Talk about new Star Wars movie, do not read if you have NOT seen it

Dantooine

Padawan
I really enjoyed it for the most part. There was a great atmosphere in the cinema and I think we got carried away by that, maybe viewing it again in a few months I might be a bit more critical.

It got a lot right, so much so that I think it's a shame that it stole so much of it's plot from the OT. It was the little moments and details that got me, that had the feeling of watching Star Wars. I loved all the stuff with the First Order officers being **** scared of delivering bad news to Kylo Ren and the other fella. The energy was good, the new characters worked well in the same way as the originals, everyone looked like they were having a good time. It's a popcorn movie, something Lucas forgot about with the PT.

I felt that Han Solo was going to die ( I was really fearing Chewey might be the one who got it) and it made sense that he did. If Ren had turned good it would've been really naff, so the fact he killed one of the most loved characters sets him up to be a great villain for the next films.

I didn't like the cgi characters. Why they didn't just use actors in make up is beyond me. At no point warching Chewey did I think of a man in a suit, but every second one of the cgi characters was on screen I knew I was watching an effect. The film lost me a bit after the first hour when the Starkiller Base came into the film - it's such a reboot of the Death Star it was a bit much, especially how they take it out. The pacing was a bit too fast, the story zipped along but didn't have the impact it could've if it had just taken it's time a bit more. I also found Han Solo and Leia talking about the past a bit cringe worthy.

I liked it, way better than the prequels, still not as good as anything from the OT.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Gets a big yes tick from me :D

I went to watch it and loved it, wanting to watch it again!

It had a great mix of humour, sadness and action , the new characters and old interacted well. Scenes/ planets/ ships all worked for me. Xwing scenes/battles were brilliant,.
I was transfixed for most of the movie, thoroughly enjoyed it

It opens a number of doors for the spin offs as well.

9/10 score for me :D

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Some good opinions from you guys. Apparently im taking Sonny on Sunday evening :lol: Knowing what happens with Han actually cuts me up. Although i havent seen it yet, his death was hardly spectaular from what i hear - such as shame because he could have gone out in better fashion. Fett died like a bitch, and apparently so did Solo now.

Who is Rey related to though? Can it be Han / Leia, and maybe Luke saw a vision ala Yoda about Kylo turning bad ?? and wanted Rey away from it? Could she be something to do with Wedge maybe - which could happen, but highly unlikely.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Ian_C said:
Mr-shifter said:
Ian,

Having just seen the film I agree there are a couple of things that are similar in feel to previous films, but you are so out with some of your comparisons.

db94 said:
Just home - totally disappointed
Ian you have nailed it for me.

This is what I expected. Some of you are going to absolutely love it. Others are going to hate it. I think it's going to depend on just how much you feel it was a tribute to the originals vs plagiarizing them.

For those of you who loved it - awesome, and I am very happy for you. Honestly. And for the others, I feel bad. No gloating from me - it makes me sad more than anything else that what I anticipated is true for some of you. :(

Mr-shifter, you're right that I am basing the context on spoilers (89 pages - not a few lines by the way), but which comparisons do you feel I was out on? Honest question.

Ian

You've read through 89 pages of spoilers but your not willing to sit down for 2 hours to watch it. :shock:

Would have been quicker just watching it. :)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Ian_C said:
OMr-shifter, you're right that I am basing the context on spoilers (89 pages - not a few lines by the way), but which comparisons do you feel I was out on? Honest question. Ian

OK, here goes. This is my interpretation of last night.

"Rey = young innocent with no parents on desert planet who discovers she is Force sensitive and becomes the main hero = Luke"

Luke skywalker was a farmer, stuck in a backwater dreaming of adventure and the chance to get away from his mundane life. Rey has been left on Jakku, learnt to survive on her own instincts and skills as a scavenger but has always been waiting for someone or something to come back to get her. She has faith that she is counting down the time until this happens and is doing what she can to survive in the meantime.

"Kylo Ren = former Jedi apprentice who falls to the Dark Side, acquires a black outfit and red lightsaber, and becomes the real villain's #1 henchman = Darth Vader"

Yes, both characters fell to the dark side. That is where the similarities end. Vader was pure granite. Emotionless, terrifying and in control of everything he did. He was also supremely loyal to his master, the emperor. Ren is angry, far more like a human than vader ever was. He is not properly in control of his skills and is fallible. How many times did Vader ever get hit or injured by blaster fire? If there was any comparison to be made here it would be more like HCs anakin, however he was light side, falling towards dark, where as Ren is dark, possibly falling towards light. It is also hinted he pursuing a personal agenda. Vader was not (until he found out he had a son and sister, but that was not immediate)

"Finn = guy who escapes big ship in the beginning of the movie, hooks up with lost young hero on desert planet, and is used mostly as comedic relief after that = C-3PO"

This is not the character at all. Finn is a first order defector who is trying to escape his past and gets drawn into the good fight. You are trying to make a square peg fit a round hole here. You would have found more similarity if you had compared his character to Solo. He doesn't have the same streetwise nature though. He is a conditioned soldier and knows very little else.

"BB-8 = smartass little droid who contains vital information and because of that is being hunted by bad guys = R2-D2"

Again, as I was watching the film I felt I had met a new an distinctively different character in BB8.

"Maz = small alien who speaks in riddles and focuses young hero as to their destiny = Yoda"

Maybe, maybe not. I didn't feel Maz was speaking in riddles, nor was she a Jedi Master, nor is she seemingly going to train Rey in the ways of the force. Infact I would suggest your description above is more what Obi Wan did for luke then Yoda. They are both aliens and they are both short so you are right there. Perhaps Maz is an ewok?

"Starkiller Base = giant planet modified to become destructive force used to wipe out Rebel base = Death Star I AND II"

I will agree here, and this is the part I had the biggest issue with. I was disappointed that they had rehashed the super weapon idea again. I don't want to see another one of these. They don't really work.

"Starkiller Base = ice planet = Hoth"

They were on a planet with forest, as well as an ice planet, as well as a planet mostly covered in ocean. Every terrain has previously been used in star wars films, and the planet earth has run out of terrains for them to film on. What additional terrains would you suggest? Cities (done that), Space stations (Done that). Farmland (Naboo maybe). Perhaps they should go to a planet made of Jelly.

"Starkiller Base = having a weakness exposed in a trench that fighter spacecraft can infiltrate and blow the whole damn thing up = Death Star I"

Not quite right here. The ships failed initially. It needed a strike team to infiltrate and destroy it. You could have put an endor reference in here instead. Anyway, I do have a bit of a problem with a third death star as stated above. Surely they would have learnt some basic engineering lessons from the previous two. Mind you, this does ring true to reality. Look up the fate of the HMS Hood.

"Captain Phasma = mysterious soldier employed by the Empire hunting down heroes that wears a unique suit of armor with a cape over one shoulder that we only see a little of = Boba Fett"

Phasma is a dull and flat character with little point other than marketing. Phasma is also not a bounty hunter, nor mysterious. Fett had the aura of a badass about him. Phasma is there to sell figures.

"Luke Goes Into Seclusion On A Remote Island = where he goes after his failure = Yoda Goes To Dagobah"

Luke had left after failing to restore the Jedi order, due to loosing Ren to the dark side. Luke has not gone into seclusion though. The film stated he had gone to find the Jedi Temple. Wheras Yoda did nothing till Luke found him, Luke has been actively pursuing another as yet unknown goal.

"General Hux = Nazi-like leader in charge of Starkiller Base (ie Death Star I) who is shown to be disagreeable to Klo Ren (Darth Vader) - Grand Mofff Tarkin"

They are both leaders of an army. I felt the first order, particularly the character of Hux, was far more fanatical in its feel that the empire ever was. Tarkin was a far more measured and calculated leader. Hux did have a real feel of Nazi about him. Plus, does an army not need a general. What sort of leader were you expecting. Imperial officers are all generally cut from the same cloth.

"Snoke = mysterious leader seen mostly in hologram form seated on a throne and is the true leader of the bad guys = Emperor"

It seems we are destined to have a puppet master controlling things where the dark side is concerned. I guess thats just the way of the dark side. Rule of two and all that.

"Poe = Rebel pilot who is an unsung hero and plays a vital role in the destruction of Starkiller Base (ie Death Star II) = Wedge Antilles"

Not unsung at all. Widely known and lauded as the hero pilot of the rebellion. This in my opinion is something the previous films have lacked (certainly star wars had no established rebel heroes). A rebel hero who is just that, a rebel hero who made his name as a pilot for the rebellion. Perhaps what Wedge would have become by ROTJ.

"Kylo Ren vs Han Solo = young former Jedi turned Sith kills older father with lightsaber blow after father tries to convince him to let go of his hatred = Vader vs Obi-Wan"

Obi Wan was not vaders father. There was as far as I remember no trying to turn Vader back to light when Obi Wan and vader duelled. This did not come until return of the jedi and was luke, vaders son trying to convince his father to let go of his hatred. In the case of luke and vader, luke successfully brought the light side out of vader. In TFA, murdering his father pushed ren further from the light to the dark.

"Leia = strong female leader who convinces man close to her to go and try to convert bad guy back to good = Leia (to Luke on Endor)"

Yes, but it worked with Luke. Han failed.

"Rey Obtains Millennium Falcon = hero goes to junk shop, meets with slimy junk dealer, finds an unexpected friend, and ends up finding ship (or important part of one) that gets them off desert planet = Qui-Gon goes to Mos Espa, meets Watto, discovers Anakin, and finds hyperdrive he needs to get off Tatooine"

We didn't get all of the betting a ship in a pod race with a ten year old who has never piloted a pod before garbage though did we. They needed a ship, and ended up stealing the Falcon, which wasn't their first choice. The film needed a way to bring the new characters together with the old. They used the falcon as that link.

"Max Von Sydow's character = person who supplies Poe/BB-8 with info the bad guys REALLY want, before being killed by Kylo Ren very early into movie = Captain Antilles, transporting Leia who provides R2-D2 with info the bad guys REALLY want, before being killed by Vader very early into movie"

No more than an extra in my opinion. The plot here was more important than the characters sadly, as I like Von Sydow.

"Than there's all the bits of fan service/cameos/Easter eggs. X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, Chewbacca, Ackbar, Nien Nunb, various bits of dialogue, etc."

The film is supposed to be shot in an existing universe. Expect to see familiar parts of that universe. I far preferred seeing familiar objects and faces than seeing completely new everything, a la prequels. Its supposed to be the star wars universe after all. Why would it not have a familiar feel?

So thats my take on the movie. Right or wrong, thats how I saw it. I am going back on saturday, and expect it too feel slightly different the second time around. I think the problem with a lot of people who are disappointed is how old where you when you saw star wars. 99% of people on here saw it through the eyes of a child. How many of you broke it down so analytically at the time? There was no universe in situ. It was all 100% original. There have been nearly 40 years of expansion to the universe this film is set in. How do you create something completely unique and original in a universe so refined and expanded as the star wars universe is? I think they have done a good job.

My final point, a lot of you were worried about Disney making this film too Disney. Its far more Star Wars and far less Disney then The Phantom Menace was, and Disney didn't even make that.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:
Some good opinions from you guys. Apparently im taking Sonny on Sunday evening :lol: Knowing what happens with Han actually cuts me up. Although i havent seen it yet, his death was hardly spectaular from what i hear - such as shame because he could have gone out in better fashion. Fett died like a bitch, and apparently so did Solo now.

Who is Rey related to though? Can it be Han / Leia, and maybe Luke saw a vision ala Yoda about Kylo turning bad ?? and wanted Rey away from it? Could she be something to do with Wedge maybe - which could happen, but highly unlikely.

Im going with the daughter of Luke. I would be disappointed if she turned out to be Rens sister, as there is a lot of dialog between Han and Leia about their son, where other children would have certainly been mentioned. Unless she was Leias daughter but not Hans. I had a feeling before the film she would be Lukes daughter.

Having seen this, I am already keen to pick the story back up in episode 8.

benny100

Sith Lord
It was such an assault on the senses it was very hard to digest it all as the credits rolled, nothing stood out as being bad immediately but on waking up this morning I knew I loved it.
Han's death wasn't surprising he knew he had to make an effort and believed as Luke did in Vader that there was still good in Ren, which they're evidently still is.
Loved how they used R2, the returning cast were all there to set up the new members. Capt Phasmas role was smaller than expected but I can't see where there's any room to fit another story in there, I'm sure it'll be explored more now Han has shifted out of focus.
I would have brought Luke in earlier, when his sabre was stuck in the snow and there was a force tug of war, it would have been a great intro for it to fly into his hand.
Rely did learn the force a little quickly but who's to say how quickly it should be learnt.
Finn was a trained soldier so no stretch he'd be proficient with a sword.
The advance in effects means we'll get more for our buck but it also means there's a hell of a lot going on, if watched Jupiter Ascending before going out to this, if ever a showcase as to how good the cg was in Force Awakens!
BB-8 is charming, just the right measure of cute.
So really looking forward to seeing it again this weekend!

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:

Lee, do me a massive favour here. Go and see this film with an open mind. If you come back afterwards and tell me you don't like what you saw then fair enough but I cannot accept the opinion of people who don't like something they haven't seen. A lot of guys on this thread have said it left them disappointed, and I get that. That is there opinion but you cannot critisise it till you have seen it.

Your son will love it. It will do for him what Star Wars did for our generation.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:

It had a great mix of humour, sadness and action , the new characters and old interacted well. Scenes/ planets/ ships all worked for me. Xwing scenes/battles were brilliant,.

I agree michael awesome movie, but what do you think about solo is dead and his body blown to a million pieces after the destruction of the base ? I think that was so sad and would have loved to see solo in episode 8 and 9.

indianawars

Sith Lord
Amazing!... I was cheering at the start and clapping at the end. Well done JJ, you've given the franchise hope for the future.

I don't think you should compare it to the originals as that would be like comparing every painting to a Picasso. Go watch it with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is!

I'm sure there are kid's walking away from the cinema right now with that exact same feeling as you did from the originals.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Well....that was an emotional rollercoaster!

Stuff I liked....BB-8, Rey, Han, Leia, X-Wings, Falcon

Stuff I didn't think was that good....quite similar to Jedi, Kylo, Snoke (stupid name), Phasma, no A, B or Y-Wings, only 1 TIE type, planet looked like a Pokeball!

But.....going to watch again tonight so maybe some of the negatives will grow on me

And yes....I did blub a little bit when Han/Chewie/Leia/Luke appeared and Han fell.....was I the only one expecting the "I love you....I know" line when they hugged?

Oh, and "starkiller base"? Surely that's using non-canon Disney! :lol:

My rating: 7.5/10

theslider

Sith Lord
Watched it this morning and it's very good IMO. It's not going to please everyone, but it does a pretty good job. In fact the only thing I didn't like was the fact that they mentioned that Stormtroopers are still clones - STUPID! Especially as they don't act like clones!

Solid 8 out of 10 for me. 100 times better than any of the dog **** that were the prequels.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
indianawars said:
Amazing!... I was cheering at the start and clapping at the end. Well done JJ, you've given the franchise hope for the future.

I don't think you should compare it to the originals as that would be like comparing every painting to a Picasso. Go watch it with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is!

I'm sure there are kid's walking away from the cinema right now with that exact same feeling as you did from the originals.

This /\/\/\ 8)

Loved it! It has its faults, but overall, it's a triumph. Absolutely requires more viewings as my head's still spinning with it all.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
theslider said:
Watched it this morning and it's very good IMO. It's not going to please everyone, but it does a pretty good job. In fact the only thing I didn't like was the fact that they mentioned that Stormtroopers are still clones - STUPID! Especially as they don't act like clones!

Solid 8 out of 10 for me. 100 times better than any of the dog **** that were the prequels.

They didn't say Stormtroopers are still clones. Referring to the deserter Stormtrooper (Finn) the Nazi first order bloke said his MEN are well trained and Kylo Ren said clones would be/are better, or words to that effect.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
theslider said:

I thought Kylo Ren suggested using clones to Hux as an alternative to Stormtroopers as he was questioning their reliability due to Finn doing a runner? From that I took it that the Stormies weren't clones. Finn also mentioned he was taken from his family when younger to be raised as a trooper.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Robstyley said:
They didn't say Stormtroopers are still clones. Referring to the deserter Stormtrooper (Finn) the Nazi first order bloke said his MEN are well trained and Kylo Ren said clones would be/are better, or words to that effect.

haha :D - what he said. Must have wrote that at the same time!

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Michael Sith said:

I agree michael awesome movie, but what do you think about solo is dead and his body blown to a million pieces after the destruction of the base ? I think that was so sad and would have loved to see solo in episode 8 and 9.

Yes Lars, I was really sad to see Han go, but had already resigned myself to it, and expected it.would have loved to have seen him in further films, but, all of the films do lose a character so I suppose it's keeping things neat.
I think if you watch the scene again, it showed a really human touch and a soft side to Han when he touches his sons face, with a look of forgiveness ...so I think he went out well and dignified, let's face it they couldn't have killed Han off crashing the Falcon, as he could fly it blindfolded.
Fantastic film for me loved it and will watch it many more times.

lejackal

Grand Master
So I've just watched this for the second time and after leaving the cinema a little deflated in the early hours am pleased to report the second viewing was much better.

I think nothing, no matter how good, would ever live up to the hype or be able to compete with the OT. We all for the most part grew up with those 3 films intertwined as part of our DNA and above even that pretty much watched them all through the open minded and wonder filled eyes of a child.

No matter how much we never grow up and still collect toys we can never quite recapture that feeling.

I do think this has been a definite remodeling of ANH and a sequel to Jedi all in one, it looks Star Wars and it feels Star Wars and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
It also perfectly sets up the rest of the trilogy

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
Each to their own but cannot understand why anybody would spend so long researching spoilers and then form their own opinion based on that alone...without actually seeing the movie...patently flawed...why read another's view and take that as your own..?

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be going again, frequently...

Is it perfect..? No...of course there were some issues - such as the CGI characters (I wouldn't have any, not with the fantastic make up and costumes available) and the pointless Capt.Phasma...

Does it lean on tried and tested formula from the OT..? At times, yes...but the alternative would be what..? Do everything new and differently..? Sorry, but that would not fit...these three films are set in a galaxy we know...with characters we know...and politics we know...this isn't like the prequels...and if Abrams chose to go down a totally new route...he'd have been slaughtered by the purists who would have asked "what the hell is this..?...this isn't Star Wars!!!"

Fact is...it IS Star Wars...and we are home...

Probably the major talking point is the killing of one of the greatest characters in the history of cinema...

My thoughts on the decision and the scene are as follows:

Kylo Ren should have put the helmet back on the moment he killed his father...this would have added so much to him as a character for me...would really have shown only a glimpse of his weakness, exposed during the dramatic face-to-face with Han Solo...then to be replaced by his darker side once the deed was done...but I understand why the face remained exposed...his inner struggle was patent from then on out, Abrams obviously wanted all to see that. His wounds will no doubt result in some modifications...although he won't quite be "more machine than man" just yet. But the actual scene, where Ren kills his father, for me, was a very well presented part of the film. The lighting, backdrop and exposed location was superb...you just knew it was the end for Solo...even though I'd have been much happier if this had come in Episode VIII...but again, I understand why it was done now...

The New Characters:

Rey - excellent, loved Daisy Ridley in this film
Finn - good, more so when paired with Poe, who also worked well for me
BB-8 - superb...and thankfully not too cute
Maz Kanata - a little rushed perhaps...need time to figure out exactly who she is and what she is all about...
Lor San Tekka - Max von Sydow's character seems little more than an extra...
Kylo Ren - exceded my expectations...looking forward to more
Supreme Leader Snoke - need to see much more of Snoke, obviously...
General Hux - well played, vying for power with Ren was a nice addition to the politics within the First Order
Captain Phasma - can only be viewed as a marketing ploy...no depth at all awarded to this character

Looking forward to Episode VIII..? I am...much more from Luke...the relationship with Rey...Kylo Ren's development...Finn too...and let us not forget...there could well be another major character still to return...and possibly slip into Han Solo's seat in the Falcon...a certain smooth talking smuggler come Baron administrator then General..?

Dantooine

Padawan
A few more thoughts.

Captain Phasma - why didn't they have her fight Finn instead if a random stormtrooper? That's got to be a mistake. Phasma does nothing except lower the shield!

Solo dying didn't upset me, but Chewey's reaction did. That was really amazing, something no cgi character could do. The film moved on fairly quickly, but Chewey lost his best bud - heartbreaking!

Loved the sequence in the Falcon where the gun got stuck and Rey angled the ship so Finn could shoot the Tie. Massive applause from the crowd at that. Also loved how they came to get in the Falcon.

Max Von Sydow... Was he Boba Fett? Could've been, but not listed in the credits as such.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom