Should U grades be banned!

Chris_J

Padawan
Thats the one thing that I don't understand. Someone somewhere had to touch that figure before its carded and then be touched again to be graded. So how in the world is it uncirculated? It was circulated somewhere some point in time. Sorry if this was brought up before, but I just don't understand the whole concept behind the covented "U'' grade period. Like several here and RS have said, the price for nice examples of MOC's are going to skyrocket because of this fad. :twisted:

Grant

Sith Lord
I havent posted in hear in months so i thought Id come back and give my opinion on this topic.
Firstly no one is going to be able to stop this practise. Its there whether we like it or not.
Myself personally i think if its being used it should be saved for beater examples with falling of bubbles and fekt cardbacks that no one in their right mind would collect. Nothing more and nothing less.
If people want to try and shoot me for making this statement then so be it.

I dont for the record agree with anyone sending in hundreds of cards a month to get Ugraded. I totally understand that argument.
If this practise was to continue for a few years cardbacks would be even more scarce than they are already.

Grant.

plantman

Sith Lord
That sounds more like you Grant :)

I just cant understand what posseses people to pay the prices, its beyond belief!!

it will kill the MOC culture especially at those prices.

u90, 90, u85, 85...all the same to me and worth exactly the same. i would rather splash £350 on a nice 12 back that a frigging u90 death star droid

slim

Sith Lord
u90, 90, u85, 85...all the same to me and worth exactly the same. i would rather splash £350 on a nice 12 back that a frigging u90 death star droid[/quote]

DAMN RIGHT !!

slim

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
Well i posted my thoughts and feelings on RS.

All i can do from here in is add the following disclaimer to my ungraded MOC listings in future. It wont be much in the grand scheme of things considering the rate that dealers / scalpers are destroying MOC's but if all of us who are passionate about this issue add the below every time we sell ungraded MOC's then it can go some way to preserving them.

"These MOC's are for sale to MOC collectors if evidence suggests that it is your intention is to destroy the item to obtain a U grade then i retain the right to refuse the sale"

As Joe Y said on the RS thread this is pretty easy to determine as you only need to look into the buyers posting history.

Jay

Grant

Sith Lord
Jay.

I see your intentions are good but it will make **** all difference over all just because yourself and some other guys maybe agree to add this disclaimer when selling on carded figures.
There are hundreds and thousands of other collector/sellers out there that will sell on the carded examples regardless.
Also I know loads of collectors who dont visit any forums at all.
I think were the minority on the these boards we are certainly not the majority and that goes for RS to.
I cant see anybody being able to change anything.
All we can do is have an opinion and hope for the great of good that it doesn't damage the hobby to much.

Again only an opinion.

Grant.

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
Grant

Glad to see you back over here mate!

What is the alternative sit back and do nothing?

If i each one of us over the next year save 20 MOC's each from destruction by using the disclaimer and not feeding the U grade fad then i will be happy. I have also had a large number of PM's from RS members who appreciated the debate and what it highlighted and many of them have revised the way they think about U grades. E.g one guy was going down the U grade route because he had be hit by repros when collecting loose which is understandable. I will (like so many of us will / would) go out of my way to support him now and in the future to ensure that he is not rooked by repros when he moves into loose collecting.

I'm also currently working on a new website for Repro identification as the Jawa's Amory although an excellent starting point to pick up some of the basics is simple not extensive enough or update with the current Repro market. I hope that many of the guys here will support it by providing the examples advice input etc.

Yes the impact we may have can be only classed as minimum in the grand scheme of things but we can influence and educate people which im sure what the threads here and RS have done. We can support the less experienced members of the communities and we can ensure that we are not feeding the process by allowing our FS MOC's to be destroyed.

I don't buy into the attitude we can do **** all about it if everybody had that attitude then where would we be?

Jay

Joe

Grand Master
ARRRGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Star Wars VINTAGE SW 20bk POWER DROID AFA U90 CANDIDATE. I bought him to send to the AFA to remove for a potential U90 figure but then managed to acquire one a week later d'oh!! Serial no. 13923999 c85 b60 f90. AFA 60 overall"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-VINTAGE-SW-20bk-POWER-DROID-AFA-U90-CANDIDATE_W0QQitemZ300327525678QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item45ecea5d2e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1688|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Grant

Sith Lord
whiteskinnydroid said:

"Star Wars VINTAGE SW 20bk POWER DROID AFA U90 CANDIDATE. I bought him to send to the AFA to remove for a potential U90 figure but then managed to acquire one a week later d'oh!! Serial no. 13923999 c85 b60 f90. AFA 60 overall"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-VINTAGE-SW-20bk-POWER-DROID-AFA-U90-CANDIDATE_W0QQitemZ300327525678QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item45ecea5d2e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1688|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I saw that listing myself Joe. Not good...

Grant.

Joe

Grand Master
I had an interesting pm over on RS from a guy who told me that long before cloud27 had brought the subject up on RS people who were and have been searching for U90 and higher were resorting to looking at already graded figures to see if it was possible to get a good U loose grade from them.

Destructive madness.

plantman

Sith Lord
It depends on how you want to look at that one, at least its been attempted at carded grading, i wouldnt personally get it U graded but someone might want to. It looks fine to me.

What would annoy me is someone destroying it, and selling it for £200.

an afa 60 isnt appealing to most but its still a great display piece, and shouldnt be worth more as a loose figure which is the problem.

what idiot would pay more for a U grade than a carded..... :roll:

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
whiteskinnydroid said:

This attitude is really mind-boggling. How can anybody think this way!!??

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
whiteskinnydroid said:
I had an interesting pm over on RS from a guy who told me that long before cloud27 had brought the subject up on RS people who were and have been searching for U90 and higher were resorting to looking at already graded figures to see if it was possible to get a good U loose grade from them.

Destructive madness.

Joe, this idea definately was brought up and discussed before - see this thread at RS:
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2756969&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=1#2756969

Joe

Grand Master
Rudyard said:
whiteskinnydroid said:

Destructive madness.

Joe, this idea definately was brought up and discussed before - see this thread at RS:
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2756969&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=1#2756969

Holy **** thats from 2 years ago ! :shock:

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I know Joe, I linked to it on the current RS thread, but don't think I made it very noticeable. Ah well.

For the record, aside from / and despite my comments yesterday, those pictures of opened C8-9 cards on the RS thread utterly sicken me, as does that ebay link for the gonk. Would feel quite green if I thought that some of my U's were derived from such pieces. At least I can sort of justify my purchases to myself, knowing that the prices I'm prepared to pay would never make it worthwhile folk submitting decent cards the for chop and slice.

Hmmmmm, very thought provoking all of this. Meditate on it I shall

Joe

Grand Master
I must admit I didn't see the link at all on RS Rudyard you might have to go back and highlight that actually for others as well, I am sure it will bring up some more conversation..

I really don't know what to make of it all, for the most part they never bothered me till this discussion all kicked off over on RS , as it all unfolds it just seems very greedy and destructive.

The worst thing is, judging by the thread you showed us and a few PM's I had on RS it's happened already.

If we start seeing Palitoy, Meccano, Harbert and LL cardbacks up for sale with sliced bubbles I think I will be chucking in the towel very soon.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I've just tweaked the post I had made on that thread. I've made two replies on the thread in total. The link is in my 2nd reply about half way down the 2nd page of the thread. I don't want to stir up more trouble than necessary (damn I have plenty of U's myself), but as folk can see, its defo been thought of and discussed before.

Joe

Grand Master
Did you see the post made by lastcentury_net, those cardbacks that everyone was jumping up and down about WERE originally all graded figures.

I can't believe this is happening guys.

Grant

Sith Lord
Using AFA silver level carded figures now thats out of order because they were not beaters, It seems there is no restrictions or boundaries...

Grant.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom