UK Graders Announcement

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Funny little update though not unexpected, just spoke to Steve & its seems he is getting a few emails from disgruntled customers saying now he is not doing U grading they will be taking their business to AFA instead, so no matter what is done by one grading company, if others will not follow suit its still going to be going on, be great to hear AFA picking up the batton & doing the right thing to,fingers crossed they will consider making a chance for the better.

PGowdy

Grand Master
Frunkstar said:
Funny little update though not unexpected, just spoke to Steve & its seems he is getting a few emails from disgruntled customers saying now he is not doing U grading they will be taking their business to AFA instead, so no matter what is done by one grading company, if others will not follow suit its still going to be going on, be great to hear AFA picking up the batton & doing the right thing to,fingers crossed they will consider making a chance for the better.

Thing is, many many more will not bother because of the extra cost of using AFA. The shipping alone is a killer.
A lot of those emails will be empty threats from wankers who were UGrading items to make money. **** em.

indianawars

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
Frunkstar said:

Thing is, many many more will not bother because of the extra cost of using AFA. The shipping alone is a killer.
A lot of those emails will be empty threats from wankers who were UGrading items to make money. **** em.
Very well put. If half a dozen people are getting shirty about it, then they're obviously the highest leave of wankers around! If people don't realize this is what's best of the hobby, then as you said, It was obviously a way for them making money while destroying another irreplaceable item!

Joe

Grand Master
So..the idiotic U grade fanatics have started doing the keyboard warrior thing because Steve stopped accepting their submissions?

q0mbrs.jpg

I couldn't be happier to hear the news!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
This doesn't suprise me at all, sounds about right, typical mentality of these people. Offering ultimatums to UKG, it's boreing.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
Frunkstar said:

I thought the same, AFA shipping is expensive too, they don't do "cheap".

sith-smith

Grand Master
I guess I will have to get my 30 back Fett U graded by AFA then!! :D

Just been reading the thread on RS as well.

Quite a powerful community this!! 8)

Ferreira

Youngling
It's very, very bad there is no U-Grade anymore.

Would be better if the UKG would make a rule that MOC's in good condition not will receive a U-Grade anymore.

But what's with all those MOC's in poor condition ? Cutted cards ? Shipping accidents ?

I've just tried to sell a figure with a bad, bad bubble crack (broken by shipping). Was a figure that regular goes for 150 US$.
With the broken bubble the best offer was 20 US$.

Before there was grading for action figures the collectors have ripped off those figures from their cardbacks (and with every figure an uncirculated figure was lost).
Since there was U-Grade this was the last way to save figures like this.

So what to do now with those figures ?

- Open them (and an uncirculated figure gets lost and the worth is poor then) ?
- Sell them for a few bucks (if you find a buyer) ?
- Send them to AFA now and pay a lot more for shipping and taxes ?
- Drop them away (because it's too much anger with them) ?

Don't misunderstand me. I hate people that let open a perfect MOC for a U-Grade, too.
But for a bad MOC U don't think it's better to save him and let look it collectible again and let him look like a jewel again than drop him away ?

I think without U-Grade a lot of collectible jewels will get lost now.... unfortunally :-(

3c30f3daff448d19289dc8da9f1dd648b.jpg

44895f5dc58ed41bd268568fadce4bbf6.jpg

41f4c832fb353f5a895789c66f9253ee9.jpg

587c34604f44bced44dde35cce55697fe.jpg

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Ferreira said:
But what's with all those MOC's in poor condition ? Cutted cards ? Shipping accidents ?

I've just tried to sell a figure with a bad, bad bubble crack (broken by shipping). Was a figure that regular goes for 150 US$.
That's why MOCs should always be sent fully insured, then you're covered for any accidents. And there are plenty of collectors for beater MOCs.
Ferreira said:
Before there was grading for action figures the collectors have ripped off those figures from their cardbacks (and with every figure an uncirculated figure was lost).
That was in darker unenlightened times. There's a market for beater MOCs so you should still be able to sell them, now more than ever.

Ferreira said:

Number 2 always.

Ferreira said:
Don't misunderstand me. I hate people that let open a perfect MOC for a U-Grade, too.
But for a bad MOC U don't think it's better to save him and let look it collectible again and let him look like a jewel again than drop him away ?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'drop' him,, but a beater/cut MOC is still collectible to someone so why not sell it on to someone who'll appreciate it for what it is.

Ferreira said:
I think without U-Grade a lot of collectible jewels will get lost now.... unfortunally :-(
The common feeling amongst the community seems to be that collectible jewels are being lost with u-grade. There are people out there who would dearly love to own any and all of the MOCs you've pictured, so why not give them the chance?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

indianawars

Sith Lord
Welcome to the forum.

I am simply going to put this to you - It is a single capital letter next to a number printed on a sticker... It has no magical powers, it does not improve the condition of the figure because of it. Accidents happen when it comes to shipping, this is why they must be insured when being posted out.

PGowdy

Grand Master
Ferreira said:
It's very, very bad there is no U-Grade anymore.

Would be better if the UKG would make a rule that MOC's in good condition not will receive a U-Grade anymore.

Typically selfish point of view of a UGrader. What about the thousands of mocs destroyed that are in good condition? Is this one beater not worth the sacrifice? Or does that not cross your mind? Your only actual issue seems to be 'how am i now going to make money out of figures on beater cards'... you're not. That's the point. Someone else can now buy an affordable beat up MOC. Suck it up. It's good for the hobby. You've not actually lost anything as i take it you bought that MOC in that condition in the first place... to Ugrade. :roll:
If AFA say 'we will only UGrade cards in terrible condition' guess what all the UGrade idiots start doing to their mint MOCs to get them UGraded??.... :roll:
No "collectable jewels" will be "lost" because the barbaric act of destroying perfectly good carded figures has now been stopped by UKG. The opposite will obviously happen. And why would a figure on a beater card now be thrown in the bin as you so ludicrously suggest? That to me is a very very silly thing to say.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I know what you're saying but the value is already gone. A $200 MOC with cracked bubble is never going to be a $200 MOC again, the damage is already done. What would an AFA U85 one be worth, $50? I'm sure you could find somebody to pay that for the MOC. And it's not all about money either.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
The only reason anyone U grades anything is to maximise the money they make.

People who argue otherwise are lying because figures that get say, U90's, are IDENTICAL to figures that get 90 grades IN EVERY WAY. 100% IDENTICAL.

And if you're getting all those postage accidents you need a new postman :lol:

Ferreira

Youngling
At first: Thx for your welcome :)

Your opinions are really interesting.

I think the problem is not the U-Grade, not the Graders and not the sellers.
My opinion is that there never would be any U-Grade if collectors would still pay agood price for a destroyed MOC because it's still an uncirculated figure in there.
OK - most people don't wanna display a MOC like I've shown above and if I would open it, it isn't an uncirculated figure anymore (this kind a lot of people have done before there was any Grading company).

An example:

I'll buy a MOC in the US (I'm based in Germany). I'll pay 100 bucks for him. The MOC gets damaged by shipping (broken bubble, card dejected).
So a disaster. In the past a was angry and sad about this. With luck the seller offers a refund. But he'll only refund the 100 bucks. I've send it back to the US (expensive).
That way I would get a part of my money back. But I'll lost still a lot and don't have any figure.
If I would try to sell that MOC nobody would give me 100 bucks of course. The people would say: it's broken - so I'll give you 20 bucks (perhaps 30).
Most of that people would buy that figure to open it (to have a near mint figure - yes those kind of collectors excist - and an uncirculated figure gets lost).

If I would send in that figure for a U-Grade it would be easy to sell for 120 bucks. So I've got my money back and still the money for a Grading.

The point is: If anybody would pay a good price for a destroyed MOC there is no reason anymore for U-Grade.

My opinion: Would be better if the UKG would say no U-Grade anymore for good MOC's but still for destroyed MOC's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom