The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think too many people will be upset if club's are now forced to play if they have 14 fit players (inc a keeper) or if only covid cases count towards absentees.
Yep, I bet I know when that new rule will be first enforced, when Spurs try to postpone the rearranged Arsenal fixture due to Covid cases

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Odegard (covid) is fit again and in training, Mari has gone to Udinese and Kalashnikov has gone to Marseilles. Partey finished Afcon Tuesday evening so I assume won't make the team tonight but who knows. From the training pics released yesterday theres no Saka, Smith-Rowe or Gabrielle. Xhaka is suspended and we've recalled a bunch of loan players, most of which are still at Arsenal until at least next week, including the Cats cousin/nephew(?) so expect plenty of this up front tonight….View attachment 172912
Brilliant! Gotta love a bit of Red Dwarf.
I like the spelling of yer man who has gone to Marseilles as well.

lejackal

Grand Master
Brilliant! Gotta love a bit of Red Dwarf.
I like the spelling of yer man who has gone to Marseilles as well.
Here are the official line-ups.

Arsenal: Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney, Lokonga, Odegaard, Smith Rowe, Saka, Martinelli, Lacazette

Subs: Hein, Holding, Alebiosu, Tavares, Partey, Patino, Salah-Eddine, Nketiah, Biereth

Liverpool: c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t, c**t

Subs: And 8 other c**ts

I mean I could've written 'Liverpool to follow' but that would be bordering on mature and, err…….

lejackal

Grand Master
Congratulations to Liverpool. Good start by us I thought, needed to take the early chances really. Partey looked every bit like he'd flown in at lunchtime (which he had) when he came on before getting sent off 🙄

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I said the same, on Partey, to an Arsenal supporting mate. He looked every bit the player who was in Africa yesterday morning and rusty/jet lagged to ****. Fair play to him for the commitment to playing etc. I don't/won't knock that. The second tackle was a poor one though, and probably one he didn't need to make. But jet-lag etc cuts him some slack.

You summed the game up well. Arsenal started like a house on fire and, yes, they probably needed to capitalise on that. Once Pool scored there was a slight inevitability about the out come. The second killed it. And **** me that was a tight call.

I did see "Arteta out" trending on Twitter. Seems harsh. WTF do those people expect? Arsenal are still in transition, there are a few bodies they need shot of (Aubamayang and Xhaka, on that note WHO THE **** gave him, Aubamayang, that huge contract and how soon after were they fired?) and a squad that needs strengthened in a few areas. But there are signs of progress. I don't want to sound patronising, but Liverpool are a step above where Arsenal are ATM and there was/is no shame in losing to them over 2 legs. IThere are four sides who have squads that are better than the rest, The 2 Manchester clubs, Pool and Chelsea, they also have stable clubs, and 3 of them have decent managers. The fact Arsenal (and Spurs) are in a genuine race for 4th, and possibly 3rd with 2 of those sides and WH, says to me that they (Arsenal, and Spurs/WH) are doing ok. Sure cup exits are disappointing, but who would really do a massively better job with that Arsenal squad?

On that note, I had a look at Arsenal and Spurs games in hand. Fook me they ain't easy games. Arsenal have Chelsea (A), Spurs (A), Wolves (H) and now Pool (H) cos of League cup final. Spurs have Brighton (A), Burnley (A), and Arsenal (H). Is there another Spurs game TBC?

Arsenal first, that's games against 4 of the top 8, and 2 of the top 3. Plus a Norf Laaandan derby. No easy points there.
Spurs' games look easier on paper but a lot depends when they are scheduled. If Burnley is later rather than sooner, they could be playing a team fighting for their lives. Or they could be playing a team who are already down. Brighton could be fighting for a European spot, or be on the beach. Then there's the derby game.

I can see 4th, 5th, 6th and possibly 3rd and 7th, being very close this year. I do fancy Chelsea to sort themselves out, but I hope they don't. I do worry about WH slipping away with the European footy taking its toll, albeit I would like to see them (or indeed anyone) make the CL at Utd's (or Chelsea's) expense.

lejackal

Grand Master
Don't get me wrong when we were getting battered at the start of the season I started to have doubts about him but fair play, they got the transfer business done, replaced half the starting 11 and built up a bit of momentum.
I'd love to be rocking up at Anfield etc expecting to win but that's not realistic yet, pool are a good four years ahead in terms of development. We've closed the gap but just looking at the goal difference of the top 3 vs the rest shows how far there is to go.
I hadn't looked at the various games in hand to be honest, points on the board are more important than games to play. We'll all drop points between now and May and the best thing any arsenal fan can do is be supportive. No one thinks this is the invincibles reborn but they deserve to have the chance to grow together.
At the start of the season I'd have taken 6th, right now I can dare to dream about 4th, maybe even 3rd and push come to shove I'd rather be in the mix and just fall short than not even be in the race.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well that's a new VAR rule on me - apparently if the ref diasallows a goal because he thinks he saw a foul, they don't have to review it. What the ****!? There was nothing wrong with Kane's goal there, and they didn't even look at it.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's a fun stat. In the last six weeks, third placed Chelsea have dropped 15 points because they couldn't beat:

Burnley (20th)
Everton (16th)
Brighton (9th) twice!
Wolves (8th)
West Ham (5th)
Manchester United (4th)
Liverpool (2nd)
Manchester City (1st)

Yet they can be bothered to beat Spurs, who can mathematically go above them into third if they win their games in hand, THREE times in a fortnight.

And after having yet another perfectly good goal disallowed, the cheating bastard who got it chalked off by diving scores. I think we would have got a draw today if not for that bizarre decision, in fact I think we've played pretty well in all but one half of these three matches, the results do not reflect the performances.

On the plus side, we have just extended the contract of our elderly goalkeeper who casually watched the first goal sail over his head into the net :confused:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Well that's a new VAR rule on me - apparently if the ref diasallows a goal because he thinks he saw a foul, they don't have to review it. What the ****!? There was nothing wrong with Kane's goal there, and they didn't even look at it.
Gotta say I thought that was a foul all day long.

Kane shoves him. Harry Kane is a dirty bastard, but he is very clever about it. The tackle in the Pool game aside. He knows exactly when to foul people and then he squeals like a girl and gets a free or gets off with it. The freekick, or was it a pen?, against Brighton last year where he back in to Lallana while Lallana is in the air is a prime example. That was a foul BY Kane, but Mr England captain squeals and get the free. I have seen far too many questionable calls go Harry Kane's way to have any sympathy for him. But I do, genuinely, think that was a foul. I have seen them not given, it wasn't 'stonewall' but it was a foul for me.

Ohhh and I missed the second half of the Pool game and haven't seen MOTD2 yet, but it sounds like Pool's penalty was a joke. Plus coming when it did it killed the game.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I guess it's one of those where you'd want it given if it's your team and not if it isn't, but what I didn't understand is why they didn't even look at it. Surely if there is even a shred of doubt about a goal decision, it needs to be reviewed? According to the commentators that only happens if the goal is given, not disallowed. Even Gary Neville thought it was a goal, and he hates Kane/Spurs!

lejackal

Grand Master
Gotta say I thought that was a foul all day long.

Kane shoves him. Harry Kane is a dirty bastard, but he is very clever about it. The tackle in the Pool game aside. He knows exactly when to foul people and then he squeals like a girl and gets a free or gets off with it. The freekick, or was it a pen?, against Brighton last year where he back in to Lallana while Lallana is in the air is a prime example. That was a foul BY Kane, but Mr England captain squeals and get the free. I have seen far too many questionable calls go Harry Kane's way to have any sympathy for him. But I do, genuinely, think that was a foul. I have seen them not given, it wasn't 'stonewall' but it was a foul for me.

Ohhh and I missed the second half of the Pool game and haven't seen MOTD2 yet, but it sounds like Pool's penalty was a joke. Plus coming when it did it killed the game.

lejackal

Grand Master
I guess it's one of those where you'd want it given if it's your team and not if it isn't, but what I didn't understand is why they didn't even look at it. Surely if there is even a shred of doubt about a goal decision, it needs to be reviewed? According to the commentators that only happens if the goal is given, not disallowed. Even Gary Neville thought it was a goal, and he hates Kane/Spurs!
I'm surprised you didn't get the traditional VAR "England Captain, Harry Kane" response as he gets away with assault again 😉😂

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, that's not a penalty.

I didn't realise VAR didn't look at it. I didn't see the game, just the non goal. That does seem strange. But then it's VAR.

Watford have sacked Ranieri after 3 months :ROFLMAO:

Not in the least surprised. It was a bad appointment from the off and he was doing a shite job. Uncle Woy to take over. He's actually a surprisingly sensible appointment, he has experience and will be happy enough with a short term contract. He makes a lot more sense than the muppet's suggestion of Steve Bruce or Fat Sam. I would assume Woy is there until the end of the season with an option for next season, probably contingent on them staying up.

Ohh and Spurs are after Traore from Wolves. Fort 15-20m, that's just slightly less than the £60m Pool were quoted 18 months ago!
Although Conte wants to play him as a wingback. Ehhh he is big and fast, but he is no ****ing defender. (Cue Edd pointing out neither are any of Spurs current "defenders")

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
And apparently they're going to appoint Hodgson! I've always liked him, but surely he's too old now. Why not Fergie!?

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Absolutely crazy. Should've stuck with the guy they had at the beginning of this season- was doing OK. Think some of these teams have delusions of grandeur. Where should Watford be, realistically? It's like when Swansea sacked some of their managers, when they were doing well in the Prem. You're SWANSEA, not Man City!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom