Cost of shipping a MOC from US or Canada to UK

olisuds

Sith Lord
Hi folks, I haven't bought many MOCs from abroad but recently I've been quoted some very high shipping costs for MOCs being sent from US or Canada.

Anyone able to give their opinions on reasonable shipping costs for a $180 MOC from US or Canada to the UK?

Is $45 reasonable?

PGowdy

Grand Master
olisuds said:
Hi folks, I haven't bought many MOCs from abroad but recently I've been quoted some very high shipping costs for MOCs being sent from US or Canada.

Anyone able to give their opinions on reasonable shipping costs for a $180 MOC from US or Canada to the UK?

Is $45 reasonable?

There to hear can be very different from here to there. It always seems we are WAY cheaper. I recently sent a box to the US- about the same size an MOC but about 10 times heavier (about 4lb). Signed for cost me £17 with Royal Mail. As much as i bitch about those greedy mother ****ers, that's a pretty good deal. When ever i'm looking to buy something of a similar weight or size from the US the quote always seems to be $50-$75+. It also seems that a lot of US sellers use FedEx as standard for international shipping which is a very expensive way to do it.
I very rarely buy from the US anymore. It's just way too expensive.

walkie

Sith Lord
I typically pay $10 for loose figures, and just over $15 for loose graded. Not sure on the $45 for an moc sorry.

itfciain

Grand Master
Sounds about right to be honest. Pete is right, it costs a lot less for us to send over a MOC than it does for other countries to send them through to us

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
It's a rip-off for one MOC shipped. Prices have gone up over here in the states. It used to cost me around $10-$12 to ship one a year ago. Now it is more around $18 to $20..................so $45 is a little over the top.

Drakon

Jedi Knight
olisuds said:

Is $45 reasonable?

Hey Guys,
What Oli forgot to mention is this is an AFA graded MOC so it is heavier than the traditional MOC. Also if you opt for cheaper shipping and zero tracking then it will be a lot cheaper. Oli is trying to buy this piece from me. I prefer to ship with tracking and once packed it is going to be heavier. It is safer to ship this way because at least the piece can be followed. Others have bought from me and can attest to my packing skills.

Oli...if you have any other questions please let me know. I ship to the UK all the time.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
USPS international tracking stops once it hit the UK (no real tracking from USPS on international). The insured part makes sense. The case would add a little more weight.

Drakon

Jedi Knight
No and Yes TF. You can track all the way till it gets delivered if you use priority mail. Other options....No. The case and packing add a bit more.

On a side not I stated it would be around 45 and mentioned I would be happy to get a quote for Oli. Cheers for the information guys.

x-pack

Grand Master
Be very careful. I got well stung last month. Bought 3 MOCs from Pennsylvania, US. Initially the post was quoted at $27 which wan't too bad. However, when it arrived in the UK i got stung with a further £16 customs charge before Royal Mail would release the parcel.

Don't think i'd bother again

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
I think $45 is a bit much, I just shipped a 5lb box to the UK for about $56. Anything under 4lbs is pretty cheap, and I doubt that moc weighs that much :? I think it should be about 30 to 35 for a moc? I guess he adds Handling Charges.

olisuds

Sith Lord
Matt, I only questioned because I haven't bought many MOCs from US or Canada. Nothing wrong with some second opinions right? :)

It seemed a lot of money for shipping when I can ship something the other way Graded or not for less than half the price.

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
Be very careful. I got well stung last month. Bought 3 MOCs from Pennsylvania, US. Initially the post was quoted at $27 which wan't too bad. However, when it arrived in the UK i got stung with a further £16 customs charge before Royal Mail would release the parcel.

Before you bid or buy ask the seller to mark the package as gift and set the price at 15.00 or under so you won't get stung with custom charges. Some sellers are glad to do that and some are not :? I myself always mark as gift and give low value when ever I ship overseas.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Jedi_june said:
x-pack said:

Before you bid or buy ask the seller to mark the package as gift and set the price at 15.00 or under so you won't get stung with custom charges. Some sellers are glad to do that and some are not :? I myself always mark as gift and give low value when ever I ship overseas.

This is the bit I don't get :|

Why are some sellers more than happy to mark as gift or as June says set the price really low to avoid custom charges and others state and I quote 'it is against federal law to mark an item as gift or devalue the contents of their true worth or value'.

It really is a stinger both ways for any deals outside Europe unless the seller is willing to 'break the law' :?

Every far eastern seller I've dealt with always marks as gift and devalues the item, but US,Australian & Canadian sellers don't always like doing this.

itfciain

Grand Master
I guess the answer is that technically you are asking them to break the law. I have also had unconfirmed replies saying that it affects the amount you can insure the package for

i.e. if you mark the value on the customs form as $25 then how can you insure it for $500

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
I guess the answer is that technically you are asking them to break the law. I have also had unconfirmed replies saying that it affects the amount you can insure the package for

i.e. if you mark the value on the customs form as $25 then how can you insure it for $500

Guess that's true Iain.

Thinking back to the most expensive MOC I ever purchased was from a US Seller and I never paid any Custom charges on it, either I was extremely lucky that it got through customs without being properly checked or the seller took one hell of a risk and marked it way, way under the value to avoid me paying anything :D

Drakon

Jedi Knight
Oli...no worries at all. Just make sure you bring the all the facts to the table instead of leaving some out. I have been selling for a long time. :):)

Yes...it is against the law to mark the item as a "gift" if it is truly not a gift. That is another argument within itself.

I will let you guys look into this...let's not get the cart before the horse. Please punch in the information yourself and draw a conclusion to those that are guessing. These are the facts below. Hopefully this can shed some light on the subject in the future.

Okay... the website I use is http://www.usps.com The quotes can be checked here.
Click under ship a package and pull down the menu..click calculate a price

Service used. Priority mail....this option has insurance added in along with tracking. Door to Door tracking.
Time 6-10 working days.
Value....I will put $10.00 USD.
Gift...sure.
Weight including packing....I did not charge him for my packing materials. On eBay I do. Sorry...has to come from somewhere. 1 pound and 15 ounces.

Shipping from US to UK

US addy...not my own
7805 N Academy Blvd
Briargate Blvd
Colorado Springs Colorado
80920-3901

UK addy...not Oli's
Willow Road
Lenton
Nottingham
NG7 2WS

Price 43.10-45.00 from US-UK....and no handling fees involved. :lol:

Thanks,
Matt

fun4kids

Padawan
I buy from the US all the time and charges vary on what you buy and the value. The biggest issue is insurance. I bought an expensive piece from Matt and that cost more as it had to be insured due to its $3k value. You can't send an expensive graded MOC and value it as $10 as if its get lost you would expect the seller to refund right?

It comes down to trust. If a seller quotes a price and you don't think it's fair then don't buy it. However when you have a seller like Matt who is a regular on these forums I equally don't think that shipping charges should be questioned to be honest as let's face it everyone works on gift payments which require 100% trust

Without trust this forum doesn't work. Anyway Matt is a stand up guy and if he says its $45 then that's what it is

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
I have to agree with Garry here. I'm not just sticking my oar in as I don't really like to get involved.

This is the way I believe it should or does work.

If I buy a MOC/Revenge Proof Graded or not from the US then I usually ask for a price that includes shipping. If not and it is a specific shipping price then that is the price. This forum is built on trust and honesty and if a seller abuses that they have no future in either buying or selling.

In regards to payments and customs.

If you pay and add the 4% fees then you must be willing to allow the seller to cover themselves by shipping the item and declaring full value as if it doesn't arrive then you are in your right to request a full refund.

If you pay the 4% but request low value then you cannot expect a refund as it is your own fault.

If you pay as a GIFT and request it to be sent low value that is on your own head and you cannot expect to receive a full refund as the seller is out of pocket on your request.

Its pretty simple really, GIFT payment no refund pay through the fees and customs charges then expect a refund.

At the end of the day, it is like Garry said... If you don't like the price then don't buy it. :wink:

I don't think anyone is in question as in their ethics of trying to make any extra for handling fees and I believe Oli is just asking what the average price is, but this s is how I think it should work.

Phew, now I need a beer!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom