Premier League 2020/2021 Thread

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Don't worry Man Utd aren't done yet, we stll want three more players apparently.

lejackal

Grand Master
https://theathletic.com/ Is on offer at a quid a month at the minute if anyone is interested. edd_jedi might even like the extra basketball coverage :!:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
See Liverpool got 2 pens handed to them, Leeds gave them a good game at least. Good start for Arsenal, this may be the season all the top sides get their act together. I doubt it though.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I saw bits of Arsenal game and the 1st half of Pool game. Arsenal looked ok, but no more. Mainly cos that was as good as they needed to be. Fulham looked like a newly promoted side who weren't quite up to PL pace. Pretty comfortable day for Arsenal.

Leeds gave Pool a great run for their money. That first pen was never a pen. It hits his thigh and bounces up, you can't give pens for that. The second pen was as close to stonewall as you get. Leeds had two disallowed as well, both correctly though.
Some of the defending was shambolic. VVD sells the puppies for Leeds' second, none of the Leeds CB's bother to mark Virgil in their own 6 yard box as he heads in Pool's second. TAA heads in to his own net when under limited pressure (disallowed for offside). FB's and CB's all over the shop on both sides. Great entertainment for the neutral. Not so much for Liverpool or Leeds fans.

If Leeds can play like that all season they will do very well though. Put Pool under a lot more pressure than a heck of a lot of other PL sides have managed in the last year.
Saying that, Norwich did something similar (admittedly at Carrow Road) in the first game of last season and look what happened there.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
And in today's episode of things that only happen to Spurs...

- Everton's first away victory against a top six side in 40 attempts (dating back to 2013)
- Jose's first ever PL opening game defeat

Stats aside, Spurs were **** today. I don't like to use the word, but there was just no quality. Alli looks like a clown whenever he goes near the ball, the decent player he was two or three seasons ago has gone. Son wasted what was easily the best chance of the whole game. And Everton's goal came from nothing, with one piece of quality that Spurs lacked the whole match.

On the plus side, I thought Doherty looked a lot better than Aurier has been in right back, I mean he actually made some clearences! :lol: and he had a decent chance to score too, on another day it could have been 2-1, that's just how it goes.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Opening games mean nothing, Man Utd beat Chelsea 4-0 last season on the opening weekend and I remember David Moyes beating winning 4-1 with Man Utd on the opening day........

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah I'm not too disheartned yet, With Jan gone and two new signings you can't expect the team to gel immediately. And I often dislike the start of the season because it usually means Arsenal are top of the table due to the alphabet :lol: it takes a few games for the table to take on any real meaning

lejackal

Grand Master
edd_jedi pictured earlier today :wink:

Attachments

• 0DCD02A7-48B6-4382-B029-45FE90ECA15C.jpeg
    0DCD02A7-48B6-4382-B029-45FE90ECA15C.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I keep hearing Jose bleating on about Spurs needing a new striker. They are supposedly after some guy who is on loan from Palace.
Now, firstly, I don't think Spurs need a striker. Kane, Son, Maura (however u spell it) and Bergwijn (no mission on spelling) is as good a front four, or as strong a front four as you will find outside the top two. Does signing some guy who couldn't get a game at notorious high scores Palace, improve that!?
From what I have heard Spurs looked, granted it was just 1 game, rusty/slow/unfit/poorly drilled/lost pick your favourite. Surely that implies they need an organiser, be it a CB or CM, but someone to keep people on their toes. That tends not to be a CF, by definition he is normally half a pitch away from his back four and unlike CB's who come up for corners, he tends not to be expected to drop back and help defend them.

Seems strange to me.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I didn't see them either, think they were pretty good from the reports I read. Should be a good game against Liverpool, they have a way to go though.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Bale and Reguilon to Spurs in the news this morning?! That would be awesome. Bale is the kind of player Spurs really miss, capable of that piece of magic from anywhere on the pitch. We might need them now that Arsenal have managed to hang on to Aubameyang.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
The whole Bale thing is tricky.

Wages aside, and he is on £600kpw after tax at Real so that's quite a big hurdle, it depends what Gareth Bale turns up.

If you get a motivated player who wants to show Real what they missed and stick two fingers up to Zidane then yeah, it may well be a good deal. Again, wages aside. BUT if you get the half assed lazy ****er who has barely played, or a player who finds he no longer has the motivation or ability to reach the very top level, two or three years of kicking your heals is gonna add a hell of a lot of rustiness to any player. It may mean he can play on for longer as he has fewer 'miles on the clock' but it may also mean he is never able to reach the heights he did before. It's a big gamble.

I would say it's the definition of "**** or bust". He will either be reinvigorated and look world class again or we will get a few glimpses of what he could do in between weeks and weeks or mediocrity and general half-assed-ness.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
You're absolutely right, the chances of getting the 2013 Bale back are slim. And he is getting on a bit now. But so are Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahmivoc etc, and I think Bale has the same potential to be decent for another few years yet.

When we had him, he was basically a one man team. We had nobody else of any quality, and were still pushing for top four. I can think of loads of games where he would score out of nowhere, sometimes from near the half way line. We could really do with that again - Kane is great at tap ins, Son is great at one on ones, but as others have noticed Spurs really struggle for creativity and spend most games just passing the ball around midfield. So he might be the long awaited cure for that. Might :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think Bale would be a good signing for Spurs, Real will pay half his wages if its a loan deal, but he wants a permanent move. Not sure if the money will be an issue for Spurs they need a signing like this.

2stripes

Jedi Master
Bale is shot, in my opinion. Dont know if its being on the sidelines for so long or he has fallen out of love with the game but I'd swerve signing him for my team (Everton) on some daft wage. I follow Wales, watch every game religiously but can take my dragon tinted specs off long enough to say that he isn't what he was. A large part of his game was athleticism and hunger but while (if you read the papers) the desire to play for his country is still there he has become bit of a sideshow in recent years. Post Euro 2016 he just rarely stands out in a Wales side that is undoubtedly talented but, given its age, Bale should be the stand out talent by a mile on the park every game he plays... often he is anonymous.

Everton have been losely linked but I would take a massive pass on signing him. Love what he did for the national side, but if I was Spurs I'd look elsewhere.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Tiago Alcantara to Pool looks a done deal.
Quite a lot of money for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract. Albeit he is a class act.
Regardless, he strengthens Pool's midfield which will definitely be needed this season as the big clubs and the Internationals will be playing Saturday-midweek-Saturday most weeks until April/May.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great signing for Liverpool, brilliant just what I want to see! Sounds like Bale is the perfect Jose signing 2stripes . Bale is certainly not the player he was, Real Madrid are partly to blame for that IMO.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
And it's official, Bale is back at Spurs! I'm really excited about this, even if he doesn't solve all our problems he's such a hero at the club, I'm sure any United fan would have loved to see Beckham in a red shirt one more time. It's a gamble for sure, but surely Spurs are due some luck!?

_114494682_gettyimages-1228585162.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom