Car Boot Sales

sith-smith

Grand Master
Back in the early 90's I used to go every sunday morning and would buy masses of loose figures and vehicles. Happy days 8)

Sadly by 94 the fun was gone, what ever figures were there would ridiculously priced.

That hasn't changed in this hobby!

phreatobite

Jedi Master
The other week I found a stall with an At-At, At-st, speeder bike, a jabba and a load of figs - all incomplete but for £70 for the lot I couldn't walk away. I was amazed that after so many years it just popped up in North London.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Went over to one of my local car boots today, it's fooking huge. Mum was selling so helped her out a bit.

Total haul for today: DVD trilogy box set and a vintage rebel commando!! And the best thing of all, got the rebel commando for free!!! :D

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Dark Sith Lord said:
Nice one Chris!

Found out that my local car boot has finished for good! :( :(

Still managed to grab a few vintage Smurfs at another :D

I used to collect a few Vintage Smurfs at the same time when I started to collect Star Wars stuff back in the early 80's. Funnily though I can only remember 2 places actually selling them. One was an independent card shop, which had a sea of blue Smurfs on a few glass shelves in the window - that shop always had unusual stuff in it.

The other place or should I say plaice :lol: was a smelly old Fish and Chip shop, which was located at a seaside fairground as I grew up in Hampshire on the South Coast. They had a few 'manky looking' Smurfs for sale they were cheaper than the card shop but had a grubby feel to them :lol: Remember buying a few from the old chippy - those were the days :)

x-pack

Grand Master
They used to sell Smurfs at an Elf petrol station in Preston. Don't remember seeing them anywhere else.

Mrleemur

Jedi Knight
Yeah, i'm sure they used to sell them in the petrol station at the end of the road i grew up on...

Cun't member if that was elf or esso

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
They used to sell Smurfs at an Elf petrol station in Preston. Don't remember seeing them anywhere else.

Not surprised, there can't be very many petrol stations run by elves

:? Sorry mate just couldn't help myself :D

TC-14

Sith Lord
I can remember Smurfs being sold at our local National petrol station... I can picture the logo now, blue and yellow, with wings on the side of his head... some mythological Greek god if I'm not mistaken :? You don't see that brand around anymore.

TC-14

Sith Lord
Aha! From Wikipedia:

"During the 1970s and 1980s the company's petrol stations sold figurines of The Smurfs comic characters whose blue and white colouring matched the national colours, however during the 1980s, the National brand declined as BP focussed on the strength of the BP brand.
By the early 1990s the brand name was phased out in favour of BP. There was a brief re-appearance of the National Brand from 2000 when Scottish Fuels branded its retail outlets as 'National'. These outlets have since been re-branded into the colours of Scottish Fuels. A number of outlets in Shetland are still branded as National as are a few outlets on the Isle of Wight."

Nick, if you find yourself suffering from burnout on the Jawa front, then give yourself a breather and pop into one of the last remaining National petrol stations on your island and start amassing those little blue critters as a slight 'diversion' :wink:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Bloody hell, they even strip smurfs, and puddle as protos etc....so the dodgy dealers are not confined to SW :shock:

http://www.hiddeninthewoods.com/raws1.html

poncho

Grand Master
no vintage starwars this weekend. though i did see a loose kenner robin hood friar tuck for 50p (gamorean guard kenner recycle figure 1991) which i passed on. my haul was a vintage boxed lego technic bike 50p, a red dwarf t-shirt £1,dark knight rises dvd for £1 and a boxed sealed revell robotech plastic model kit from 1985 for a £1. the search for vintage sw continues

CampbellCabs

Youngling
Hi Guys,

I'm a total newbie here but a long time Star Wars Fan. I was born in 1978 and used to own a vast range of the toys until I sold them all in my front garden to my mates for the price of a Mars Bar.

Now my own son is 5 and its come full circle - hes my padowan and a total Star Wars buff, I'd say he rivals my own knowledge!

My Dad is an avid car boots sales visitor and yesterday he picked up a 1983 ROTJ Millenium Falcon in the box (which he bought for my son). If that wasn't excitement, inside were 10 figures including a 1977 Darth Vader with cape.

So here I am, looking for any knowledge that you folk can share on the rarity of the find!

Thanks,
Andy

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
Well this weekend I was actually selling at a car boot sale. After spending a small fortune on a collection on Saturday, I was in no mood to buy so sold sold sold. And I even put up some vintage Star Wars loosies (without weapons), just for the cause of bringing back vintage Star Wars to car boot sales. My main buyers for these figures were young lads, aged about 10! There would appear to be alot of love for vintage Star Wars from the new generation (or possibly egged on by their dads behind them)

:)

mumbo

Sith Lord
Dragged the kids to a car boot whilst on holiday in Somerset and stumbled across a load of loose vintage figures including last 17.

The search initially only brought a few modern figs, got a Jango for my son who was thrilled and then whilst browsing a stall my son came running over shouting "dad dad the man's got vintage" and upon inspection there were about 20 loose figures selling at a couple of quid.

The guy then produced a bag full of figures (30ish) and these were priced from £3 upwards but no weapons. They were all overpriced and I tried to cut a deal for some of the better figs but he wouldn't move on price.

Then he pulls out last 17, Han Carbonite which he wanted £55 for, the figure was C7 but even mint don't go for that much, told him it was overpriced but he said that is what he paid for it so I told him he got done :lol: Yakface with discoloured torso and paintloss to hands, no weapon wanted £70.

After that I just said thanks but no thanks. Still was nice to see vintage when not expecting to see it.

Think I've got the boot bug now :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom