Premier League 2020/2021 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Words fail me. How can your left back (Reguillon) score a volley AND provide an assist... in his own net!? In one game!!!??? We are the unluckiest team in football, bar none. The performance was pathetic, don't get me wrong, but this must make a dozen catastrophic mistakes he has made this season. How can ANYONE be worse than Danny Rose? Well he's managing it!

Never mind European football, St Totteringham day is coming this Sunday. How many points were Spurs ahead of Arsenal at Christmas, 15? It is unforgiveable to let that slip.

Since Christmas the only teams to accrue more points than arsenal are Man Citeh and Salford Utd. Yeah, we've not been great but we're not quite the **** show that we're portrayed as. No way should we still have a sniff of the good saints day though, if your lot had played to their potential

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
Since Christmas the only teams to accrue more points than arsenal are Man Citeh and Salford Utd. Yeah, we've not been great but we're not quite the **** show that we're portrayed as. No way should we still have a sniff of the good saints day though, if your lot had played to their potential

Wow I didn't know that. Says a lot about the absolute dire quality of this season if the team in 9th have the second best form this year :lol: I don't see Spurs beating Leicester so Arsenal need to win, which would make 5 wins out of 5 for them. I have no doubt in my mind!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I was looking at the fixtures for the last week. Everton have City, they ain't winning that. Spurs have Leicester, I cant see them winning that. Arsenal have Brighton. That's very winnable, and that would be Arsenal in the new Europa Conference (can we just call it the Cup winer's cup, or CWC, cos that's what it is!?) and the other two with no European football.

How can Arsenal still have a chance of Europe?

How can Pool be odds on for CL, despite having had no CB's all season?
How are Pool, who have been dung all season, 5pts behind Utd, who are apparently on their way back!?

Football is a strange old sport.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Words fail me. How can your left back (Reguillon) score a volley AND provide an assist... in his own net!? In one game!!!??? We are the unluckiest team in football, bar none. The performance was pathetic, don't get me wrong, but this must make a dozen catastrophic mistakes he has made this season. How can ANYONE be worse than Danny Rose? Well he's managing it!

Never mind European football, St Totteringham day is coming this Sunday. How many points were Spurs ahead of Arsenal at Christmas, 15? It is unforgiveable to let that slip.

Just seen the highlights. **** me. That is some finish from Regulion. He totally fell apart after that. Spurs looked a very distant second best.

I thought that could have been a pen against Lloris as well. The one where he takes out Watkins. The ball is away, but does that matter? I lose track of the rules. He has no need to come that far out mind

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:
I was looking at the fixtures for the last week. Everton have City, they ain't winning that. Spurs have Leicester, I cant see them winning that. Arsenal have Brighton. That's very winnable, and that would be Arsenal in the new Europa Conference (can we just call it the Cup winer's cup, or CWC, cos that's what it is!?) and the other two with no European football.

On paper, you're right. But on paper City wouldn't have lost to Brighton, West Ham wouldn't be in the top half of the table, Leicester wouldn't have beaten Chelsea in the FA Cup, Spurs wouldn't have lost to Villa, Arsenal wouldn't have won three trophies in the last five years, and so on. This season has been one of the most unpredictable in recent history. I have no faith Spurs will win on Sunday, but trying to pick 4th-7th at the moment is a lottery. At least one of these chasing clubs is going to slip up, probably more, possibly all of them like happened a couple of years ago on the final day!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well now we've finally heard from the horse's mouth, there's no doubt Kane is going:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57188042

Wants to be the best he can, have no regrets, play in the CL. None of those are going to happen at Spurs. Such a shame that what was probably his last game at WHL (or whatever it's called now) ended in being booed off. I would be so pissed off if I was him, and I'm pissed off as a fan of his. He has been so badly let down by the club and most of his team mates. I hope Levy not only sells him but also the other half-dozen wasters who have contributed to his demise, time for a few seasons of rebuilding.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
He wants to decide where he goes…….ehhh Harry!? That's not quite how it works son. Spurs can accept any offer they want, or reject every offer. You have three (?) years left on your contract.
You can pick any club whose offer Spurs accept. That's how contracts work.

He was an idiot for signing that huge contract. Granted Levy may have fed him a load of wishful thinking BS, but he took the pay rise and in return gave Levy the right to demand whatever fee he wants. Kane talks about £100m? I would be amazed if Levy accepts anything less than £150m. Though the whole add ons things complicates it.

It is sad to see him leave Spurs, and it is a HUGE crossroads for Spurs. **** this up and it's back to mid table obscurity.

And I have to agree with edd_jedi the rest of his team mates have to kop a lot of the flack.

Question for Edd and any other Spurs fans, IF (and it is still an "if") you finish outside the European places, so 8th or below, and given you lost the Worthless Cup final, was sacking Mourinho when you did the right move?

You know my opinion of him, and he wasn't taking you forward. But, right now Spurs look like a club in if not freefall, then an utter shambles and it seems to have got worse since Jose left. Or was he the cause of a large part of it? Does where you finish relative to Arsenal affect your answer to the question above!?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I can see why Kane signed the contract at the time, Spurs were CL finalists and regularly finishing second or third in the PL. The problem is the last two seasons have been disastrous, mainly due to bad signings and getting rid of Poch. And why the **** Levy sold Trippier for 20m I will never know.

I think firing Mourihno was a HUGE mistake, I think his 'same manager, different players' comment carries a lot of weight. There's obviously no guarantee he would have won the cup, but now we'll never know. And Ryan Mason, not surprisingly, has no idea what he's doing.

My personal opinion on the best way forward for us is finish 8th so there's no European distractions, sell Kane and the other deadwood, and buy three or four players in the most needed positions (two or three defenders, and another deep midfielder like Hoijberg.) They don't need to be world class, just solid and have some passion, I would take a couple of Burnley's defenders over any of ours.

Even without Kane (which we have been for long periods due to injuries) we still have a pretty decent squad, especially up front, so there is potential there if we can get the right manager in and clear out the poor signings.

I think it's quite likely we will finish below Arsenal now, but regardless Arsenal will definitely finish below West Ham so it's been a terrible season for both teams. As it stands out of the six London PL clubs we are the 3rd and 4th best - or to put it another way, third and fourth worst!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Spurs have been poor for the last 2 or 3 seasons, if not obviously so from our league finishing positions (although they have been getting worse), then certainly in our tired, uninspired, predictable, boring, and above all largely ineffective, ultra negative style of play. The rot began under Poch when other teams got wise to his playing style (and he was either unwilling or incapable of making the team play differently), and sod all changed under Mourinho. Most of the squad certainly seem incapable of playing any other way, so perhaps they are the problem. As soon as they receive the ball, most players' first thought is to pass it sideways or backwards. Very few players (mainly Kane, Moura and Son) are regularly more positive. And that negative playing style obviously limits scoring chances, meaning they need to take the few they do create. And of course, it also requires that they have a rock solid defence... ha ha! Our defence has been woeful, our midfield pretty poor for the most part (Hojbjerg is an exception), and it's only been our strikers that have saved us from a far more embarrassing season.

I don't want Kane to leave, but I can understand why he probably wants to. Levy needs to seriously bolster the squad, selling off deadwood like Aurier and Reguilon (who started the season brightly, but can't pass the ball to save his life), and appoint a manager that will inspire and or whip the players into shape, and instill a bit of passion and desire into them.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
I can see why Kane signed the contract at the time, Spurs were CL finalists and regularly finishing second or third in the PL. The problem is the last two seasons have been disastrous, mainly due to bad signings and getting rid of Poch.

True, BBUUUUUTTTTT, why sign such a long contract!? A sign 2 or 3 year extension. He signed for 5 or 6 years. You should know if you sign for that long you run the risk of this happening. Once he signed it, he handed all the power to the Club/Levy. I get wanting to believe you/the club are on the cusp of greatness, BUT engage brain, protect yourself, only sign for 2 or 3 years. We don't buy car insurance cos we plan to crash the car. We buy it in case we crash. If he signed a 2 or 3 year extension he would be able to walk away, or say he wasn't signing a new one and all but have his pick of new clubs.

edd_jedi said:
I think firing Mourihno was a HUGE mistake.

Much as I hate him, I think you may be right. OR if you are going to sack him FFS have a replacement lined up. The current situation is a joke.

edd_jedi said:
Ryan Mason, not surprisingly, has no idea what he's doing.

Yup, and there has been no sign of a new manager/ "thank **** he's gone" bounce either.

edd_jedi said:
My personal opinion on the best way forward for us is finish 8th so there's no European distractions, sell Kane and the other deadwood, and buy three or four players in the most needed positions (two or three defenders, and another deep midfielder like Hoijberg.) They don't need to be world class, just solid and have some passion, I would take a couple of Burnley's defenders over any of ours.

Even without Kane (which we have been for long periods due to injuries) we still have a pretty decent squad, especially up front, so there is potential there if we can get the right manager in and clear out the poor signings.

That's a lot of dead wood. That's 2 or 3 window's worth of deadwood. It takes a certain kind of manager to sort a situation like that out.
You do have a decent squad though, no arguments there. Would you keep Bale for another season? His wages are ridiculous and has he really been that good? Or is it worth it just for the psychological boost to players/fans!?

Any preferences for the new manager? I keep hearing Scott Parker's name mentioned. He would be a dreadful appointment. Sean Dyche, who would be better, maybe less bad, but I'm not sure if he would be tactically flexible enough and experienced enough in dealing with big egos. I guess there is only one way you find out. There's also talk of Brendan. I'm not sure you would get him from Leicester. Spurs are a bigger club, no doubt about that, but Leicester are a much better team, and arguably a better run club. Is Brendan going to jump from where he is to take a chance on being able to turn Spurs around? I'd say he has more chance of achieving things where he is. Although the ceiling as to what he could achieve is probably slightly higher at Spurs. Then again, the floor is also lower.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Spurs have been poor for the last 2 or 3 seasons, if not obviously so from our league finishing positions (although they have been getting worse), then certainly in our tired, uninspired, predictable, boring, and above all largely ineffective, ultra negative style of play. The rot began under Poch when other teams got wise to his playing style (and he was either unwilling or incapable of making the team play differently), and sod all changed under Mourinho. Most of the squad certainly seem incapable of playing any other way, so perhaps they are the problem. As soon as they receive the ball, most players' first thought is to pass it sideways or backwards. Very few players (mainly Kane, Moura and Son) are regularly more positive. And that negative playing style obviously limits scoring chances, meaning they need to take the few they do create. And of course, it also requires that they have a rock solid defence... ha ha! Our defence has been woeful, our midfield pretty poor for the most part (Hojbjerg is an exception), and it's only been our strikers that have saved us from a far more embarrassing season.

I don't want Kane to leave, but I can understand why he probably wants to. Levy needs to seriously bolster the squad, selling off deadwood like Aurier and Reguilon (who started the season brightly, but can't pass the ball to save his life), and appoint a manager that will inspire and or whip the players into shape, and instill a bit of passion and desire into them.

Can't argue with any of that. Pretty much sums up my, outsider's, opinion of Spurs as well.

Fat Sam is available! :wink:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Nuno has confirmed he's leaving Wolves so must have something lined up, that wouldn't be the worst appointment for us...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:
Would you keep Bale for another season? His wages are ridiculous and has he really been that good? Or is it worth it just for the psychological boost to players/fans!?

I think he has already confirmed he's not staying another season. But yes I would keep him, nearing retirement Bale is way better than in their prime Sissoko or Winks! He's had a few magic moments this season, I think he's scored more than Son recently and he still has that deadly left foot that can cause mayhem from anywhere outside the box. He's not the best at defending but he wouldn't have to be if we had any defenders :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Palace will struggle. New manager, whoever he is, and 8/9/10 players out of contract. Big summer for them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom