".
To validate their existence, to themselves.
All very sad.

And yes.... This site can't even be remotely compared to all that pulaver.
Like minds, just wanting to chat about a common interest. With no ego involved.
And sometimes way off topic too, as this post proves 😁😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom