Should U grades be banned!

plantman

Sith Lord
Thats my wavelength...its absolute ignorance to pay these prices for a stupid U grade and i hate them, you can pick up a gamorrean guard for £15 moc but a u90 sells for £100+ what a ****ing joke.

ROTJ and other rough cards are getting ruined because of jokers paying wank prices for them.

like ive said previously though, i can see why people do it...to make money, what i cant understand is the people that pay it..its pointless.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
plantman said:
like ive said previously though, i can see why people do it...to make money, what i cant understand is the people that pay it..its pointless.

I'm with you on this one!

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
plantman said:
its like killing an elephant for its tusks..rewarding but pointless.
:cry: :cry:

Well, not quite, killing elephants should be punishable by death. Overpaying on U grades would be more a case of being spanked by Susan Boyle in public :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Darth Wensleydale said:
plantman said:

Well, not quite, killing elephants should be punishable by death. Overpaying on U grades would be more a case of being spanked by Susan Boyle in public :lol:

Si, I'm a bit disturbed by the fact you think of things like that! :lol:
Probably why you fit in so well on here mind!

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Darth Wensleydale said:
plantman said:

or just getting kicked square in the nuts. :p

aussiejames

Sith Lord
A similar discussion is occuring at RS. Quote for the day "even if they have a shoebox collection of skinny droids" Joe I think Gonk has Droid envy- it must suck to be a box with 2 legs :lol:

Joe

Grand Master
aussiejames said:
A similar discussion is occuring at RS. Quote for the day "even if they have a shoebox collection of skinny droids" Joe I think Gonk has Droid envy- it must suck to be a box with 2 legs :lol:

Yep he seems have it in for me that guy, not sure why?

The issue with cloud27 that I have is that he was not so long ago buying up cheapish baggies for Grading (I can only presume U grades) and he offered me a baggie with a factory paint error for quite a bit more than the original sellers price (who in fact offered it to me first but I passed) .

When I said I wasn't interested , especially at that price, he said no problem I will probably send it in for grading (bear in mind it was right about the same time the U graded factory error Boba Fett was up on ebay for a ridiculous amount of money)

I aimed my comments at him to see if he would remember the incident but I guess he didn't catch on.

I honestly still think to come up with an idea like his "paradox" post he was spending some considerable time wondering how to make even more money by destroying perfectly good MOC figures.

Anyway, thats the reason for the hostility over there, either he got it or he didn't but for me, its a warped idea that I would never have conceived in a million years even if the original poster wouldn't "try" it himself, which I don't really believe 100% anyway...

(imagine if the first 10 people said "hey thats a great idea" he might have been breaking out his sledgehammer and scissors and sending cut cards into AFA as we speak)

Joe

Grand Master
Oh and on another note, just an observation, the RS classifieds used to be quite full of MOC figures up for sale in all conditions, in the past two days alone there has been 2 lots of cardbacks + bubbles intact which you can only presume suffered the U grade fate.

Has AFA created a new collectible? not only the U grade figure but now we have the "perfectly good cardback and bubble minus figure" toy.

At least those loveable recarders will have plenty of things to do with the cards :roll:

plantman

Sith Lord
Dont even get me started on this!

Sellers are hording cheaper carded figures and ruining them (im not going to name anyone) its the stupid people that pay these prices that are causing this.
Who in the right mind would value a loose figure with "U" in front of it more than a carded one, even in c7 condition.

In this finacial climate though, i was tempted myself a couple of times.

Joe

Grand Master
I typed out a big response just now but in the end the words are useless, all I can say is that the "U" grade was a very bad idea that has changed this hobby for the worse.

Just had another glance at some of those cardbacks for sale on RS - my oh my ..

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Agree with much of what you've said Joe.

Here is another current example of 'U' market values....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220444412100
A nice figure to be sure, but the price is heading skyward.

As I've said before, I have quite a lot of U figures myself - plenty of U85s as I'm not super fussed about U90's and I'd certainly never pay some of these prices. Just for the record, I've never sent any submissions to AFA and doubt I ever will. However, I do understand the quirk of having a figure you know hasn't been played with, as well as the guarantee that the accessories are original.

What the guy on RS suggested was pretty twisted IMO.

Joe

Grand Master
plantman said:
In this finacial climate though, i was tempted myself a couple of times.

Perhaps that is another factor, everyone knows its an easy buck to whizz some crappy figures in to AFA and turnover some good $$..

lastcentury.net made a good point, one day AFA will (probably) cease to be, so in that case - who will the graded collectibles be of any use to if the company that grades them doesn't exist any more.

I wonder if this has happened to any other grading company? I know a few started out and stopped quickly but none that have ran for 5 or more years ?

It will be interesting to see in years to come :)

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
plantman said:
Have you got the link for the discussion, i think ill throw my opion in there as i hate the U grade.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3805452&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#3805452

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom