Would you be collecting if it wasn't for Star Wars?

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
I think I probably would have at some point. I think I probably would. I always wanted Megatron as a boy and remember my mum spending 20£ to get one which was a lot back then and then felt massively guilty when I got it home. It was great though. I think I would have saved a fair amount of cash if Star Wars didn't exist, but probably would have started collecting transformers.

Is it something uniquely Star Wars that has pulled and is pulling in so many collectors or is it the collector in us?

Personally I think it's a bit of both. Nothing else amazed me as much as a child as seeing the films, it was magic, but I've always had a collecting instinct, bottles, stamps, cigarette cards and then nothing for years until I randomly bought an AT AT from Ebay then something just triggered within me and I went mental before steering towards Palitoy, Trilogos and more recently loose variants.

yoda

Sith Lord
I was similar to you I found myself with a collecting instinct. I remember one night on eBay looking at old StarwWars toys. I distinctly remember buying a Chewie figure just a one off. I displayed him for awhile and then as you say something clicked. I decided to try to buy anything I could find similar to my old toys I had owened as a child of starwars.
Now I have them I can't stop I am trying to buy all the figures mint to display along with the vehicles and ships. To be honest I don't think I will stop now until I have all the starwars toys which were available at that time period.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I loved my MAC mountain as a kid had all the MAC men and the cars and helicopter's, boats that went with them, suppose my mum outed them or gave them away, thank god the star wars and micronauts must have been out of reach in the loft as I still have them all. Would like to get the MAC stuff back so suppose it would be that, although don't think too much was produced so prob would not take that long, liked cyborg too. Best not to think to long about all this i'll have 0 money left and no room :D

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
:D sorry miss-read the thread thought it was, what would you be collecting if it wasn't for s w :D would always collect think its in your nature or not, nostalgia comes into it mostly

yoda

Sith Lord
I misread as well :D I used to build little models of planes and boats as a kid. I guess I probably would have started the building again. Maybe a large train set or something similar.

x-pack

Grand Master
Now that's a great ****ing question 8)

I honestly don't know because Star Wars is where all my collecting started. So who knows. This begs the question of what else would have filled the massive void if Star Wars never existed. The scary thing is that it could have so easily been that way had Lucas not got a deal signed. Or the toy line may have not existed, or been really crap if Kenner had passed on it.

Butterfly flaps it wings and all that stuff :shock:

mumbo

Sith Lord
For sure, throughout my life I've always collected something whether that be carless hubcaps (ages 9-12), zippo lighters (16-20) or coloured paperclips (25-30) to name but a few and now it's vintage Star Wars.

One thing is for certain when I am in my 60's I'll be on one of these programmes about hoarders shown in a house overrun by toot :lol: it's my destiny. Apparently it runs on the male side of the Duffy family.

Of all the things though Star Wars has been and is my biggest passion 8)

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
I already collect WW2 helmets, Vietnam kit, Action Man, SiFi Dinky and also did G1 Transformers so guess I would have just been a little better off or had a bit more space :wink:

spoons

Grand Master
Me too - Action Man, Britains Soldiers and Space and MAC (Good to see a fellow fan on here!). I collect all those to a certain degree but not to the level of SW - if I didn't have SW if have more of the other stuff :)

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
Guess if you have the collecting gene there will always be something you need :?

Loved Action Man collecting up until Alan Hall did his bit

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
its scary Spoons I collected Britains Space too, one of the only things you can still collect on the cheap, how big can you build them with multiple metal wings, connecters and the yellow plastic ball cars .. mad , had action man to but sold it all years ago can't keep it all or it would be the horder next door still return to vintage sw in the end though :D

lejackal

Grand Master
I used to run pubs and collected different glasses, beer mats and pump clips as well as anything that could be blagged from reps. Gave all that away though apart from one or two things. I still have about 20-30 different rugby shirts from various clubs although they don't all fit anymore :oops: Also had shed loads of Games Workshop stuff, massive 10000 plus point undead army, Blood Bowl teams galore, Eldar, various space marines and gave all that away as well. Don't anyone get too excited though, I'm far more attached to my SW stuff :D

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
I used to collect comics but sold them due to the space they took up.......I now have a vintage collection 10 times bigger and growing!

:lol:

lejackal

Grand Master
Pm
Dorsetmark said:
Used to collect pint glasses from my local too until the landlord got pissed off :D
I was the landlord so would only get pissed off if you nicked something I hadn't got :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm pretty sure Star Wars kicked off my collecting habit, but I do collect other non-SW things too so it's not exclusive.

spoons

Grand Master
bosk70 said:
its scary Spoons I collected Britains Space too, one of the only things you can still collect on the cheap, how big can you build them with multiple metal wings, connecters and the yellow plastic ball cars .. mad , had action man to but sold it all years ago can't keep it all or it would be the horder next door still return to vintage sw in the end though :D

Gary Smith is a MAC and Britains Space man too. Real quality toys - my kids love it too

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
I don't think I would to be honest. I collected Transformers, GI Joe, He Man as a kid on top of Star Wars but my heart was only ever with Star Wars - I've never had the urge to even check out vintage toys for those other lines.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
One of my daughters said to me the other day, when I found 25 vintage annuals I did not have at a charity shop in one go, from dr who , battle, to tv tornado,,, ow no !!,,, not more sh~t to get ride of when your gone :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom