Change of Forum Ownership

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks Edd- please make sure you stick around. Always will be SWFUK.

I don't engage much in Star Wars myself as life can force other priorities, so completely understand.

I do miss the the forum of 10 years ago. The constant daily posts uncovering scams, inter-forum conflict, wars against repro and ugrades, banter, Sandcrawler Tits, Iains daily buckets of cheap MOCs. New friendships and planing adventures. Farthest From and charity fundraising. T-Shirts and podcasts...... multiple banning, a complete education.

There was some times on here that were so funny, i found myself on the floor crying in laughter.

This forum has also introduced me to some of my closest mates and we have created some of the greatest Star Wars memories. For that- i will always be in debt to yourself, the MODs and yourself.

Hope SWFUK remains and carries on going long after the Facebook bubble bursts.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Thanks Edd- please make sure you stick around. Always will be SWFUK.

I don't engage much in Star Wars myself as life can force other priorities, so completely understand.

I do miss the the forum of 10 years ago. The constant daily posts uncovering scams, inter-forum conflict, wars against repro and ugrades, banter, Sandcrawler Tits, Iains daily buckets of cheap MOCs. New friendships and planing adventures. Farthest From and charity fundraising. T-Shirts and podcasts...... multiple banning, a complete education.

There was some times on here that were so funny, i found myself on the floor crying in laughter.

This forum has also introduced me to some of my closest mates and we have created some of the greatest Star Wars memories. For that- i will always be in debt to yourself, the MODs and yourself.

Hope SWFUK remains and carries on going long after the Facebook bubble bursts.
I agree Grant, I also miss the forum what it was when I joined the forum 9 years ago. I do not know how it was 10 years ago. But a lot have changed since I joined the forum. The forum is still great but I miss a lot of members that I do not see here anymore, I also miss the constant daily posts, all the trade and all the stuff that always was for sale ;) Maybe it will help if we burn some repro weapons :D

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
What a shock, thanks ED for all your hard work over the years, it was the sandcrawler:) and TT business that drew me in all those years ago and i have made some good online friends due to this place, who had / have similar interests, not just sw, this place is invaluable for that, long may it continue, best wishes to the new owners

revilluk

Padawan
Thank you for all the hard work over the years, i gaurantee my collection would not be complete without this site, bringing together invaluable resources and knowledge. The impact across the community is impossible to quantify, your legacy is well and truely complete.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Wow that's a surprise! Firstly thank you Edd. When I got back into collecting the Forum was my main resource and I've enjoyed every minute of reading and researching on its many pages. Yes since the emergence of Facebook there has been a little less traffic and not many sales. However the forum still remains a place you can visit to get away from the madness. So again thanks for setting up and maintaining it. Enjoy your down time mate, modern living is a lot more busy and stressful than back in the day (that's why we immerse our selves in vintage nostalgia). Hope to still see you at the events etc. Probably owe you a pint for creating the best Star Wars forum in the galaxy!

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
I wasn't expecting to see this at all. The forum to me will always feel like my Star Wars family. It's the place where I met the guys from our local group who have been a massive support to me in the last few years. Thanks for all you all your hard work Edd. The forum will be with us...... always!!

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Thanks for all your hard work Edd. I've only been on here a few years and enjoyed every minute, got some good advice and spoken to some great forum members, I hope to enjoy it for years to come.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Thanks Edd. It's been a good run for you. I'm still in the game in a very small way, but not as much as before. Its a shame Facebook has really took off the way it has because dedicated forums like this are the way to go. Never had FB and never will, too much an invasion of privacy and some of the twats who use it.

Good to hear you are sticking around

Lee

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have some news that may come as a bit of a shock: after 16 years at the helm, I have passed the forum on to a new owner. They are not somebody you will know from the forum, or even the wider Star Wars collecting community, but they do have years of experience running online communities and will be somewhat of a 'silent owner', leaving the forum mostly as it is. Myself and the other moderators you already know will remain for the foreseeable future.

You will notice the forum software has been updated, apologies for the downtime. In fact it hasn't just been updated, it is brand new software. The previous forum software hadn't changed much for the best part of 20 years, and although it may not feel like long since the last upgrade I did a couple of years ago, the web changes quickly and it's important to keep up to date, especially for security. I know it will take a bit of getting used to, and a few things are yet to be fixed, but we intend to have all previous features restored soon, along with some new ones you may have noticed already. Please bear with us, and feel free to report anything you notice is broken in this thread.

I would like to explain the reasons for this change of ownership. Firstly, a large part of my decision was based on the agreement that the forum will remain largely the same. The intention is to grow and improve it. It has already had a software upgrade and been moved to faster hosting, so you should notice an immediate speed increase and less frequent downtime. As you may know, due to the large size of the forum this has been a regular headache for me over the years, as I ran this website as a hobby so have never had the resources to make it as fast and robust as I wanted to.

Secondly, I have had less time in recent years to dedicate to the forum due to now having a young family. I have struggled to find the time for the required maintenance, upgrades and admin. The old software was not quick or easy to upgrade.

And finally, after 16 years I feel I have taken the forum as far as I can on my own. Since the explosion of Facebook 10+ years ago the sales section has suffered, and although the forum has remained busy, I have struggled to grow it any further.

So I would like to say thanks to all of you who have supported the forum since 2005, and also be clear that this isn't the end of SWFUK, but a new chapter. So I hope you will all join me in welcoming the new management, and continue enjoying the forum!
Hi edd, on the old forum we could have 200 pm in the mail box, any idea about that is changed in the new forum ? :)

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
This will always be your forum. You did great work over all the years and kept it alive.

7973909046175172.jpg

Maybe the new software will help to rise the forum again to old strength (... or when people are sickened of all that FB BS)

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
Edd, firstly sorry for being a bit out of the loop for the last few months but i'm still about. Secondly, thank you for everything you have done for the forum and the community as a whole. This forum is my collecting home, it got me back into it after many years. Whilst my main focus is primarily modern its been a joy to see other peoples collections, its also added a more personal touch to the interaction I have had with many of you over the short time I have been here. so a massive thank you from me indeed.

If I can support the forum in anyway just give me a poke, the modern section of the forum is growing again too so i'm sure I can get creative and bring in some more life to further enhance it for everyone.

Top man Edd, once the apocalypse is over and the wold opens up properly, tea/coffee/beer on me :)

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I too have just started a family and haven't had 5 minutes to myself so I can understand your reasons. As everyone has said before, this is the place for Vintage SW in the UK and will always be. I have made lifelong friends and will forever be thankful for all the hard work and dedication you've put in over the years. Thanks to all the Mods as well who have undoubtedly kept things civil in a fair few heated moments!

Latest posts

Top Bottom