Countries - who got what back in the day ??

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Was the UK the only country to get Palitoy stuff ??

I remember as a kid having many a Palitoy logo carded figure and seeing them in the shops, but I'm sure here in the UK we got Kenner as well ?? Or am I wrong :?

Remember seeing Trilogo's and POTF stuff with coins here in the UK, but did the USA get Trilogo's or was it only Europe?

Never saw 3 packs in the UK, I assume they were US only :?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Kenner cards were released in the uk from Jedi onwards not sure about empire or Star Wars cards thow.......?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
My very limited knowledge but Tri logos were released UK, France Spain Italy and Netherlands not US
But as the sales hit lows think they ended up in US as sell offs like they were here " two for £1"
I've seen TL with Kay-Bee stickers

Palifan

Sith Lord
There seem to be a lot of Kenner ESB card backs that made it into the UK, that's how many of us growing up ended up with orange snake Yoda's. I'm guessing they were sent here to meet the demand and I've seen quite a few members on here with Kenner ESB figures in their collections from back in the day, no Star Wars though.

Ian

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Yeah I though here in the UK we did get some Kenner stuff

I assume also we were the only country to have Palitoy though - we were lucky little people :wink:

Just remembered, although no 3 packs here, definitely remember the ROTJ two packs - with horror if anything, thinking they looked like cheap crap that no one in their right mind would buy back in 1985 :lol:

Joe

Grand Master
Kenner most definitely exported stock to Europe. Even the earliest stuff like 12back figures were sent over to us to help with demand, there are loads of first hand accounts of kids getting Kenner figures here in England and plenty of UK price stickered Kenner cards to confirm that.

I would imagine people are more familiar with Kenner exports from the ESB/ROTJ era though. You had everything from ESB Kenner figures being stickered up in Italy with Harbert offers to ROTJ Kenners with Clipper offers put on them for distribution in the Netherlands/Belgium.

Talking of Clipper and a little off topic but the ESB cards with the white printed Clipper offer at the top were apparently produced by Palitoy and sent to Clipper which is a good example of certain companies producing for their "sister" companies in other countries.

Towards the end of the line everything became overstock and there are many examples of all kinds of product being virtually dumped in certain countries. There were Trilogos arriving in the states as Michael mentioned (more info here: http://trilogo.info/intro-history/kay-bee-overstock/), shed loads of ROTJ/POTF turning up in Australia and even places like Denmark had large amounts of product basically just dumped on them in order to get rid of it (good story here: http://trilogo.info/features/faetter-br-the-great-danish-trilogo-sale/).

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Thanks for the links Joe

Square carded Meccano Jawa's in Denmark circa 1987!! :shock:

Love the Trilogo Yak Face with £1.59 sticker, sent to the US to end up with Kay Bee price sticker as well 8)

Joe

Grand Master
No problem mate :)

Stormtrooper37 said:
Square carded Meccano Jawa's in Denmark circa 1987!! :shock:

Yeah, funny isn't it? Even back then they couldn't get rid of those bloody Jawa's!! :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great info and links Joe

Mmmmmmm .....Those bargain bins :D loved them in the 2 for a pound days, just wish I'd kept them, but they were freed and given to my little lad at the time, that's what started his SW habit though :D

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
We had Tri-logo (Figures only) stuff here...I remember it from the Kay-bee toys discount bins. We had of course all Kenner product. Anything Palitoy that was here came second hand from Canada.

Joe

Grand Master
Canadian stuff went over to Europe too, this is a good read on Canadian figures with Clipper offers: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t982803/

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
back in the mid 80s i got leia boushh, weequay,nikto, klaatu, bib fortuna, squid head, teebo and chief chirpa bought for me from my local toy shop and all off them were kenner.

i dont remember seeing any tri-logo stuff in shops

Captainsolo1978

Jedi Master
I had loads of ESB Kenner cards and I remember the Palitoy Bounty Hunter cards. These were ace but haven't seen one for years!

Had loads of Palitoy , Tri Logo and Kenner Jedi cards.

I was born in 78 and didn't start buying figures till 1982. Well my parents did!

bobbybobs

Padawan
I collected for a few years as a kid in Sydney and was right into it. Yet I can't for the life of me remember what the cardbacks/boxes were. I ripped those suckers open minutes after buying them and never kept the cardbacks or the boxes.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
In denmark we had a lot of different stuff.

Me and søren are working on the danish thread and as you can see we had a lot of stuff from many different countries.

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10847

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
It seems like Palitoy was occasionally shipped the entire "kit" for action figures and toys that were intended for America and Canada. The action figures were presumably run through the bubble packing machine at Palitoy and stickers were added to provide U.K details of offers.

The American and Canadian toys were assembled at Palitoy in the same way as the U.K ones, including the paperwork such as catalogues and leaflets. I can't be the only kid who had a 1981 Kenner catalogue, drooling over stuff that wasn't available in the U.K. I had an Imperial Attack base and a 1984 catalogue that were Canadian Kenner. I picked up an American Landspeeder at a boot sale too.

Of course Palitoy used Kenner packaging for toys such as the 12" Boba Fett and the ESB die cast collection. I wonder too if the 12" Ben Kenobi and Jawa were also assembled at Palitoy, using Meccano boxes.

Craig.

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Stormtrooper37 said:
Yeah I though here in the UK we did get some Kenner stuff

I assume also we were the only country to have Palitoy though - we were lucky little people :wink:

No we werent the only country to get Palitoy stuff. France got a lot of Palitoy Stuff Imported in too :)

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Yes, we were lucky to receive Palitoy items, with the Death Star being perhaps the standout item of the entire range.

To reiterate my last point; Yes, we did receive a large amount of Star Wars items in Kenner packaging but wasn't it just a case of Palitoy being sent the packaging and contents that were designed for Kenner? I don't believe that the toys were sent from America, so they would have been assembled and packaged at Palitoy alongside the company's own branded Star Wars items.

Has anyone got any further information or contrary views on this?

Craig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom