Fat Sam gets the England job

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Hardly a surprise, it's been on the cards for a few weeks now but **** me that is an absymally shite appointment.

Whoever appointed him in the FA should be sacked. He will take England backards at a rate of knots. Long ball soul destroying football it is. I bet Jack wiltshire is rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of watching the ball sail aimlessly overhead solidly for 90 mins.
Watch Shearer, Ian Wright and all the other retarded knuckle dragging "proper football men" congratulate the FA on the appointment. That alone should confirm for them they have made the WRONG appointment.

Still Sam's English, apparently that's ALL that matters. :roll: :roll:

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Disgusting state of affairs. The whole Englishman to manage the England team is utter bullshit. Look at Rugby (a game I despise BTW), they worked out if you want to win the pool of English managers is not good enough, get an expert manager/coach in that has a track record of winning (or at least competing) and guess what... they start winning stuff!

Fat Sam has won what in his career exactly??? Real winning mentality?

Sigh... :roll:

ODB

Jedi Master
Glad to see others have a low opinion of 'Big Sam' as well. Charlatan of a manager and little more than a route 1, pack your team out with big players, kick them off the park guy whom tactics are something wot don't belong here.

The phrase laughing stock springs to mind.

jackabina

Sith Lord
I'd have tried harder for Wenger..........anything to get the skin Flint out of the Emirates!

poncho

Grand Master
id like too see ian holloway be boss

hes liked by the players
and he tells it how it is and tells the media what he thinks of about them

long ball old fashioned sam! oh dear...hes go to be better than taylor and mcclaren ever were

Section 8

Sith Lord
Could the odd long ball be any worse than watching us meaninglessly pass it back and forth in front of the opposition defence with no clue or guile to break even the shittest defences down. Our tournament was crying out for us to get the ball forward quicker, but the same old slow predictable passing patterns emerged. We managed a massive 4 goals in 4 games against top teams like Wales, Russia, Slovakia and Iceland.

Leicester won the league playing a mix of passing and direct balls and they can hardly be slated for not playing good to watch effective football. Give the guy a chance as he will have better players at his disposal rather than your run of the mill mid table, relegation avoiding average joes.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I'm not a fan of Allardyce at all, but who should they have appointed? I think I'd like to have seen Hoddle with a decent backroom staff (and, more importantly, someone who's decent at man-management), but even then I'm not sure that would've gone well. Other than that I really can't think of anyone - it says it all when people are talking seriously about Steve ****ing Bruce getting the job. :shock:

The England job's a poison chalice more than ever these days. We've been a crap side for a long time, so what decent manager is going to want to take us on? It seems the players are scared to death of putting a foot wrong and have zero confidence when wearing the three lions, yet these same players had fantastic domestic seasons. It needs someone capable of organising them, having a plan B (then again some previous managers didn't even seem to have a plan A!) and instilling confidence in them. Is that Allardyce? He's capable of turning round shite teams in the Prem, but do the FA see it a s a long-term strategy?

Whilst I agree that it shouldn't be restricted to English/British only, no way would I give it to Wenger. I don't see anything happening at Arsenal to inspire me with any confidence in him progressing England.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Section 8 said:
Could the odd long ball be any worse than watching us meaninglessly pass it back and forth in front of the opposition defence with no clue or guile to break even the shittest defences down. Our tournament was crying out for us to get the ball forward quicker, but the same old slow predictable passing patterns emerged. We managed a massive 4 goals in 4 games against top teams like Wales, Russia, Slovakia and Iceland.

There is a MASSIVE difference between getting the ball forward quicker (which, i agree England needed to do) and the horrible long ball shite Fat Sam plays. The Utd team of Giggs and Beckham got the ball forward quickly, but they didn't play long ball. Ditto the Liverpool side of Sturridge and Suarez. In fact the latter is probably a superb example of fast, bloody effective, counter attacking. THE ONLY tactic Sam knows is hoof long balls at a big target man and pick up the pieces. Now, I admit there is a time when that is an effective tactic. It's something England could have done in the last 15 against Iceland, BUT it should never be your default tactic from minute 1.

Section 8 said:
Leicester won the league playing a mix of passing and direct balls and they can hardly be slated for not playing good to watch effective football. Give the guy a chance as he will have better players at his disposal rather than your run of the mill mid table, relegation avoiding average joes.

Eehhhhh, did you watch Leicester last year? It was effective, but I don't recall anyone EVER saying it as good to watch. Quite the opposite. They got results but by god they were awful to watch.

peekaygee73 said:
I'm not a fan of Allardyce at all, but who should they have appointed? I think I'd like to have seen Hoddle with a decent backroom staff (and, more importantly, someone who's decent at man-management), but even then I'm not sure that would've gone well. Other than that I really can't think of anyone - it says it all when people are talking seriously about Steve ****ing Bruce getting the job. :shock:

Hoddle could never have got the job. You can't sack a man for his comments about disabled people and then ten years later after he has done literally nothing in management, come back and reappoint him. Ignoring his lack of managerial experience in the last ten years, given how overly PC the world has become there was no way the FA could appoint anyone who has openly stated he thinks disabled people are paying the price for sins in a previous life.

I do agree the pool of potential English managers was minuscule. The best appointment would probably have been Eddie Howe, but it's far too early for him. But why not try a non English manager. Cut the Xenophobic BS and appoint someone who wasn't born in England. Not as if English mangers have a good record in the ENGLISH PL. It's NEVER been won by an English manager. That speaks for itself. Ohh and before anyone harps up with "that's cos of all the foreign managers in the PL now." There weren't that many when it started and the English managers still struggled.

peekaygee73 said:
The England job's a poison chalice more than ever these days.

True dat. Mainly it's due to the media and the muppets like Shearer and Ian (never) Wright. They hype England up before every tournament, talking about how they could win it and how many "world class" players they have. When in fact you have a long shot, at best, and if you're lucky 2 players who would make the team of the eventual winners. Yet EVERY SINGLE ****ING TOURNAMENT it's the same "we can win it, no one will wanna play England with X,Y,Z in the team, we're one of the teams to avoid." ****ing wise up.
Then when you don't win it, those same media pundits turn round and slate everyone involved, the manger is suddenly a Wally with a brolly, a Swede etc and the players are all over paid, over pampered, spoilt brats who don't care about their country blah blah blah.
I don't remember England winning anything when Shearer or Wright played, but you listen to them and you'd think they had a collection of World Cup winners medals at home.
Shearer even had the nerve to say that no one in the FA had asked him for his opinions. Why the **** would they Alan? You won nothing as a player for England, won 1 PL title 20 years ago (football has change a bit since then Alan) and your record as a manager is beyond pathetic. Do you want the FA to ask every single ex England international? Or every player whoever won a PL title? Maybe they could ask anyone who the World Cup on Championship Manager?

Watch in two years when England get humped how quickly Shearer and Wright turn round and castigate the FA for not appointing the most qualified candidate/chasing Wenger or some other foreign coach. Conveniently forgetting it was THEY who led the calls to appoint someone based purely on their nationality.

Sorry, but when you allow xenophobic barely literate retards to dictate the criteria for appointing your next manager, you get exactly what you deserve. A retard.

Can you tell i'm not impressed by this appointment and don't like Shearer and Wright? Lol

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think it's such a bad decision. I can't think of a better English candidate. He'll sort out the shocking attitude of most of the squad and at least get a proper system set up that will make us harder to beat. He won't be pressured into picking players who aren't on form, not fully fit or who play for the 'right club'.

He is capable of getting teams playing good football. Bolton were actually pretty decent to watch for a couple of years, and up until Christmas season before last, the Hammers were playing excellent football. Sunderland were decent at times too- wingers bombing on, Defoe scoring freely. Not all your typical long ball stuff. Trouble is, as soon as a couple of results go wrong, he does have a tendency to revert to type.

I don't really like him, but given the mess we're in, and the alternatives, I think he's a decent pick. He'll be way better than Hodgson, Capello and Mclaren, that's for sure.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wouldn't have been my choice that's for sure, but I don't really care to be honest. It says it all when the other candidate was Steve Bruce, you never no though we might qualify for the World Cup. :?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Cazza, I could not disagree more with the vast majority of that post.

Cazza said:
I don't think it's such a bad decision.

Yes it is! It's an utterly dreadful appointment.

Cazza said:
I can't think of a better English candidate.

WHY does the candidate have to be English? Serious question. Please explain to me why the England manager has to be English. You don't see people in Manchester complaining when Utd/City appoint a foreign coach. Sven wasn't exactly a massive success, but he did a dam sight better than the last two English managers you've had!

Cazza said:
He'll sort out the shocking attitude of most of the squad and at least get a proper system set up that will make us harder to beat.

No he won't.

Cazza said:
He won't be pressured into picking players who aren't on form, not fully fit or who play for the 'right club'.

Yes he will. Albeit he may pick Andy Caroll and Mark Noble. Possibly he won't pick Wiltshire but then only 3 people thought Wiltshire should have gone to the Euro's, Woy, Wiltshire himself and Wiltshire's mum!

Cazza said:
He is capable of getting teams playing good football.

NO HE IS NOT! Sorry, but that's (I'm being diplomatic here) the most wrong I've ever seen anyone be.

Cazza said:
Bolton were actually pretty decent to watch for a couple of years

No they weren't. Jay Jay Okocha was, the rest of them were hatchet merchants and plodders. In general they were a woeful side to watch.

Cazza said:
and up until Christmas season before last, the Hammers were playing excellent football.

Funny all I remember is the WH fans campaigning to get him out cos he didn't play the WH way, as they flirted with relegation after a few half decent results at the start of the year. Cue tv pundits warning WH fans to be careful what they wished for and telling them they didn't realise how good they had it. Then Bilic showed them what utter shite the "proper football men" pundits were talking.

Cazza said:
Sunderland were decent at times too- wingers bombing on, Defoe scoring freely. Not all your typical long ball stuff.

We must have a VERY different definition of "decent". ALL Sunderland did was hoof it long for Defoe to run on to.

Section 8

Sith Lord
"THE ONLY tactic Sam knows is hoof long balls at a big target man and pick up the pieces."

As you say Sunderland played with Defoe up front, so hardly a big target man. Sunderland are a poor team so they are bound to look poor whoever is managing them.

As for Leicester I thought they were positive and always forward thinking which I find good to watch and I doubt any Leicester fans will agree with you. They did win the premier league after all. I'm all for good passing football but can be dreadful when the team passing has no idea what to do other than keep possession like England. I'd watch anything but that again which we've had and failed with for the last 20 years. Sad to say but our tournament was crying out for an Andy Carroll type player as an alternative. France, Germany and even Wales played with target men and look where it got them.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Section 8 said:
"THE ONLY tactic Sam knows is hoof long balls at a big target man and pick up the pieces."

As you say Sunderland played with Defoe up front, so hardly a big target man. Sunderland are a poor team so they are bound to look poor whoever is managing them.

As for Leicester I thought they were positive and always forward thinking which I find good to watch and I doubt any Leicester fans will agree with you. They did win the premier league after all. I'm all for good passing football but can be dreadful when the team passing has no idea what to do other than keep possession like England. I'd watch anything but that again which we've had and failed with for the last 20 years. Sad to say but our tournament was crying out for an Andy Carroll type player as an alternative. France, Germany and even Wales played with target men and look where it got them.

Oh aye, leicester were effective. No arguments here. I just didn't find them good to watch. They were better to watch than LVG's Utd, but that's like saying stubbing your toe is better than dying.
I do agree passing for the sake of it is dull and bloody frustrating to watch. Arsenal on a bad day are no fun to watch. Unless you support Spurs or whoever is beating Arsenal at the time.

Agreed on Carroll. I think in one of my rants on the Euros thread i mentioned how England could have done with him. There is a time and a place for hoof it into the box football. It's just not the first minute!

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Big Sam is the perfect choice for England manager at the current time

The international game is very different from that needed at a club level. A coach like a Wenger or a Howe, with a style defined by hours on the training pitch, would find it difficult in the international game with limited training time. The international game is not about developing players, that is the job of the club. The international game is much more simplistic in nature: the only thing an international manager must do is deliver results.

Above you've all held Sam as a long ball merchant, a defensively-minded coach whose "19th century football" (to use the famous José Mourinho quote) is very much belonging to a bygone era. Yes, at times his route to goal may not necessarily be picturesque but at the end of the day, it is the winners of trophies who go down in history. Portugal have proven in recent weeks that teams which are organised, well-drilled, and determined can win at tournament football. Aside from the Portuguese side, Iceland, Wales, and Italy were not the most free flowing attacking sides you've ever seen but their emphasis on organisation saw them through.

Allardyce would bring organisation to the England team that was lacking under Hodgson. He plays the percentage game, delivers crosses, likes deploying a target man, and constructs organised teams defined by a very simple game plan. Hence why a coach like Wenger or Howe probably wouldn't be the most functional at international level. Also, at the very least, Allardyce's organised percentage play is at least a game plan to follow, very much suited to the one-and-done nature of international tournament football, how can that be anything other than a positive? Never relegated from the Premier League, Allardyce has never left a club in a worse state than when he entered it and has the best proven track record of all the realistic contenders for the England job.

They don't call him Big Sam for nothing, and his domineering persona and character would be a welcome change from the tepid Hodgson. If he wants to play Andy Carroll over Marcus Rashford, he will and may whoever cross him about it be damned.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
In a year, 18months, two years time someone will ressurect this thread and some of us are going to be gloating and saying "told you so" while the rest hang their heads in shame.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah this is inspireing stuff I can really see big Sam leading England to the next World Cup final in Russia. :roll:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom