Big day tomorrow at Vectis

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:
Well, when I started collecting Palitoy the 12's (in general, inc. a+b variations) + the 8 20 backs were considered the ultimate set. That is continuing to change though.

They did have a mythical status. Back in 2001 when I first asked about getting the set together I was told that there were only 15 Lukes known to exist and that they were all locked away in collections and so it was impossible to put a set of 12 together, let alone get the Large Head Han. VC Jawa was not even an issue!

Since then so many new pieces have surfaced that makes it far more possible to put a set together. 15 lukes in 2001 is still a large number compared to the 6-8 Fetts thought to exist in 2015 and that's after years of websites and forums which do help unearth pieces and make them part of public knowledge.

I know there is a lot of focus on the Fett, in much the same way there was Focus on the Luke, but other 30 back pieces are also tough and probably much tougher than the harder 12 back Characters

Luke, Chewie, Han, Leia and Ben were the tough five 12/20 backs. All others could have been picked up vey easily by comparison. In fact there were countless collections of 15 of the first 20 missing those five.

The tough five 30 would be Fett, Yoda, then any 3 of the following...Fx7, IG88, WBG, Bossk, HST, Han Bespin. AT AT driver and Imperial commander aren't easy to find either! So not only are there more tough characters to find, the numbers in which they exist are much smaller.

The SW cards had been popular for a long time. The ESB cards took some time to catch up. You could pick up ESB characters on a choice of 3 Logo'd cards (30, 41 & 45a) so many (including myself initially) were happy with a character on any card so mixes were common. Once attention started to turn to debut MOC the 30 backs really began to take off in popularity and there really were that many to go round. Though more have been discovered since the early 2000's demand has increased at a greater rate and in recent years collectors with a hell of a lot more disposable income have focussed on them.

It's a shame these forums don't have a Like button :D

Some great information there.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Thanks

Though that is just my own musings.

It could easily be ignored as the ramblings of a senile old man. :?

:D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
PGowdy said:
edd_jedi said:
It makes me very happy that the Palitoy logo has no nostalgic attraction to me whatsoever :D Otherwise my finances would be in real trouble!

Haha, same here! I only remember the Kenner logo growing up so have no attraction to the Palitoy logo whatsoever. Actually, aesthetically, much prefer the Kenner logo. Thank goodness for that. 8)

I'll third that, Palytoy logo means nothing to me. Kenner logo holds so much more nostalgia for me and I agree looks nicer. Not saying Palytoy's aren't nice though and certainly hope to put a run together one day. :)

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
PGowdy said:
edd_jedi said:
It makes me very happy that the Palitoy logo has no nostalgic attraction to me whatsoever :D Otherwise my finances would be in real trouble!

Haha, same here! I only remember the Kenner logo growing up so have no attraction to the Palitoy logo whatsoever. Actually, aesthetically, much prefer the Kenner logo. Thank goodness for that. 8)

I'll third that, Palytoy logo means nothing to me. Kenner logo holds so much more nostalgia for me and I agree looks nicer. Not saying Palytoy's aren't nice though and certainly hope to put a run together one day. :)

It's the opposite for me, I remember a spinning display covered in 12 backs, loads of them, I must've been about 10. The toy shop I worked in later had shed loads of non logo Palitoy ROTJs.

First time I saw a Kenner logo I was like wtf? :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
jedisearcher said:
It's the opposite for me, I remember a spinning display covered in 12 backs, loads of them, I must've been about 10. The toy shop I worked in later had shed loads of non logo Palitoy ROTJs.

Wow, you worked in a toy shop while vintage was still being sold? Tell us more! :) (new thread might be better)

sith-smith

Grand Master
First time I saw a Kenner card as a child was the large Head Han. Remember thinking it was a bootleg of some kind. :?

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
jedisearcher said:

Wow, you worked in a toy shop while vintage was still being sold? Tell us more! :) (new thread might be better)

Will do Edd, new thread soon. :D

theguiltyone

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
Those estimates do seem a little high in places especially as some of them aren't quite box fresh condition. That said though I wouldn't be surprised to see them all go somewhere in that estimate range looking at recent sales. One thing I was wonder was if they won't be sold if they don't hit the lower estimate, does anybody know?

Hope Craig does as well as he can though and that Vectis hasn't priced potential buyers out with some of their estimates.

Ian

So were the low end estimates actually reserves? No 30 backs sold!

marc

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes looks like you are right Marc, all showing as 'lot not sold' from this morning's auction. I believe the 'reserve' is 60% of the lower estimate, so as a few here thought looks like the estimates were way OTT. Or maybe everyone just forgot? :lol: Would be interesting to see what a few of the Palitoy collectors think.

It would be nice if some common sense was returning to the hobby, there have always been expensive items but the current trend of anything with a Palitoy logo selling for thousands is madness, there are plenty of equally rare items from other manufacturers that sell for a fraction.

indianawars

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Yes looks like you are right Marc, all showing as 'lot not sold' from this morning's auction. I believe the 'reserve' is 60% of the lower estimate, so as a few here thought looks like the estimates were way OTT. Or maybe everyone just forgot? :lol: Would be interesting to see what a few of the Palitoy collectors think.

It would be nice if some common sense was returning to the hobby, there have always been expensive items but the current trend of anything with a Palitoy logo selling for thousands is madness, there are plenty of equally rare items from other manufacturers that sell for a fraction.

Well put, I couldn't agree with you any more.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I thought some were high, but considering the current Palitoy hype I didn't think unlikely in a few cases (Fx7 IG88 WBG). The Luke and Leia 30b plus the Imperial commabder 45a were the most over the top.

Shocked that none sold.

sith-smith

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:

I'd like to think you are right, but I'm not so sure yet. There maybe rarer items, but ultimately it comes down to desirability. If there's only one of something, but nobody wants it, the price will reflect that. Palitoy is big news at the moment and in fact it's always been a widely sort after area of collecting. Now it seems there are people with a heck of a lot of money (and not always a lot of sense) who are prepared to throw it at pieces and so prices have reached the crazy level they are currently at.

I'm still waiting for your prediction that they will all get bored and go off and buy motorbikes to come true 8) :D

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Shocked none sold if that's the actual situation. Did anyone watch live? Were they pulled as if someone made a ridiculous offer for them all before the auction, or did they actually go under the hammer?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I forgot to watch to be honest, there didn't seem to be the same buzz around this auction - understandable due to the Fett in the first one, but I also think they may have made a mistake not having a mix of low and high value items to attract attention. There was nothing that interested me personally.

Gary, it's either going to be motorbikes or speedboats :D

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That's strange, still showing as 'not sold' for me.

One thing that people need to remember is that these were mass-produced toys. sure there aren't many known examples, but as the recent 12 back/Death Star playset find or Frank's Emperor baggies prove these things are out there, many just haven't been found yet. If something was manufactured in the thousands there's a good chance some are left.

That's why I am not comfortable with these reaching (or even exceeding) prototype money, at least with a prototype you can say with a certain amount of belief that you have one of only a few. I've noticed the same with video games which I also collect - compared to Star Wars video game collecting is in its infancy, so you have many morons throwing around phrases like 'one of a kind' when all they base that on is completed eBay listings or VGA (AFA) grading reports :roll:

sith-smith

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Gary, it's either going to be motorbikes or speedboats :D

It'll certainly be some form of male midlife crisis thing.

Perhaps that's what some see collecting Star Wars toys as...a whole load of guys experiencing a midlife crisis is what has driven up the price of Star Wars toys!! :lol:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Lads, the palitoys start on lot 2585, currently selling lot 2390 so about an hour or so before they're up.

:)

Jason

sith-smith

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
That's strange, still showing as 'not sold' for me.

One thing that people need to remember is that these were mass-produced toys. sure there aren't many known examples, but as the recent 12 back/Death Star playset find or Frank's Emperor baggies prove these things are out there, many just haven't been found yet. If something was manufactured in the thousands there's a good chance some are left.

That's why I am not comfortable with these reaching (or even exceeding) prototype money, at least with a prototype you can say with a certain amount of belief that you have one of only a few. I've noticed the same with video games which I also collect - compared to Star Wars video game collecting is in its infancy, so you have many morons throwing around phrases like 'one of a kind' when all they base that on is completed eBay listings or VGA (AFA) grading reports :roll:

I could debate all day about he concept of rarity. It is one of the most over used terms in collecting and as far as I can see there is no set understanding of what it means in terms of toy numbers.

There is however a big difference between people who collect because something is few in number and people who struggle to find something because it is few in number.

Most people who collect Palitoy don't do so just to know they have one of kind pieces, they more often than not are tyring to complete a run (12, 30 45a etc) When you have many people doing this pieces get snapped up very quickly, often they don't show up publically for sale and when one does it's all systems go.

Like I said, a piece being rare in the sense that there is only one confirmed is not going to get the money if people don't want it. An item that has many examples but has high desirability is going to get a very high price.

There's a enough of the majority of Palitoy figures that hit a high price to make the term rare seem little misused. 'Rare' in the sense of availability as people buy and they get locked away never to be seen again, but not in terms of examples in existence. And yes more are discovered all the time. Makes me laugh when people say 'these are becoming rarer'

No they aren't...far more are known than there were 5-10 years ago.

Unless the person saying it is secretly U grading them!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom