Premier League 2020/2021 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I would agree on Leicester deserving one more than Pool. Chelsea……meh. They spent mega bucks in the summer and are a handful of points ahead of a Liverpool team who have been shafted by injuries all season. If they can't be comfortably safe in a CL spot with those two advantages, given their squad wasn't exactly weak before that…….

I had a quick look and I can't find a picture of it either, but yer man was definitely stood in front of Allison.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I would LOVE Chelsea not to make the top four, but I have a feeling Leicester are going to miss out. What I meant by deserved was more based on form, I agree a full strength Liverpool would be right up there but that's not the reality, and you can't give teams CL football because of how good they should be (Super League anyone!?) It's going to be a really interesting week.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Here it is https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1393976323786297352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1393976323786297352%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.givemesport.com%2F1692438-west-brom-12-liverpool-sam-allardyce-rages-about-bartleys-disallowed-goal

Nonsense decision! How was he impeding the keeper?!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
On another subject, who do you think is going to win the Championship play offs? I'd like to see Brentford in personally, they've been so close in recent seasons and I think deserve a go in the PL.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Cazza said:
Here it is https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1393976323786297352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1393976323786297352%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.givemesport.com%2F1692438-west-brom-12-liverpool-sam-allardyce-rages-about-bartleys-disallowed-goal

Thanks, yep stand by my statement, the keeper has a clear view of the ball:

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 17.54.24.png

And that's from a side view, from behind or overhead it's probably a couple of feet. So VAR can't get that right, but 3 lines in Microsoft Paint can :roll:

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Cazza said:

Thanks, yep stand by my statement, the keeper has a clear view of the ball:

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 17.54.24.png

And that's from a side view, from behind or overhead it's probably a couple of feet. So VAR can't get that right, but 3 lines in Microsoft Paint can :roll:
Devil's advocate:

Is he not considered to be obstructing the keeper from the run of the goal scorer, rather than the header?

Attachments

• 77A0104A-80B7-47F7-A234-3B25C182B53A.jpeg
    77A0104A-80B7-47F7-A234-3B25C182B53A.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 30

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
When you watch the clip (facing the goal), looks like the keeper has a clear sight of Bartley. At least it does to me!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Cazza said:

Yeah, from that clip it looks fine. I'll try and find the behind the goal angle. That shows it quite clearly

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
https://twitter.com/felicefan/status/1393999682142081024

The picture under the video (assuming my link works) shows it a lot clearer.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
I would LOVE Chelsea not to make the top four, but I have a feeling Leicester are going to miss out. What I meant by deserved was more based on form, I agree a full strength Liverpool would be right up there but that's not the reality, and you can't give teams CL football because of how good they should be (Super League anyone!?) It's going to be a really interesting week.

Yeah, fair point. I don't disagree.

Tomorrow goes a long way to deciding it all. COME ON LEICESTER!!!!!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If Liverpool get top 4 they will be in my top 3 to win it. I think any club that makes the top 4 deserves CL football, look how strong the English teams have been in Europe over the last 5 seasons.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:
https://twitter.com/felicefan/status/1393999682142081024

The picture under the video (assuming my link works) shows it a lot clearer.

Yes I hadn't seen that angle, does look more inline there

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
If Liverpool get top 4 they will be in my top 3 to win it. I think any club that makes the top 4 deserves CL football, look how strong the English teams have been in Europe over the last 5 seasons.

It's weird, I was chatting with a one eyed Utd fan I know. He has been saying for years, coincidentally since Liverpool started to actually challenge for the title, that the PL is weaker now than it has ever been. Yet you look at hoe PL, sides are doing in Europe and we have the second all English CL final in 3 years (with Pool losing tomReal the year before) and Utd in the EL final with another all English final two years before that.
I do think my one eyed friend has a point, but if the PL is weak, then European football must be even weaker.

I guess with the end of the great Barca sides, and Real running out of luck in CL, we are left with Bayern, PSG and the English sides. Serie A has been a poor league for years now.

Does the lack of meaningful competition in most big leagues (PL aside) means sides struggle in Europe, or do they just buy up all the good players and thus reinforce their own domestic dominance.

It's a weird one.

I do agree that the English sides will be favourites for the CL next year though. Them, Bayern and possibly PSG. With the three big Spanish sides all capable of taking a scalp or two, but probably not quite good enough to go the while way.

I'd also say the two English sides in the EL, and whoever ends up in the European Conference, will be among the favourites for that as well. Though if Juve miss out on the CL (please please please) they will be up there in EL.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
theforceuk said:

It's weird, I was chatting with a one eyed Utd fan I know. He has been saying for years, coincidentally since Liverpool started to actually challenge for the title, that the PL is weaker now than it has ever been. Yet you look at hoe PL, sides are doing in Europe and we have the second all English CL final in 3 years (with Pool losing tomReal the year before) and Utd in the EL final with another all English final two years before that.
I do think my one eyed friend has a point, but if the PL is weak, then European football must be even weaker.

I guess with the end of the great Barca sides, and Real running out of luck in CL, we are left with Bayern, PSG and the English sides. Serie A has been a poor league for years now.

Does the lack of meaningful competition in most big leagues (PL aside) means sides struggle in Europe, or do they just buy up all the good players and thus reinforce their own domestic dominance.

It's a weird one.

I do agree that the English sides will be favourites for the CL next year though. Them, Bayern and possibly PSG. With the three big Spanish sides all capable of taking a scalp or two, but probably not quite good enough to go the while way.

I'd also say the two English sides in the EL, and whoever ends up in the European Conference, will be among the favourites for that as well. Though if Juve miss out on the CL (please please please) they will be up there in EL.

Think it's hard to say, I think the PL is more competitive than it was 15 years ago, same as the European Cup every year its not straight forward to pick a winner. But I guess the CL has always been like that. I certainly think it's harder to get top 4 now than it ever has been. The Spanish, Italian and French leagues should spread the wealth more evenly that would help solve the dominance of the big teams.

Interesting Kane has handed in a transfer request, will probably end up at City, really hope the Glazers don't think it's a good idea for Man Utd to get him, that said Kane wants a move to win trophies so no chance and thankfully IMO.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
The Spanish, Italian and French leagues should spread the wealth more evenly that would help solve the dominance of the big teams.

Interesting Kane has handed in a transfer request, will probably end up at City, really hope the Glazers don't think it's a good idea for Man Utd to get him, that said Kane wants a move to win trophies so no chance and thankfully IMO.

Spain changed a more even split a few years ago, I think.

As for Kane, sorry Spurs fans, but I'm not overly surprised. They have regressed over the last 2 years (you can argue it started, domestically, the yr they made the CL final, I do remember Edd saying Spurs had been **** the second half of that season) and I don't see there being any signs of them challenging for major honours next year either. Sad to see, but I think he has to go, if he wants to win stuff.
Apparently he wants to stay in PL, so either Manchester club or Chelsea then. No one else could afford him. Saying that he has 3(?) years left on his contract so Levy is hardly going to accept less than £150m. That's BIG money for a guy with dodgy ankles and a LOT of games in his legs. For that money you could get Mbappe or Haaland. The latter's agent aside, I would take either of those two, all day long, over Kane.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Real and Barcelona still get a bigger portion of TV money because of their high influence and they always finish at or near the top. Still think more should be done, that said it will take a decade probably to effect results on the pitch.

No way in a million years should Man Utd go for Kane, not that I don't like him, he's one of the best strikers in the world. But Man Utd need at least 3 players in other positions before we buy a striker and for all the reasons above, injury prone, 28 this year. Levy will demand £150 million. Some are saying a player plus money deal is on the cards, which could work.

What worries me is the Glazers spunking all our budget on Kane and be like look what we've done do you forgive us and all the fans will be like bloody right we do what a signing watch us win the league with Kane now! They will all go and buy the new shirt with Kane on the back lining the Glazers pockets even more. Next season Ole is forced to play a back 6 with Magaloof and McFred and And gets sacked by Christmas and the cycle starts again.

Man Utd need a centre back and a DCM just to get top 4 next season IMO.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It will be interesting to see what Kane does for sure. Kyle Walker has won a few trophies since moving, but is anyone in Manchester going to remember him in 20 years? No (except maybe for being the **** that kept breaking Covid rules.) Will anyone in Madrid care about Gareth Bale in 20 years? No. Alan Shearer has a statue outside Newcastle's stadium despite never winning anything with them, and that's the choice Harry has to make - become a club legend and be talked about like Jimmy Greaves etc, or win a couple of trophies at an oil money club and be forgotten in a decade.

Also apparently it's bollocks that he has asked for a move, Spurs have confirmed no transfer request has been made. That's not to say he doesn't want to go, but still...

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Real and Barcelona still get a bigger portion of TV money because of their high influence and they always finish at or near the top. Still think more should be done, that said it will take a decade probably to effect results on the pitch.

No way in a million years should Man Utd go for Kane, not that I don't like him, he's one of the best strikers in the world. But Man Utd need at least 3 players in other positions before we buy a striker and for all the reasons above, injury prone, 28 this year. Levy will demand £150 million. Some are saying a player plus money deal is on the cards, which could work.

What worries me is the Glazers spunking all our budget on Kane and be like look what we've done do you forgive us and all the fans will be like bloody right we do what a signing watch us win the league with Kane now! They will all go and buy the new shirt with Kane on the back lining the Glazers pockets even more. Next season Ole is forced to play a back 6 with Magaloof and McFred and And gets sacked by Christmas and the cycle starts again.

Man Utd need a centre back and a DCM just to get top 4 next season IMO.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I have said to all my Utd supporting mates. Kane is quality, every club would want him. BUT Utd have plenty of weaknesses in that squad and the money they would spend on him would fix at least two of them. I picked CB and RM, but DCM would be the other one.

edd_jedi said:
It will be interesting to see what Kane does for sure. Kyle Walker has won a few trophies since moving, but is anyone in Manchester going to remember him in 20 years? No (except maybe for being the **** that kept breaking Covid rules.) Will anyone in Madrid care about Gareth Bale in 20 years? No. Alan Shearer has a statue outside Newcastle's stadium despite never winning anything with them, and that's the choice Harry has to make - become a club legend and be talked about like Jimmy Greaves etc, or win a couple of trophies at an oil money club and be forgotten in a decade.

Also apparently it's bollocks that he has asked for a move, Spurs have confirmed no transfer request has been made. That's not to say he doesn't want to go, but still...

Fair point, I often wonder does stuff like that cross a footballer's mind though. Most are just concerned with money and the latest shiny thing.

I had heard he told the club he wanted to leave but that he hadn't handed in a transfer request. Yet. Whether that changes, who knows. Could all be bollocks as well.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Words fail me. How can your left back (Reguillon) score a volley AND provide an assist... in his own net!? In one game!!!??? We are the unluckiest team in football, bar none. The performance was pathetic, don't get me wrong, but this must make a dozen catastrophic mistakes he has made this season. How can ANYONE be worse than Danny Rose? Well he's managing it!

Never mind European football, St Totteringham day is coming this Sunday. How many points were Spurs ahead of Arsenal at Christmas, 15? It is unforgiveable to let that slip.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
That's Liverpool winning the CL next season! lol. Just trying to jinx it nice and early. lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom