Premier League 2020/2021 Thread

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah very true I would put Palace down before Wolves and at least 1 of the sides coming up, then the usual suspects Brighton, Newcastle etc.

lejackal

Grand Master
Right then, let's all forget about the premier league for a minute and come together as one to laugh at the fact PSG are in with a shout of losing a one horse race tonight :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
And A.Madrid winning Spanish League, great achievement to finish above Real and Barcelona.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yup fair play. Lille winning Ligue Un was nice to see. How PSG managed not to win a 1 team league I'll never know. Sad to see Juve scrape in the CL.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Phew, well it's never relaxing being a Spurs fan. After 45 minutes it looked like a textbook Spurs meltdown. What do you do in a must-win game? Give away TWO penalties! You couldn't write it. I was close to turning the TV off, but remembering it was probably Kane and Bale's last game, I forced myself to watch the rest of it. With Arsenal cruising past Brighton it looked like the perfect end to a miserable season with only 15 minutes left, but who came to the rescue with a couple of bits of magic? Yep, Kane and Bale. And with a questionable handball VAR decision going our way for Bale's first goal, I can finally stop moaning about the Newcastle match at the start of the season.

Anyway, we scraped 7th. Terrible season and nothing to be proud of, but I do think justice was done, I don't think Arsenal deserved to finish above us despite somehow pulling five straight wins out of the bag. And also credit to West Ham, you absolutely did deserve to finish above us (and Arsenal) this season.

As for Leicester missing out on CL, it's a shame those Chelsea c***s got in at their expense, but yesterday reminded me why I hate watching Leicester home games - they have, bar none, the worst fans in football. Booing the BLM kneel, shouting 'wanker' every time the visiting keeper takes a goal kick, booing the visiting team every time they have possession, it was like watching a ground full of 11 year olds. There must be something in the water up there. I did laugh hard at their deathly silence when Spurs scored their third and fourth goals.

This is the most unsettled end to a season I can remember, no manager and probably about to lose our best players. I have no idea what will happen next season.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Spurs in the new European Conference League Challenge Fizzy Cup Trophy Shield as well.
That could actually be quite interesting. You will be one of the favourites for that. I think I'm right in saying if Villareal beat Utd on Wed there is no Spanish side in the thing. So Spurs, and whoever the German and Italian sides are and ehhh a load of dross.

Ok, it may ONLY be the European fizzy cup, but.........

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Looking at the CL seedings for next year, Pot 1 is looking (relatively weak)

1 CL winner...............................City/Chelsea*
2 EL winner...............................Utd/Villareal
3 PL winner...............................City
4 La Liga winner..........................Atleti
5 Bundesliga winner......................Bayern
6 Seria A winner..........................Inter
7 Ligue Un winner........................Lille
8 Portugese Super league winner......Sporting Lisbon

*If City win the CL then Ajax get in as the Dutch Eridivisie is the next highest ranked league.

Compare that to Pot 2 which has............Real, Barca, Juve, PSG, Utd, Pool, Sevilla, and Chelsea/Dortmund.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:
Compare that to Pot 2 which has............Real, Barca, Juve, PSG, Utd, Pool, Sevilla, and Chelsea/Dortmund.

Funny you should say that, yes they are all the 'bigger' clubs, but haven't they all just not won anything!? It's hard to argue that the pot full of league title winners aren't the ones to beat...

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I take your point. But the odds on Lille and Sporting doing much in next years CL are slim. Cue one of them winning it now.

Real and Barca are financially fooked, but so are Atleti. Juve are a shambles, but if they appoint a manager who at least has a clue they'll be a damn sight better off.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That was probably the best penalty shoot out I've ever seen, 21 consecutive goals, incredible!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
Zidane has gone so your lot need to get a shift on if you want him

Is he any good though? Managing Real or Barca is like managing Celtic. Conte's recent history is far more impressive IMO. Now these two are available we'll probably end up with Eddie Howe :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Some amazing headlines this morning. Second in the league and a European final with a rookie manager is a failure!? These pundits need a reality check - there are over 100 clubs in the EFL, and of those only two or three will win a major trophy every year. Sometimes less. does that make every other team in the leagues a failure? No. Progress is success, and Man United have certainly progressed.

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
lejackal said:
Zidane has gone so your lot need to get a shift on if you want him

Is he any good though? Managing Real or Barca is like managing Celtic. Conte's recent history is far more impressive IMO. Now these two are available we'll probably end up with Eddie Howe :lol:

Sorry, I meant if you want Conte, not ZZ

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Some amazing headlines this morning. Second in the league and a European final with a rookie manager is a failure!? These pundits need a reality check - there are over 100 clubs in the EFL, and of those only two or three will win a major trophy every year. Sometimes less. does that make every other team in the leagues a failure? No. Progress is success, and Man United have certainly progressed.

I'd say not being able to beat Villarreal is a failure for UTD, and Arsenal for that matter. I know what you mean though

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Poch back to Spurs. Ehhh what!? Surely both parties are smart enough to know it didn't work the first time so ehh it won't work the second time!? Not that I can see PSG agreeing to let him leave.

As for Utd, I take Edd's point. Probably all but 3 or 4 sides in the football league would happily take Utd's season over their own. But then none of those sides have spent money like Utd have.
That was a very winnable final and Utd didn't really turn up. Anything can happen in a final, but 2 shots on target in 120 mins against the 7th best side in Spain is poor for a club of Utd's stature.

Are Utd making progress under OGS? I'm not sure. You can make arguments both ways. I was never a fan of his appointment so you can guess what side of that argument I sit on.

One other thing that did make me laugh was people pointing out to GNev that he has been spouting off about how Kane needs to leave Spurs to win trophies, yet Fernandez is the same age and has won ehhh no major trophies. Weirdly Gary isn't advocating Fernandez leave Utd to win major trophies. :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom