Vectis Museum Sale

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Depends what MOCs they are - if they are high risk (eg POTF or Anakin tri-logo) which have a history of cracking easily, I would collect them. But Vectis do pack pretty well, to be honest there's very little you can do to stop a bubble cracking in transit.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Darthgulliver said:
Hi first time buying from vectis can you trust them to package items up careful and protect them for postage this might be a daft question but I have too nice MOCS and would rather collect if there's going to be a high risk of them getting damaged even though it's quite a drive.

I've always found their packaging to be 1st class, real care is taken that is for sure. Don't expect your wins quickly though ;)

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
SublevelStudios said:
Darthgulliver said:
Hi first time buying from vectis can you trust them to package items up careful and protect them for postage this might be a daft question but I have too nice MOCS and would rather collect if there's going to be a high risk of them getting damaged even though it's quite a drive.

I've always found their packaging to be 1st class, real care is taken that is for sure. Don't expect your wins quickly though ;)

Totally agree, packaging is 1st class, although expensive :?

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
wrighty said:
It's the middle of the night in most of America, I think they lost out there!!

TrisCompany said:
I was wondering if there were quite a few American bidders today, what with the pound dropping I thought that that might make some of these items more attractive to bidders in America and Eurozone.

It's been a while since I participated in a Vectis auction for this reason. Auction starts at 10:30 GMT, which is 5:30 ET where I live. Way early to get up just to have to overspend to get what I want.... :D

Ironically though, with work commitments for most people during the week, the 5:30 am start time is actually better for the Americans than you folks in the UK. Vectis should think hard about changing their start time. Perhaps evening time GMT would be best for all.

Get on it, Rich!!!! :lol:

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
And to address the comments that the hobby has become a rich man's game, to some extent that is true. But, a normal schmuck like me has purchased a few items worth several thousand USD the past year or so during these crazy times; grails that I never thought I would get. Am I rich? Not even close. I live a middle class existence and have three young kids and wife that is home with the kids. And those ****ers suck my cash at an alarming rate!!!!!!

So how did I do it?

I am always willing to sell things from my collection that are common or I can replace down the line when something rare (and unfortunately expensive) comes up. So the people paying thousands of quid for a Meccano Fett or a RFF may not be rich at all. They may just be willing to sacrifice some or a large part of their collection to get their grails. For some this is hard to do as they hate to part with anything in their collection, and I get that. But for me, I see my collection as a fluid creature that constantly moves and changes as my tastes change or opportunities to get items I never thought I would arise. It keeps it interesting IMO.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
I agree Ross ,

I got one of my grails earlier this year and I had to sell some off my collection to fund it , however every time you do it , your collection gets smaller :shock: :shock: :shock:

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Has anybody had their invoice through yet? Usually arrives within 24 hours. Phoned up and the incredibly unhelpful person who answered said I can't pay until I have the invoice.

I won a lot on Wednesday and was invoiced on Wednesday afternoon :eek: :eek: :shock:

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
steve obi wan said:
edd_jedi said:
Has anybody had their invoice through yet? Usually arrives within 24 hours. Phoned up and the incredibly unhelpful person who answered said I can't pay until I have the invoice.

Got no invoice so just phoned and put straight through to accounts and settled up
Never really had any problems with them

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
With regard to the packaging question and comments, I think it's excellent for MOCs and boxed. The only items I was a little disappointed with was a bulk lot of oddball, I got it cheap and they packed it as such... Nothing damaged, but none of the usual love and attention paid IMO

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Be warned they STILL don't wrap MOC bubbles and although they do a stirling job wrapping the bloody star case my trilogo Yoda burst through. I was annoyed and they refunded but then not to change their ways (I wasn't the first of their losses) is a bit baffling.

maxf

Jedi Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Be warned they STILL don't wrap MOC bubbles and although they do a stirling job wrapping the bloody star case my trilogo Yoda burst through. I was annoyed and they refunded but then not to change their ways (I wasn't the first of their losses) is a bit baffling.

My purchases have all arrived in beautifully wrapped star cases, but no packing inside the case at all, and nothing to protect the bubble.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
steve obi wan said:
I agree Ross ,

I got one of my grails earlier this year and I had to sell some off my collection to fund it , however every time you do it , your collection gets smaller :shock: :shock: :shock:

Smaller but definitely more interesting.

stormcab

Sith Lord
Anyone know what the deal would be for seller if they sell an MOC through Vectis, and on transit to customer who bought the item, the figure breaks through the bubble, usually due to yellowing? I'm talking more of graded items where Vectis simply can't protect the bubble.

Customer refunded?
Seller still gets paid?
Vectis are insured for this or they have to swallow the loss?

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Dannywhiteley said:
steve obi wan said:
I agree Ross ,

Smaller but definitely more interesting.

Bingo - as my collecting tastes have matured, I have been increasingly moving towards quality over quantity. collection is certainly downsizing in the process, but I am happy with where it is at. Still, it is pretty awesome to see a collection that is chock full of stuff. I guess I'll have to go to a buddy's house to see that. :lol:

kvavik

Jedi Knight
Ross_Barr said:
And to address the comments that the hobby has become a rich man's game, to some extent that is true. But, a normal schmuck like me has purchased a few items worth several thousand USD the past year or so during these crazy times; grails that I never thought I would get. Am I rich? Not even close. I live a middle class existence and have three young kids and wife that is home with the kids. And those ****ers suck my cash at an alarming rate!!!!!!

So how did I do it?

I am always willing to sell things from my collection that are common or I can replace down the line when something rare (and unfortunately expensive) comes up. So the people paying thousands of quid for a Meccano Fett or a RFF may not be rich at all. They may just be willing to sacrifice some or a large part of their collection to get their grails. For some this is hard to do as they hate to part with anything in their collection, and I get that. But for me, I see my collection as a fluid creature that constantly moves and changes as my tastes change or opportunities to get items I never thought I would arise. It keeps it interesting IMO.

Same here. There are ways of navigating a high end market, but it takes a lot of time, effort and sacrifice. More time one spends, the more luck one will encounter; finds in the wild, great friedns, etc. Very few can just bid and win the things they like.

olisuds

Sith Lord
Ross_Barr said:

So how did I do it?

I think you've summed up the situation well. Having some high end items doesn't mean you are flush with cash. I get people asking how I can afford to drop 5 figure sums on a pre production item and they've got wall to wall of 12 backs and other MOCs that are probably worth far more than my collection. They're purchasing new stuff every week. Where as I make a purchase every few months and most of the time it's a trade or partly funded by selling something else from my collection. My collection fits into a few draws now. I'm envious of the people that have whole rooms full of production stuff. But, there are very few people that have unlimited funds to keep buying high end stuff without letting other stuff go.

So i don't think it's about the hobby becoming a rich mans game however I do feel that the collecting mentality for some people these days seems to be more about winning a high end item specifically for the purpose of limelighting it and then selling it shortly afterwards. I have a feeling sometimes the item itself isn't even appreciated or bought for a particular reason or focus. And i'm not even talking about people doing this to make a profit as I'm sure that some are even selling them at a loss because they've overstretched their finances. What is very noticeable is that these days high end items (Revenge Boba Fett proofs for example) are exchanging hands quicker than they ever have before. I suspect that wouldn't be the case if rich people were actually winning these pieces.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom