best material / glue to use for resealing

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
tiefighterboy said:
Discuss it all you want. Reseals and customs are part of this hobby and always have been. If you don't like them great..If you love them great. Just don't lump them in with repros , U grading and bleaching. They are a different story altogether.

and You disfavor reseals and customs..not sure about the "Community" as a whole.

That's a fair point. Would actually be interested to see what the community has to say on it. You've been around a lot longer than me (hey, I didn't say you're old....lol), and perhaps I am wrong that more people disfavor reseals and customs than don't. Would be interesting to do a poll somewhere and see what people said, although polls are inherently unreliable.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Ross_Barr said:
That's a fair point. Would actually be interested to see what the community has to say on it. You've been around a lot longer than me (hey, I didn't say you're old....lol), and perhaps I am wrong that more people disfavor reseals and customs than don't. Would be interesting to do a poll somewhere and see what people said, although polls are inherently unreliable.

I think I already know the result of that poll Ross and as you said they're not the most reliable gauge but if you did do one ( I'm assuming it'd be on FB ) you'd need to clarify the difference between a reseal and re-card as there still seems to be an over whelming amount of people who confuse the two.

There's also cut/slit open bubble examples to consider too, I actually had someone tell me once that in that condition the bubble should be completely removed and it left as a cardback. Certainly a divisive subject but I reckon sometimes it just gets taken a little too far.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Ross_Barr said:
tiefighterboy said:
Discuss it all you want. Reseals and customs are part of this hobby and always have been. If you don't like them great..If you love them great. Just don't lump them in with repros , U grading and bleaching. They are a different story altogether.

and You disfavor reseals and customs..not sure about the "Community" as a whole.

It would be best just to accept the fact that customs and reseals are acceptable to some, if not many collectors. Everyone has their level of acceptance. There are guys on here that do not have deep pockets. When given the chance to own a resealed 12 back for instance (original cardback, bubble, weapon, figure) for 10% of what a fully sealed one goes for I cant put them down for that and I am definetly not going to shame or shun them for it. It is all real except for the seal. As far as customs go, I could really careless If a guy decides to paint a beater stormie purple and call it ****ing Barney. these were mass produces in the millions, If not billions. There is a certain point Ross where you and even me need to say we cant inflict our beliefs on others nor control them. Peace.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
tiefighterboy said:
Ross_Barr said:
tiefighterboy said:

It would be best just to accept the fact that customs and reseals are acceptable to some, if not many collectors. Everyone has their level of acceptance. There are guys on here that do not have deep pockets. When given the chance to own a resealed 12 back for instance (original cardback, bubble, weapon, figure) for 10% of what a fully sealed one goes for I cant put them down for that and I am definetly not going to shame or shun them for it. It is all real except for the seal. As far as customs go, I could really careless If a guy decides to paint a beater stormie purple and call it ****ing Barney. these were mass produces in the millions, If not billions. There is a certain point Ross where you and even me need to say we cant inflict our beliefs on others nor control them. Peace.

All fair points Todd, and I am starting to see that even beating the drum of no repros or U-grades, etc. doesn't do much. You're right for sure that nothing anyone can say can control what other people do.

I guess my only point is that reseal and glue jobs might ultimately be passed by folks as the real deal down the line, and that's what turns me off about them. It also hurts a card back. But people can and will do whatever they want as you said, and I do get that people on a budget see these as an affordable alternative. But then I see stuff like this, and it makes me mad - clear reglue / reseal job by the shady FXToys they tried to pass as original:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-KENNER-STAR-WARS-BOBA-FETT-MINT-ON-21-BACK-CARD-/141935699961?hash=item210c06e7f9%3Ag%3A9t8AAOSwxvxW7iF1&nma=true&si=UOUGt8u2AJTI1ztaTdsCJ6o9XiY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Appears FX ended the listing to change the description because they missed it (or received nasty pms from people about it), but either they missed it (which shows the harm reseals can bring) or tried to pass it as original seal and got caught (which also shows the harm of reseals).

At the end of the day, I would describe it as a grey area in my mind. I see both sides.

But when it relates to whether the OP should himself reseal it or not, I would recommend the top loader method Edd provided over a glue reseal.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't have a problem with reseals, as Todd says they've been around as long as collecting itself. For many people they are the chance to own an expensive MOC on a budget, or in some cases sealed MOCs don't even exist (I'm pretty sure Gary and Lee both have Palitoy reseals in their collections because there are no known sealed examples.)

They obviously have to be sold as such, but in my eyes there's nothing fake or custom about them.

Palifan

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I don't have a problem with reseals, as Todd says they've been around as long as collecting itself. For many people they are the chance to own an expensive MOC on a budget, or in some cases sealed MOCs don't even exist (I'm pretty sure Gary and Lee both have Palitoy reseals in their collections because there are no known sealed examples.)

They obviously have to be sold as such, but in my eyes there's nothing fake or custom about them.

Totally agree with the above and for me I'd rather have an all original resealed figure than just a card back as that's what I collect (yes I really have got so into reseals now that I'm in a strange way happier with them than a sealed moc as I know someone played with the figure once). Also as for the argument of rather having the figure loose I figured that one out a long time ago by first putting together a loose run :D

Reseals are not for everyone and each to their own I say but I feel like I've given a vintage piece a second life in all it's original glory so feel happy about it. I realise mounting my 12 back sealed cut cards maybe crossing a line but these are for my collection and really will stay with me until the end.

Ian

starwarsfan72

Padawan
For me I see no difference between a French polisher restoring a Edwardian table or a Rembrandt having restoration done, granted more skills are needed for the above and lets face it star wars are tomorrow's antiques.
Hence me asking what was the best material / glue to use.
I feel so long as people are resealing with the best of intension and using all original items I don't see a problem.
Has for repo stuff and it being sold on, that's always going to be a issue , look at any hobby / pastime and you will always have unscrupulous individuals trying to make a quick buck its just the way of the world, fortunately its the minority and not the other way round.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
starwarsfan72 said:
For me I see no difference between a French polisher restoring a Edwardian table or a Rembrandt having restoration done, granted more skills are needed for the above and lets face it star wars are tomorrow's antiques.
I feel so long as people are resealing with the best of intension and using all original items I don't see a problem.
Has for repo stuff and it being sold on, that's always going to be a issue , look at any hobby / pastime and you will always have unscrupulous individuals trying to make a quick buck its just the way of the world, fortunately its the minority and not the other way round.

Exactly.

Palifan

Sith Lord
starwarsfan72 said:

I agree and thanks for the comment about my collection :D

As for the glue I used it was Pritt Gel which is water based but unfortunately no longer available. I think something like UHU would work well as it's strong and you have a little wiggle room with it before it drys, just use as little as possible and try to use on areas where the paper is still attached.

Best of luck with it and love to see the end result!

Ian

x-pack

Grand Master
PVA works well and it doesn't damage the card like some stronger glues.

Yeh, reseals are ok in my book. When I was buying them a few years back there were loads about and the majority had the original bubble either fully or semi detached. I just stuck them back on. You can tell what they are. No-one would be fooled into thinking they are MOCs.

maxf

Jedi Master
Ross_Barr said:

Which community though?

At a guess, I'd say the meccano and poch guys would be pretty accepting - hell, even Stephane has resealed Meccanos in his run(s). Palitoy guys would probably be against them, unless you speak to the guys who are looking for the real oddball pieces. Harbert guys - again, I bet a Han, Fett or Yoda reseal would be acceptable to most.

Kenner collectors might well be more against them, as the availability of MOC at varying costs is so high.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom