The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Jesus Utd that was appalling. I saw all but the first 20mins of that game and **** me, I'm 42 with two ruined hamstrings and I have never played a competitive game of football in my life, but I would have been more use.

In the first half Utd looked like a lower league side who had drawn a PL side and had no real idea how to compete. Okay, they looked like that against Pool and. City, but they are two of the best sides in Europe. Watford are newly promoted and not exactly setting the place on fire. Utd did look better in the second half, credit to VDB, he totally transformed them, but then Fat Maguire (who Ole said would prove his criritcs wrong) got a slightly harsh yellow followed by a totally deserved second 5 mins later. The second was 100% his own making and quite WTF he was thinming is beyond me. After that it was pretty much game over. Utd had a few chances but Watford had more.
That score line is an accurtae reflection of the game. If anything the '1' flatters Utd.

If Ole keeps his job now it can only be because the Board want to have a replacement lined up. Or dont want the new guy starting with Chelsea away. Chelsea looked bloody good in ripping Leicester apart in the early kick off, 3-0 and 3 more disallowed for off side.

I've said for a long time now, OGS was a poor appointment and he never looked quite right in the job. I think even the most die hard Utd fans have come to agree.

Who gets the job? Talk is Zidane, who has an amazing CL record and a mediocre domestic record. Not sure he would be my choice. Rumour has it his wife doesn't want to live in Manchester. Everyone knows my thoughts on Brendan, plus his side just got ripped apart by Chelsea. Ragnack or Ten
Haag, are the men you want. The latter being the ideal choice. So watch one of the first two get it.

Just been sent a link to BBC sport saying OGS has managed his last game. Just 3 yrs too late!

lejackal

Grand Master
FFS, I was hoping he'd at least last until we got to play them 😂

Fair play to pool yesterday, I don't even think we played that badly but there is a clear gulf between the sides, as the goal difference in the table suggested pre game. I still think we've a good chance of getting back into Europe though as our season does not hinge on the 6 games against Pool, City and Chelsea but rather the other 32

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
FFS, I was hoping he'd at least last until we got to play them 😂

Fair play to pool yesterday, I don't even think we played that badly but there is a clear gulf between the sides, as the goal difference in the table suggested pre game. I still think we've a good chance of getting back into Europe though as our season does not hinge on the 6 games against Pool, City and Chelsea but rather the other 32
Summed up well. You can judge Arsenal's progress in the games against the big 3, but ultimately you are competing against the rest for 4th and the EL spots. There's no shame in that, Arsenal are a side/club in transition and these things take time.

Bye bye Ole. I'm sad to see you go, you were doing such a good job. Here's hoping Steve Bruce or Wazza gets the job now.
One thing is very clear, the Utd Board had no contingency plan in place and are suddenly scrambling around trying to figure out what to do. You really couldn't run a club worse if you tried/let me do it!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm so angry, the lack of planning by the owners, board and Woodward is a complete joke. I saw a good stat, 90% of the coaching staff have been relegated before being given roles at Man Utd.

Out of the CL tomorrow night.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It wouldn't be so bad if you end up with Poch! I would be a bit jealous to be honest.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I just want the club to have a proper coach for a change, we now have a coach with zero experience. I think Poch will happen, it suits PSG as they will end up with Zidane who has a great record in the CL. I've always been on the fence about Poch, not sure he's got what it takes to get into the Klopp, Pep bracket and feel he's already hit his ceiling. He should have won the league with Spurs the year Leicester did and his Spurs team didn't really turn up in the CL final against Liverpool. I'm willing to back him when he does take the job and he's probably one of the top 5 choices for me.

Last edited:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes agreed he blew it with Spurs, he is still relatively young so hopefully it was just a lack of experience (although obviously not in the same league pf no experience as Ole/Frank/Gerrard/Rooney etc!)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Out of the CL tomorrow night.
Or not. But that was pretty piss poor. Very second best for 65mins and then get a slightly fortuitous one, their CM should have been able to hold Fred off. Still, I suspect you'll take it.
I just hope you don't draw Bayern in the nxt round (country protection rules out, Pool, City and Chelsea if they win their group)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Very pleased to go through, something to hold onto. Not looking foreward to Chelsea at the weekend, especially rudderless. lol

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Very pleased to go through, something to hold onto. Not looking foreward to Chelsea at the weekend, especially rudderless. lol
Group winners. Despite being second best in ehhhh pretty much every game you have played in the CL so far.

Utd will be the group winners every runner up wants to draw. Them and whoever wins the farce of a group with Sevilla and Lille in it.

Ohh and yeah, good luck against Chelsea.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Man United would be out of the CL without De Gea and Ronaldo, never going deep in that competition but the best thing is we have no Europa League next year. A lot can change between now and February. Although all the owners have done so far is sack 25% of the coaching staff, the other 3 are still training the first team. They need to go as well.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Looking at the sides due to come second in the CL, there is no one you would fear, bar PSG and MAYBE Juve. The rest are very beatable. Assuming that Utd get their arse in gear by Feb, I wold expect all four English sides to make the quarter finals. Assuming they avoid PSG.

Dortmund out, and Barca out in all but name (they are not winning in Munich, their only hope is Benfica don't beat the group whipping boys).

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Rangnick confirmed as interim manager at Man Utd, interesting appointment indeed. Some players are in for a short sharp shock. Let's see what happens with the back room staff, certainly the best football mind in the club, which is a step forward...........

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
6 month contract with the option of 2 years as a consultant. I'm ready that as effectively a Director of Football cos whoever Utd have, is it Darren Fletcher? is as much a D.O.F as I am Miss World. It does look, on paper, like a good appointment. Which is very un-Utd. There's no guarantee it will work of course.

Rangnick likes a high tempo counter pressing style. Very much like Klopp. I don't know how he fits Ronaldo into that system. I'm not sure you can have a system where 9 men press and one stands about waiting to be given the ball. That tends to result in teams exploiting the gap left by the one, or the other 9 getting run into the ground and the team getting picked off late in the game. We'll see. Interesting ties ahead for Utd anyway.

As for Spurs last night. I didn't see the game, but it sounds like it was as bad as the score line would suggest. Losing away to the 6th best side in Slovenia and the weakest team in the competition (apparently)......Only Spurs.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Can anyone explain why Messi won the Ballon D'or again this year? Has it just become a lifetime achievement award that he and Ronaldo share?

lejackal

Grand Master
Can anyone explain why Messi won the Ballon D'or again this year? Has it just become a lifetime achievement award that he and Ronaldo share?
It's the award for financially crippling your team and instead of being reasonable with your salary to give a bit back going to milk another cash cow

weasel

Staff member
Supporter

Yeap, I was amazed he won. No doubt about his talent but what does Lewandowski have to do to win it? He scored more goals than Messi and the year before, when they didn't give won, he won every club competition Bayern entered.

Messi is one of the greatest talents we'll see, but he wasn't even in the top 3 players over the last year.

Even more ridiculous than that Lukaku came 12th.
He's not even the 12th best player at Chelsea FFS

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom