Today on Facebook...

lejackal

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Mr-shifter said:
It's indoctrination

Facebook guys hype this thing up to be a monster. Any newbies (of which there are loads these days) get told it's a monster, they will loose their shirt, don't mess if you don't know what you are doing etc etc, and being new to the hobby they believe it all. They get told stories of fakes and cons and stay away. The propaganda machine on some groups works overtime to these ends.

The same guys spinning this yarn are buying off eBay every day to feed the Facebook groups with vehicle parts and other bits and bobs. Of course they want people to stay away. Despite all the posturing on Facebook, eBay is still the biggest vintage Star Wars marketplace in the world. It just requires a bit more knowledge than buying off a Facebook group. For some people this is too much effort.
I've bought off Jabba's Palace and got Repro in the auction. The guy commented on the post that I'd got a bargain. When I received it and said they're Repro he said the weapons weren't even meant to be in the photo and it was because his mrs took the shot. So either there is a lack of basic knowledge despite their no Repro stance, or just as many fakes and cons there too. eBay is still the best place as long as you ask the right questions.
Who was the seller?

subzero

Sith Lord
Apparently ebay buyers aren't real collectors according to facebook :lol: ...

Untitled.png

ODB

Jedi Master
Why is it on every single Facebook auction someone comes along and despite the bid increments being stated promptly doubles the auction price? Are there that many idiots out there willing to separated from their money so easily?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
ODB said:
Why is it on every single Facebook auction someone comes along and despite the bid increments being stated promptly doubles the auction price? Are there that many idiots out there willing to separated from their money so easily?
I'm sorry to say that the answer is yes!
As you have said, this happens almost every FB auction.

MarkG

Jedi Master
ODB said:

People just seem to think they are 'big' boys and are willing to pay whatever... plus sticking in that high bid stops other people bothering, so they win it..

They're probably the same guys that go into pubs tiolets and check out dick sizes too..

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I think you may be over dramatising this activity...

I have on many occasions popped a 'proper' bid in early on something I'm seriously interested in.

If a Kenner 12 back for example starts at £1 and has £1 increments, we all know it's worth more than a couple of hundred quid and it certainly isn't going to sell for £37, so I can't be bothered sitting and waiting for 200 x £1 increments to pass before we get to the real point of the auction, if the bidding starts at £1, then goes to £2, 3, 4 etc. I'll happily throw in a bid of £50 or £100 to get it moving 'properly'. In no way am I trying to be flash or looking at other guys small dicks while admiring my own little chopper. To my mind it just makes sense to not 'dick about' for want of a better phrase, its going to go as high or higher than my bid, what is the point in waiting.

Almost every FB auctions I've seen is based on minimum increments rather than fixed ones, so its not unusual (as per eBay) to see an auction jump in quite large blocks every now and again. I really don't see the issue...

ODB

Jedi Master
SAVORY100 said:

I have on many occasions popped a 'proper' bid in early on something I'm seriously interested in.

If a Kenner 12 back for example starts at £1 and has £1 increments, we all know it's worth more than a couple of hundred quid and it certainly isn't going to sell for £37, so I can't be bothered sitting and waiting for 200 x £1 increments to pass before we get to the real point of the auction, if the bidding starts at £1, then goes to £2, 3, 4 etc. I'll happily throw in a bid of £50 or £100 to get it moving 'properly'. In no way am I trying to be flash or looking at other guys small dicks while admiring my own little chopper. To my mind it just makes sense to not 'dick about' for want of a better phrase, its going to go as high or higher than my bid, what is the point in waiting.

Almost every FB auctions I've seen is based on minimum increments rather than fixed ones, so its not unusual (as per eBay) to see an auction jump in quite large blocks every now and again. I really don't see the issue...

Not really, if the market rate is £300 and the starting price is £200 and someone jumps the bid to £400 on the third bid they are either
a) dramatically thick
b) more interested in bragging rights
c) have no conception of money

It seems to pass people by that you don't reveal your hand until you have to.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
ODB said:
SAVORY100 said:

Not really, if the market rate is £300 and the starting price is £200 and someone jumps the bid to £400 on the third bid they are either
a) dramatically thick
b) more interested in bragging rights
c) have no conception of money

It seems to pass people by that you don't reveal your hand until you have to.

I'll repeat the basic bit for you just so we are clear:

If a Kenner 12 back for example starts at £1 and has £1 increments, we all know it's worth more than a couple of hundred quid and it certainly isn't going to sell for £37, so I can't be bothered sitting and waiting for 200 x £1 increments to pass before we get to the real point of the auction, if the bidding starts at £1, then goes to £2, 3, 4 etc. I'll happily throw in a bid of £50 or £100 to get it moving 'properly'

At no point did I mention going above market, at no point did I start throwing down £400 numbers... :roll: exactly as per my initial comment, I think you guys are over dramatising the issue.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Real life auctions go like this also. Its perfectly normal...

Also, overpaying at auction isn't limited to Facebook. It's been going on since time immemorial. People get caught up in the excitement and over pay.

Blaming every single fault of the hobby on FB is getting tiresome.

Richard_H

Grand Master
I agree with that.

Also agree with Steve,

If an auction starts at £1 and I think the item is worth £120 I don't want to piss about with £1 increments and will take it straight up to £75 ish to avoid the crap.

ODB

Jedi Master
SAVORY100 said:
I'll repeat the basic bit for you just so we are clear:

If a Kenner 12 back for example starts at £1 and has £1 increments, we all know it's worth more than a couple of hundred quid and it certainly isn't going to sell for £37, so I can't be bothered sitting and waiting for 200 x £1 increments to pass before we get to the real point of the auction, if the bidding starts at £1, then goes to £2, 3, 4 etc. I'll happily throw in a bid of £50 or £100 to get it moving 'properly'

At no point did I mention going above market, at no point did I start throwing down £400 numbers... :roll: exactly as per my initial comment, I think you guys are over dramatising the issue.

Thanks for the patronising it really shows that you are part of the problem.

lejackal

Grand Master
I'm sure Stephen will be along shortly to respond himself but Facebook auctions are not like eBay, you are not going to see a badly listed MOC go for a song.
If you have a £300 item being auctioned and you bid £200 how exactly are you part of the problem? You are simply progressing the auction to the business end of things where it will probably end up somewhere between £250 and £350.
Don't get me wrong, I do think some Facebook auctions do run high because of people egging each other on or because of two or more people dick swinging but I for one have never seen Stephen goading others to bid ever higher, nor have I ever seen him swinging his thing and beating his chest.
If you want bargains then scour eBay, local auctions, put up wanted ads, build your network, have the fastest finger or go for a spot of blind luck backed by collecting knowledge.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
ODB said:
Thanks for the patronising it really shows that you are part of the problem.
I don't know Steve Savory personally but he comes across as a hugely knowledgeable and generous guy, he's massively respected in this forum and in the community as a whole. I think he was simply reiterating a point clearly made, that was deliberately overlooked or misconstrued, and I'm pretty sure you're loco if you really think Steve's part of the FB problem.

wrighty

Sith Lord
I agree, I don't have all day sitting around to increase the bid a step at a time. If you read the posting it will say minimal increments so if the minimal increment is GBP1 then nothing stops you putting in GBP2 or GBP10 or GBP100. What's the big deal?? FB auctions often have no bargains, fact! :roll:

poncho

Grand Master
wrighty said:
I agree, I don't have all day sitting around to increase the bid a step at a time. If you read the posting it will say minimal increments so if the minimal increment is GBP1 then nothing stops you putting in GBP2 or GBP10 or GBP100. What's the big deal?? FB auctions often have no bargains, fact! :roll:
ive grabbed a couple of loose variant bargains in the past couple of years on fb auctions.

mumbo

Sith Lord
I think it's in the seller's interests to start the bidding low as that potentially invites more bids which makes their post more popular thus keeping it higher up the list?.................... unless I have FB all wrong!

Latest posts

Top Bottom