Should live or recently ended eBay auctions be allowed to be outed on SWF

Should live or recently ended eBay auctions be allowed to be "outed" on SWF

• NO. Any live or recently ended auction should NOT be outed on SWF (unless they are scam attempts/hum

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • YES. All live or recently ended auctions should be allowed to be outed on the forum

Votes: 40 48.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
North Korea, eh?
Perhaps we should have a row of anti-aircraft guns lined up to obliterate any convicted "outers". :shock:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...aircraft-gun-for-falling-asleep-10246012.html

Perhaps I'm being a bit over-sensitive, but I've found a few comments on this subject a tad condescending.

I'm sure that "these people" only outed the particular auctions for only one reason - a quest for knowledge. I know this was the defining reason in my Uzay R5 outing. Yes, a little common sense should have been exercised, but it should never stop anybody asking questions, just so the 'chosen few' can grab a bargain. I would hate for the fun to be sucked out of this hobby.

I'm in favour of some kind of waiting period, but only as a deterrent to 'backdooring'.

But then again, I'm only posting this to improve my post count, aren't I? :roll:

walkie

Sith Lord
There's nothing wrong with anybody quest for knowledge, but grabbing the image from ebay and reposting it here without the link would be a far better way of doing it.

poncho

Grand Master
walkie said:
There's nothing wrong with anybody quest for knowledge, but grabbing the image from ebay and reposting it here without the link would be a far better way of doing it.
thats what i do if its something of interest to me

copy image url of ebay, paste it in image url on a thread..simples

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
walkie said:

Totally agree, Walkie.
Obviously, in hindsight that would have been the way to go.

Although, would some construe this as milder form of 'outing', as it would also arguably still alert people to the presence of the item?
It's a bit of a minefield and my brain is starting to hurt!

TwistedMetal

Sith Lord
To true,even if you post a pic up, which 9 times out of 10 it will be off eBay, and let's say the pic is of a 12 back stormy sooner or later someone will find it by searching on eBay! And like I said there are millions of people using eBay and there have being 78 voters on here which compared to eBay isn't many, let's be honest by banning them I can't see it gaining anything.

Joe

Grand Master
TwistedMetal said:
To true,even if you post a pic up, which 9 times out of 10 it will be off eBay, and let's say the pic is of a 12 back stormy sooner or later someone will find it by searching on eBay!

The ideal thing would be to post up an image from the listing that isn't the main one that everyone sees when they search..like this:

example.JPG

(It was like the 6th picture or so)

I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could find the auction but sometimes it's harder than you think, especially if all you've got is a picture. Sometimes the key words that you would normally use to find something like a VCJ aren't going to bring that auction to you, maybe it's part of a lot etc etc

Another thing to remember (and I know it sounds obvious) is that if you know someone on the forum who might be able to help you, just contact them directly. You can reach most people via PM/email or FB on here and pretty much everyone is happy to help or give you an opinion.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
The image link would seem to be the best compromise, rather than an outright ban.

Joe said:
The ideal thing would be to post up an image from the listing that isn't the main one that everyone sees when they search.

Sounds good. Although, this would obviously depend on the listing having more than one image.

Joe

Grand Master
Yep that's true although if there is only one image there is a good trick to getting the original larger image uploaded by the seller which you can then crop or edit if you wanted to.

After right clicking on the image and opening it in a new tab, you'll see the URL like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/zuAAAOSwyQtVksOj/$_12.JPG

If it is really small like that one then just delete the "12" at the end and replace it with "10" (or 57) so the URL is now this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/zuAAAOSwyQtVksOj/$_10.JPG

You'll then have a much larger image to play around with.

(Thanks to Greg for the tip, I still use it lol!)

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
What about Star Wars outing hang man? or Count Down anagrams. If you guess it you deserve to know about it.

EG:

H_L_ S _IT _ H_ _E _S A _A_ F_CE O_ _U_T_EE

RADHTRAVED TD NO BYEA

Disclaimer- not real outings, given as examples of how Star Wars countdown and hangman outings could work.

Joe

Grand Master
As per the first post, the Poll runs till Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:10 pm.

At 51% to 49% it's obviously extremely close, so whatever decision is taken needs to be thought about. Hope you guys understand. :D

(ps: At present it's not forbidden to post ebay auctions, so technically you can still do it if you want :wink: )

indianawars

Sith Lord
TrisCompany said:
What about Star Wars outing hang man? or Count Down anagrams. If you guess it you deserve to know about it.

EG:

H_L_ S _IT _ H_ _E _S A _A_ F_CE O_ _U_T_EE

RADHTRAVED TD NO BYEA

Disclaimer- not real outings, given as examples of how Star Wars countdown and hangman outings could work.

Bollocks to that mate - It's bad enough being dyslexic, but cryptic messages! Well that would just send me over the edge and straight to Broadmoor! :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Joe said:
As per the first post, the Poll runs till Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:10 pm.

At 51% to 49% it's obviously extremely close, so whatever decision is taken needs to be thought about. Hope you guys understand. :D

(ps: At present it's not forbidden to post ebay auctions, so technically you can still do it if you want :wink: )

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Jason has now posted about the item he had won in his trilogo limelight so it may help to add a bit of perspective to this.

He had won a sister auction to the cardback auction that had been posted. It was 6 card backs badly listed that contained a hybrid ccp. He won the auction for approx £160 I think, so not a steal by any means. He was in Egypt on holiday at the time so had to wait for wifi before he even knew he'd won it and spent several hours trying to pay for it.

Now, greed has been given as the only reason people didn't want auctions outed. This cardback is the last Jason needed to complete his trilogo run, and hadn't seen one openly available for 8 years. Nothing to do with greed. He struck lucky as the seller didn't know what he was selling but was struggling to get the deal done in Egypt. This is why he got upset about the other auction being outed and the possibility of being backdoored. I doubt this card will ever be sold and its great to see the run completed.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
So the nays have it 43 to 40.

What I was after here was that people didn't post up links to auctions that I'd recently won before I had a chance to pay for them and for them to be posted out. So any rule that helps with that would be much appreciated.

Cheers Jason

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
So the nays have it 43 to 40.

What I was after here was that people didn't post up links to auctions that I'd recently won before I had a chance to pay for them and for them to be posted out. So any rule that helps with that would be much appreciated.

Cheers Jason

The vote was inconclusive and as it wasn't a strong result either way I don't think a rule makes much sense. Let common sense rule, and let people be adult and sensible about how long they wait to post things. It's a storm in a teacup.

Top Bottom