The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
An exciting final day.

Spurs - CL next season and the (joint) golden boot, what an achievement for a team that have had four managers in the last year and were inches away from losing Harry Kane last summer. Things were looking very bleak just a few months ago, but it's looking really positive now if we can keep Conte, Son and Kane, which seems likely with CL football. And what a signing Kulusevski has been, he was incredible again today. We have a few gaps to fill for sure, but I don't think Spurs are that far away from being competitive again.

In other news...

Liverpool - I thought you had it in the bag when City were 2-0 down at half time. Must be gutting to see them score three goals in the second half, it was within reach.

Arsenal - finished exactly where they deserved to IMO. Yes they have an exciting young team, and I'll be cheering on Saka for England in December. But they have an inexperienced manager and no world class players, so they have punched above their weight all season IMO, and it would have been a travesty if they finished fourth. A team on the up perhaps, but a long way to go.

West Ham - bad luck, I think you deserved sixth this season, United fluked it. On that subject...

United - is Ralf the worst manager in their history? As I said last week, that squad finishing below Arsenal (and arguably Spurs) is just criminal. How can they be so bad? I don't see Ten Hag turning it around any time soon.

A very enjoybable season and final day overall, with all the usual ups and downs.

lejackal

Grand Master
Can't say I'm not gutted, especially given who we've lost out to, but we should have taken our chances in one of the last two games before today. I'd definitely have taken 5th after the way the season started, now though it feels like an opportunity missed. We'll strengthen and be back in the hunt next year.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Can't say I'm not gutted, especially given who we've lost out to, but we should have taken our chances in one of the last two games before today. I'd definitely have taken 5th after the way the season started, now though it feels like an opportunity missed. We'll strengthen and be back in the hunt next year.
Yeah I think that applied to both teams this season, it wasn't quite the car crash of last season, and it just goes to show there aren't many easy games in the PL, but it makes no sense to beat City and then lose to Burnley, or in Arsenal's case beat Chelsea and then lose to Southampton. Obviously all teams have blips, but Arsenal and Spurs both have to improve concentration or whatever it is that constantly causes this inconsistency.

And yes likewise, I would have bitten your arm off for fifth at the start of the season.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
United are terrible, but I don't put any blame on Ralph Rangnick. Some of those players downed tools for Jose and Ten Hag will be there 4th manager. Not sure Klopp or Pep would get anything out of those players. They can't press, refuse to follow simple instructions and generally aren't good enough. At least 10 players leaving this summer and that won't be enough, but will do for a start.

Last edited:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I guess as Dele Alli proves, talent and commitment are two different things, United have suffered from that for sure.

lejackal

Grand Master
450F2A5C-FD46-4860-86A1-87424FDAD397.jpeg

Even the beeb know 😂

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
An exciting final day.

Spurs - CL next season and the (joint) golden boot, what an achievement for a team that have had four managers in the last year and were inches away from losing Harry Kane last summer. Things were looking very bleak just a few months ago, but it's looking really positive now if we can keep Conte, Son and Kane, which seems likely with CL football. And what a signing Kulusevski has been, he was incredible again today. We have a few gaps to fill for sure, but I don't think Spurs are that far away from being competitive again.

In other news...

Liverpool - I thought you had it in the bag when City were 2-0 down at half time. Must be gutting to see them score three goals in the second half, it was within reach.

Arsenal - finished exactly where they deserved to IMO. Yes they have an exciting young team, and I'll be cheering on Saka for England in December. But they have an inexperienced manager and no world class players, so they have punched above their weight all season IMO, and it would have been a travesty if they finished fourth. A team on the up perhaps, but a long way to go.

West Ham - bad luck, I think you deserved sixth this season, United fluked it. On that subject...

United - is Ralf the worst manager in their history? As I said last week, that squad finishing below Arsenal (and arguably Spurs) is just criminal. How can they be so bad? I don't see Ten Hag turning it around any time soon.

A very enjoybable season and final day overall, with all the usual ups and downs.
As for the title, nah. Genuinely not for a second did I think Pool had it. I had Utd fans texting me at 2-0 saying Pool were gonna win it (they said "fluke") but I never had any doubt City would win. They are just a class act.
I think I am right in saying Pool become only the second team in PL history to get 90+ pts and NOT win the title. The other time it happened was when City pipped ehhh Pool 3 yrs ago. Also by one point. But Pool are lucky, right!?
As for Arsenal, I heard someone on the radio saying they had choked. I'm more in @edd_jedi's camp. Had you offered them 5th at the start of the season they would have bitten your arm off. Yeah, it is disappointing to miss out having been so close, but 5th is still real progress.
Fair play to Spurs getting 4th too, and hard luck to WH. They definitely deserved EL more than Utd. I suspect the long season with a small squad cost them in the end. Possibly not signing a striker/anyone in Jan too.

As for Utd, going from (over achieving/being flattered by) 2nd, adding Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho and only scraping in to EL cos Brighton beat WH on the last day is frankly disgraceful. They came 6th in a four horse race for the title.

Ten haag has a huge job in his hands. Beyond DDG and Fernandes they need an entire new team in the next 2 yrs. Shaw MAYBE good enough, and a few others can be kept as squad players. But that's a massive ask. Even DDG has ropey distribution and Fernandes' form has nose dived this last 6 months.
Ohh and I didnt mention Ronaldo cos of his age. He is obv good enough but at 37/38 he won't be much use in 2 yrs. Fairs ****s to him, he did better than I thought he would this year, but his injuries are starting to become more frequent.

Not sure I'll miss Burnley and their shite brand of football. Nor do I think we'll see them back in the PL any time soon. As a result of their relegation they have to pay £65m of the loan taken out against their assets that allowed them to be bought over. Quite why the FA allow leveraged buy outs I do not know.

Ohh and no Thiago for Saturday's CL is a massive loss for Pool. If Fabinho isn't fit I would make real favourites.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's probably a bit too early to make the 22/23 thread, but some interesting signings for next season already. Spurs need a succession plan for 35 year old Hugo Lloris, so they sign... 34 year old Fraser Forster! :ROFLMAO: what is it with Spurs and elderly goalkeepers, why not get Brad Friedel back in the squad as well!?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Villa already having a good transfer window, Man Utd in for Timber, great young centre back. Yet to be seen as a 'top 4 centre back'. Man Utd in for a right back, a midfielder, winger and a centre forward…….Glaziers just taken another £10 million in dividends.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
**** YOU COURTIOUS!!!!

You would pick the CL final to have the game of your life. Wanker.
Of all the teams to lose to as well. Bar Utd, Real are my least favourite club in world football. They fluke past PSG. Get out played for 3 of the 4 halves by Chelsea. Fluke past City with 2 late goals and then score their one shot on target against Pool while their keeper gets MOTM and suddenly they are the greatest side the world has ever seen. Dead on. Luck like that won't stick around for long. Someone will give them the hiding they are due.

Gutted to lose. Even more gutted to lose to that lot. Pool weren't great but it is hard to break down a flat back ten. Especially with Courtious pulling off two or three top drawer saves. TAA switches off for 10 seconds, Real score and game over. ****.
Then Mane decides he wants a new "challenge" so he picks Bayern. A side that have won the Bundesliga 10 years on the spin. I see the challenge there :rolleyes:

Ohh and as for Real's disallowed goal. My understanding is it was the correct decision based on the laws. The touches from Pool players are not deemed as intentional, they are going for the ball not passing back, thus they don't count and Benzema is offside. But as football fan, that is bull ****. Those touches should have counted and the goal should have been allowed.

Real lost as many games in the CL as Pool lost all season. Real win the league and CL double, Pool get the FAC and Worthless Cup.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Real win the league and CL double, Pool get the FAC and Worthless Cup.
I've got to say as a neutral that considering how good they have been for the last few years, Liverpool didn't really show up in any of the finals. They scored no goals in either of the English cups and fluked the trophies with penalties, and didn't score in the CL final either. So not a terrible season on paper, but to score no goals in three finals is pretty shocking.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
It is and it isn't. The first final was one of those nil nils that could have been 3-3. I think I saw it described as one of the best nil nils in years. The second one wasn't a classic but then Chelsea aren't exactly a poor side and they have a decent back line.

The CL was Real sitting in and being hard to break down, looking to knick one on the break. It worked for them. They have a few decent players too.

I think it's more one of those weird statistical quirks that crops up from time to time. Like Utd's record run away from home last season, or their amazing number of penalties (I think and all time PL high). Weird stats that pop up every so often.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom